What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Why are you watching bad movies? Browse this thread, there are many good ones suggested and you don't even know they exist.

I tried watching Thor: Ragnarok, as Thor has always been one of my favourite mythos/Marvel characters, but it was simply all over the place, literally. It'd be nice to see a heroic movie keep the plotline simply and clear for once, not some garbled mess that falls apart fifteen minutes into the flick.

What you talking about, Thor: Ragnarok was my personal favorite superhero flick since Watchmen :p Normally can't stand the formulaic Marvel junk, but Taika Waititi nailed the comedy in Ragnarok.

Ok, well, I did laugh at the Thor-frog reference, that was an absolutely brilliant few comics to read back in the day. Also, seeing Beta Ray Bill (at least his head) was kind of cool, but the rest of the movie was pretty yawn-worthy. At least I polished off a book I'd been working on for quite a while.

Now, if the next Thor offering is the Frog line, or a Beta Ray Bill set-up, I'd be keen on those.

Someone said it would be good. It wasn't.
Before taking one's suggestion, I do ask what they think about a few titles I watched to learn a bit about their taste. Sometimes it's not possible as the person did not watch any of those I bring up - in such case I base the taste on their life.

Lemme detail the second example. An acquaitance suggested me Trainspotting as the best film ever made. She was into drugs, but heavy ones, those I call chemistry. Those that I describe as big no no and if you don't change get off my property.
To this day I didn't watch that movie as I bet it's about her life. A life I don't want to have anything with. Ever. I'll die an ignorant fool.
Normally can't stand the formulaic Marvel junk, but Taika Waititi nailed the comedy in Ragnarok.
This. Humor. If there weren't any, all those superhero movies would suck.

Trainspotting is kind of a horror movie to me, as I worked in Baltimore when it first came out. Some of that stuff in that film hit way too close to home, quite stunning and horrifying at the same time. Quite similar to the first season of the Wire, I knew far too many people who fought the needle, and lost, badly.

Trainspotting is kind of a horror movie to me, as I worked in Baltimore when it first came out. Some of that stuff in that film hit way too close to home, quite stunning and horrifying at the same time. Quite similar to the first season of the Wire, I knew far too many people who fought the needle, and lost, badly.

Well it's absolutely not a pro hard drugs movie… it's quite a bizarre mix of comedy and drama/crime. I saw Trainspotting 2 some time ago, while not horrible i think i've grown tired of his music video style editing.

I thought it's a public toilets documentary.

Dude, I worked in Baltimore in the eighties and nineties, I saw stuff there that would leave your average Albertan running for their lives!!! I enjoy the haven I live in now, but every once in a while I miss fearing for me life on a daily/nightly basis. One day I'll go back for a visit.....maybe.

What, Alberta crime isn't enough to amuse you?

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1427650

EDIT: The whole story

You flatlanders should stick to tipping cows.

--

OK, so this. Solo was awesome. I saw it two weeks ago finally. Oppi Cunningham did a fantastic job. The best of the new Star Wars films so far (and all of them were enjoyable, if questionable). Hardly any issues in this new film (like Rogue One, it belittles what could have been an interesting backstory in the "real" files by showing the event without much thought).

And why? It wasn't a Star Wars film; it was another Indiana Jones.

I thoroughly enjoyed Solo. In fact, I think both side stories/prequels were vastly superior to the new trilogy movies. I didn't hate them, but Adam Driver plays what must surely be the most shit Star Wars villain ever, and with Leia, Luke, and Han gone, my anticipation for the third one is much decreased.

(My boy is a Star Wars fanatic, so I'll be seeing anything SW related regardless.)

What you talking about, Thor: Ragnarok was my personal favorite superhero flick since Watchmen :p Normally can't stand the formulaic Marvel junk, but Taika Waititi nailed the comedy in Ragnarok.

Yeah I really enjoyed Ragnarok. Much more so than most of the new Marvel films. Very entertaining, very funny, and a particularly inspired use of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song. Although admittedly I know squat about the source material, so it was never going to offend me by not being faithful.

Yea something seems wrong with Adam's character; or rather portrayal of the character. I don't know him (as an actor) but it still smells like a director issue.

I thoroughly enjoyed Solo. In fact, I think both side stories/prequels were vastly superior to the new trilogy movies. I didn't hate them, but Adam Driver plays what must surely be the most shit Star Wars villain ever, and with Leia, Luke, and Han gone, my anticipation for the third one is much decreased.

(My boy is a Star Wars fanatic, so I'll be seeing anything SW related regardless.)

I never understood Kylo Renn's motivation... why did he leave the resistance and how did he develop his idolization of Vader? He comes across as a complex character presented as a cipher, and impossible to identify with. Vader wanted to give the Empire to his son and would do anything to achieve that. That desire is understandable, Kylo Renn's are not.

Krull. I watched Krull last night, so I will never have to watch another movie again because you can't do better. I made my wife watch it with me because I got to pick the movie last night. She told me she was going to make me pay when it's her choice next. I knew she would love Krull.

Back
Top Bottom