Prey - How Arkane Studios Designed Prey

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Noclip has published a new documentary on Prey.

How Arkane Studios Designed Prey - Documentary

We talk to the team at Arkane Austin about the design of their immersive sim cult classic, Prey.

Timestamps:

• 00:00 - Intro
  • 01:58 - Why call it "Prey"
  • 07:22 - Creating the Space Station of Talos 1
  • 22:22 - Managing Player Choice
  • 31:15 - The Mimic
  • 37:06 - Trouble with GLOO Cannons
  • 43:45 - Harvey's Thoughts
  • 45:35 - Mooncrash
  • 51:55 - The Ending (Spoilers)
  • 52:35 - Prey's Reviews & Legacy
  • 57:22 - Credits
More information.

This is a good documentary, as are the several other documentaries I have watched from Noclip.

The attention to detail in Prey really elevated it in my view to being a great game.

Never played the game it never interested me. Actually no modern games from Arkane except Dishonored 1&2 did. Now we have Deahloop which I have no opinion.

Anyway yeah Noclip does great Documentaries.:nod:

I've not played it either, even if I have been tempted a few times. When the stack of current games is depleted, I might.

Not sure about Deathloop. I think I'll follow WolfEye Studios' games more closely than Arkane Studios', from now on.

Never played the game it never interested me. Actually no modern games from Arkane except Dishonored 1&2 did. Now we have Deahloop which I have no opinion.

Anyway yeah Noclip does great Documentaries.:nod:
You should play it because it's my #1 game at the bottom while it's JDR's #1 game on the top.
We need someone who'd place it somewhere in the middle of some "games I recommend" list. :p

I wanted to buy Deathloop, but apparently the game performance on PC is horrible as if it's Warner's Arkham Knight.

I was lukewarm on Deathloop, but now that it's out and I've seen people playing it/writing about it, I'm a whole lot more interested. Which means that for the first time I'm feeling the pinch of not being able to buy (as in find) a next gen console yet (my computer is in no way good enough to run it either)

I'm not a shooter player, but Prey had a unique feeling to it that made it quite fun. Solid game.

You should play it because it's my #1 game at the bottom while it's JDR's #1 game on the top.
We need someone who'd place it somewhere in the middle of some "games I recommend" list. :p

I wanted to buy Deathloop, but apparently the game performance on PC is horrible as if it's Warner's Arkham Knight.
Can't get past the setting and the puzzles. IE not interested ;)

Anyway they talked about how using the Prey name probably alienated players, and hurt it's sales. As Prey was very different from what they released. It was a pure shooter.

As for Deathloop's performance on PC it's because of DRM. It's the same problem the latest Resident Evil game had as well. So blame Denuvo once again.

Anyway they talked about how using the Prey name probably alienated players, and hurt it's sales. As Prey was very different from what they released. It was a pure shooter.

I doubt that. Prey has never had high name recognition.

None of Arkane's games have sold well, which is unfortunate. I like them. But I'm well used to liking things that the majority of humanity does not.

None of Arkane's games have sold well, which is unfortunate. I like them. But I'm well used to liking things that the majority of humanity does not.
Watch the first twenty minutes of the video not my words. Arkane wanted nothing to do with the Prey name because of their experience with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Bethesda wouldn't budge and they had to bend the knee.

Whats interesting is the prototype version was never called Prey it was meant for a different game. Raphaël Colantonio pulled no punches in his interviews.

He hated Bethesda and it's one of the reasons he left the studio.

On Deathloop, I've been watching my partner play it for a bit, and I'm unimpressed. It's not exactly the same type of game, but I'd recommend Returnal instead, now that is a pretty damn good game.

Yeah, I don't think using the name had a major impact either way. The original Prey from Human Head Studios was more than a decade old at that point and was never hugely popular.

Ironically, both games were underrated in a similar manner. (Imo)

Can't get past the setting and the puzzles. IE not interested ;)
Puzzles? I wish I remember any.
There is some retarded minigame but you see it a few times and that's it.

All I remember from Prey is trashmobs respawning and every room full of retarded mushrooms. Console mushrooms. In a PC game.
Regardless of atrocities I did finish the game. But I wish my money went elsewhere.
On Deathloop, I've been watching my partner play it for a bit, and I'm unimpressed. It's not exactly the same type of game, but I'd recommend Returnal instead, now that is a pretty damn good game.
There is another timeloop game, Outer Wilds I believe is the title.
Sadly I didn't have enough time to play it.

As I'm #1 fan of timeloop movies (movies, not TV filler episodes!) and watched almost all that exist, almost and not all, for example skipped garbage Naked which is hollywood's remake of swedish Naken.
So I'll be buying the game as I want to know what they did there.

Back
Top Bottom