Baldur's Gate: EE - Review

Still a very enjoyable game after 22 years!

The only feature that I didn't enjoy too much is the 2.0 ruleset, mainly because I had never played it before. Mostly just a getting-used-to issue though.

Bah 22 years that just means I'm old. I remember playing the original version when I was a young teenager. It was a X-Mas gift along with Fallout 2. Good time that was.

Bah 22 years that just means I'm old. I remember playing the original version when I was a young teenager. It was a X-Mas gift along with Fallout 2. Good time that was.

I remember it was sold out at one store and I got the last copy at a computer store in a mall. Was also right before Christmas. I was 29 though, so get off my lawn you young punk :biggrin:

i feel you! good times indeed !!

I was late to the party on this one at original release, due to an absurd fascination with Everquest at the time. I think it was almost two years after release before I first got around to playing it, loved it to pieces and went back to my mmo. -p

Fallout 2 I did play on day of release, it must have happened just before I got involved with Everquest. It was my last solo game for quite a while.

My gawd... a teenager. I wish. I was nearing my first divorce when I played it when it came out. (Thankfully, my second marriage worked out better... though now I'm afraid of playing any Baldur's Gate game again!) =)

lol SSIGuy.

Low chance theres a cause and effect there :)

I went back through to replay this so I'd have a character for the Siege of Dragonspear expansion. After all this time, I find that the pathfinding logic is still ridiculously addled. Come on developers, this is supposed to be the enhanced edition!

I went back through to replay this so I'd have a character for the Siege of Dragonspear expansion. After all this time, I find that the pathfinding logic is still ridiculously addled. Come on developers, this is supposed to be the enhanced edition!

When was your replay? They released a major update a few months ago that supposedly included improvements to the pathfinding.

Personally, I never had a big issue with it even in the original.

Just finished a full playthrough. I added a ton of mods, plus SoD which I hadn't played. It was really enjoyable (It's been at least 5 years since I did a play through). The combination of the Ascension mod plus the NPC quests for Neera, Rasaad and Hexxant really made ToB much more enjoyable (I hated how linear it was in the past).

I am still amazed at how in all my play throughs, I don't think I've ever had the same prologue twice! Such an amazing game.

The combination of the Ascension mod plus the NPC quests for Neera, Rasaad and Hexxant really made ToB much more enjoyable (I hated how linear it was in the past).

I'll probably avoid the Beamdog NPCs when I do my EE run prior to BG3, but I'm thinking of using the Ascension mod. Despite not wanting the harder boss battles, I like what I've heard about the options it adds to the final chapter.

I'm a heathen who purchased and played bg2 before I played bg1. I've probably replayed bg1 many times more than bg2 which has also been played to death. Good times and I still have my boxes and manuals etc.

I'm a heathen who purchased and played bg2 before I played bg1. I've probably replayed bg1 many times more than bg2 which has also been played to death. Good times and I still have my boxes and manuals etc.

Same here - played BG2 first ... and honestly I don't think there is anything about BG1 that isn't improved in BG2 and I don't have the same romantic feelings about BG1 - but to be clear it is still an incredible and groundbreaking game that I love.

I like this guy's YouTube channel - found him on a couple of Solasta videos and he does a good job with things.

Same here - played BG2 first … and honestly I don't think there is anything about BG1 that isn't improved in BG2 and I don't have the same romantic feelings about BG1 - but to be clear it is still an incredible and groundbreaking game that I love.

I like this guy's YouTube channel - found him on a couple of Solasta videos and he does a good job with things.

Sometimes I prefer to play a low level campaign. Bg2 is fun but it can get to epic levels quite quickly and I prefer the challenge of lower levels and less options sometimes. Plus Bg1 is a little less linear than bg2 in some respects so that aids my immersion some and keeps it fresh.

Unless my memory is off (which is a possibility) I remember someone posting semi-frequent hype about the upcoming BG1 months before it was released, and many of us had our eyebrows raised as if it was just another hyped-up game at a time when RPGs seemed to be going downhill. But BG1 delivered bigtime, and I remember enjoying it a whole lot early on.

I still remember and quote "Never had rats" from the first inn (in I think Candlekeep?) and "Wife's been getting prickly on me arse." Good times.

I've replayed BG1 a couple of times over the decades, including maybe 10 years ago, and it mostly holds up over the years, though BG2 I always felt is one of the greatest of all games.

honestly I don't think there is anything about BG1 that isn't improved in BG2
BG1: Nature.
BG2: City.

That's basically it. Oh, and low vs high level, obviously.

Yeah, I remember we talked about this before. I think BG2 definitely built on BG1 in many ways, but I did miss that lower level exploration, just wandering about in woods and ruins. I usually find that that I enjoy RPGs more the less they tend towards earth-shattering events.

Back
Top Bottom