Turn Based Lovers - On The Radar - September 2021

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Like every month The Turn Based Lovers checked out the upcoming tactical / turn-based games:

On The Radar - September 2021

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a t-hing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."
- Douglas Adams

I have to make a confession, a terrible confession: until a few days ago I'd never read a novel written by Douglas Adams. Now I'm aware that Adams was a true genius, capable of being extremely hilarious and smart, at the same time.
Just reading one of his book, a sentence caught my attention, a sentence that I immediately linked to the release of Ultimate Adom.
He wrote: "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be".
I don't know if all of you are aware of the debates that accompanied the release of this game so now I try to summerize what happened. Essentially, when the developer decided to release the full version of the game, some people got angry (or at least, concerned) because some features and some promised contents seemed to be missing.

[...]

RIFT WIZARD - 1st SEPTEMBER
TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY - 2nd SEPTEMBER
PATHFINDER: WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS - 2nd SEPTEMBER
ENCASED - 7th SEPTEMBER
THE LOST KING OF AVALON - 15th SEPTEMBER
GAMEDEC - 16th SEPTEMBER
THE AMAZING AMERICAN CIRCUS - 16th SEPTEMBER
SHELTERED 2 - 21st SEPTEMBER
LEMNIS GATE - 28th SEPTEMBER
SGS AFRIKA KORPS: TUNISIA - 28th SEPTEMBER
ASTRIA ASCENDING - 30th SEPTEMBER
ROGUE LORDS - 30th SEPTEMBER
BLOOD BOWL 3 - SEPTEMBER
SMALL SAGA - SEPTEMBER
More information.

Two huge RPGs 5 days apart… Pathfinder and Encased.

I've played a few hours of Encased in early access and I liked it and it has a great potential, so I decided not to play it anymore and wait for the full game. I'm looking forward to it, but since I've already played it quite a bit, I think I'll start with Pathfinder: WotR. It launches today, so that makes sense. But if it turn outs too buggy, it will be put on hold and I'll play Encased.

In this list there a couple games I'm curious about, but they couldn't have a worse timing to launch. I think the sales of the first weeks aren't as important for smaller developers as for the AAA games, but I hope it doesn't discourage them to keep supporting the games and keep making more. There's no way I'll buy those games any time soon, with Pathfinder and Encased being big and time consuming RPGs.

I'm curious about THE LOST KING OF AVALON, GAMEDEC and ASTRIA ASCENDING.

Besides the obvious Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Encased and Gamedec (this one, to an extent), I also liked The Lost King of Avalon.

I don't think I'd heard of it until now, but there's a demo on Steam. I'm downloading it now.

Let us know if you liked it, please!

Let us know if you liked it, please!

I played it briefly. It's somewhat simplistic, but I think it has a certain charm. You start with just the character you create and then find or hire up to 3 companions. You can choose your gender and class, but Paladin is the only class available in the demo.

The map seems to be decent size, but you can only see a certain number of hexes beyond your location. There are a good number of castles, towns, and various kinds of dungeons scattered about. There are random encounters, some of which you can see on the map, and sometimes you'll see other parties fight each other.

There isn't a lot of strategy to the battles though. You can move once and attack once, and you can't attack diagonally. There are various perks for the different classes.

You should check it out. The demo is a fairly small download.

Back
Top Bottom