Legend of Mana - Gameplay Footage

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on some gameplay footage for Legend of Mana Remaster. The game is due to release on Steam June 24th.

Famitsu has shared a video, showing 8 minutes of gameplay footage from the upcoming remaster of Legend of Mana. This gameplay video will give you an idea of what you can expect from this JRPG.

[...]

More information.

so they've left the sprites basically unchanged

The sprites look like shit, but I liked the background. Why can't these remasters ever be good? This is a pretty good game

WOW! The party vanquishes that cute white rabbit in auto-battle mode at 3:00. :-o

I'm ok with the remasters just being re-used sprites and such, graphics aren't a huge deal for me, yet you have to give something new to the consumers or it's not really a remaster, right? So, imo, you have to increase something in the old package....graphics, more content, something to make it worth-while and fair to consumers that maybe purchased this item in the past.

That was exactly my thought. It's odd that they left the characters so pixelated against higher resolution backgrounds.
Seems to be a common thing with PC ports of older console games. I was looking at all those tactical NIS games (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, etc) and they have nice backgrounds with very pixelated sprites. Perhaps something to do with how the type of asset each is based on.

I'm ok with the remasters just being re-used sprites and such, graphics aren't a huge deal for me, yet you have to give something new to the consumers or it's not really a remaster, right? So, imo, you have to increase something in the old package….graphics, more content, something to make it worth-while and fair to consumers that maybe purchased this item in the past.

It seems companies like to call it remaster if they bring old game to new platform. Suppose its not port to them anymore, if its 10+ years old.

Seems to be a common thing with PC ports of older console games. I was looking at all those tactical NIS games (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, etc) and they have nice backgrounds with very pixelated sprites. Perhaps something to do with how the type of asset each is based on.

With prior remasters the sprites have been smoothed to the point that detail has been lost, to vocal outcry. After various attempts with other releases which didn't work it seems they have opted to leave the sprite the same for this remaster.

To me, that's not a remastering at all, I'd simply call that a port of a product, nothing more. A remaster to me implies some change, and I cannot understand how someone could perceive it differently.

With prior remasters the sprites have been smoothed to the point that detail has been lost, to vocal outcry. After various attempts with other releases which didn't work it seems they have opted to leave the sprite the same for this remaster.
And I guess with backgrounds there is some sort of higher resolution master, and if not, they can do some fancy upsample or blending or some other sort of processing that makes it look good, but with sprites there isn't some sort of higher resolution "master sprite" they can work off. They'd have to recreate the sprite, which obv they find to be too much work.

And I guess with backgrounds there is some sort of higher resolution master, and if not, they can do some fancy upsample or blending or some other sort of processing that makes it look good, but with sprites there isn't some sort of higher resolution "master sprite" they can work off. They'd have to recreate the sprite, which obv they find to be too much work.

Thats it exactly, a cash grab.

The reaction of some fans to the updated sprites in rereleases of FFV and FFVI was very vocally negative, so Square may have concluded there’s no point spending money on something that’ll just get you negative word-of-mouth in the old school crowd.

The reaction to the updated sprites in some of their older games was due to the way they were smoothed-out not from being higher res. The characters looked like someone smeared vaseline on them. If they could just increase the resolution without the smoothing effect, I'm pretty sure most people would be cool with it.

Back
Top Bottom