Assassin's creed Vikings (rumor)

Vikings in Rome!!!

Now that's original

Depends how you look at it.

Viking is just the old Norse word for pirate, the term has been applied to everything related to Norse-Germanic culture before and after the Viking Age (8th-11th centuries) by pop-culture.

Norse-Germanic mercenaries were part of the Roman Empire army under Julius Ceasar (probably even earlier). He even used them as his personal bodyguards as did others after him.

And that was all before Marcus Aurelius and his son.

Has to be Rome at the height of the Roman Empire, surely. That links in well with Origins/Odyssey timeline quite nicely.

Perhaps then another trilogy from the dark/middle ages?

Has to be Rome at the height of the Roman Empire, surely. That links in well with Origins/Odyssey timeline quite nicely.

Perhaps then another trilogy from the dark/middle ages?
Probably as the next game ends the ancricent Trilogy. They will more then likely move onto the Dark Ages next. We might see a Charlemagne or Viking setting eventually.:nod:

A new rumor appeared on 4chan or 6chan or whateverchan - that the next AC RPG will be coop bullshit.

In my case it means money saved.

A new rumor appeared on 4chan or 6chan or whateverchan - that the next AC RPG will be coop bullshit.

In my case it means money saved.

You’d pass on a game just because it offers the ability to play with 1 other person if you want?

Seems silly, but to each their own.

You’d pass on a game just because it offers the ability to play with 1 other person if you want?

Seems silly, but to each their own.

I think that the issue here is that development, emphasis and design for a multiplayer game sometimes conflicts with pure single player design (after all you still want to produce a good multiplayer game). This sometimes degrades the single player experience.

I think that the issue here is that development, emphasis and design for a multiplayer game sometimes conflicts with pure single player design (after all you still want to produce a good multiplayer game). This sometimes degrades the single player experience.

I could understand that line of thinking if we were talking about a series like call of duty. where MP is the draw and a campaign is tacked on.

I’ve played too many games with MP options that were great SP experiences so I don’t really buy in to that.

Obviously anything is possible but I think they’d want to keep the moment that’s been built from the last 2 AC releases and will offer a SP experience on par with those if not better with the option of co-op. If this rumor is even true.

Of course I never though BioWare would make a game like anthem either, So what do I know? :biggrin:

The leak says you lead a small band of 4 NPCs that your (real life) friends can control via drop-in/drop-out co-op. That's similar to how Baldur's Gate series or Divinity Original Sins co-op worked.

Two "gaming journalists" with reputed insider information have confirmed some of the details in the leak match what they know, but not all of it…so it might not have co-op anyway.

edit
The leak in question:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...ejl0/assassins_creed_ragnarok_new_4chan_leak/

Last edited:
The leak says you lead a small band of 4 NPCs that your (real life) friends can control via drop-in/drop-out co-op. That's similar to how Baldur's Gate series or Divinity Original Sins co-op worked.

Those are not the games that come to mind for me at all. Left for Dead and Verminitide do, though.

The rumor.

Obviously some are on the line with Ubisoft and not with me.
So here's my side. Cut away coop, multiplayer or mmo from the game and then sell it as optional DLC. I do not want to pay a single dime for that bullshit as I want play that way, okay? In what world should I pay for something I don't want?
Oh it can't be removed as it's the integral part of the game? But of course it is, the game was designed with only coop in mind. Well, if the coop AC rumor is true, goodbye Ubi. Plenty of singleplayer titles out there to buy instead.

Exactly that.

Those are not the games that come to mind for me at all. Left for Dead and Verminitide do, though.

I know reading comprehension is hard. Does Left for Dead/Verminitide have a party with NPCs that you can order around in single player that can be replaced by real players in co-op? Checking online, doesn't look like it.

The AC leaks says it's similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands with its squad of NPCs you order around. Wildlands has difficulty levels and progression saves whatever you are in co-op or single players. The closest games people here might have played with this type of co-op are BG1/2 and the Divinity games.

Thanks for remembering me while I stopped posting here for months by the way.

If what is described here is accurate, it's pretty obvious the multiplayer aspect has already affected the game design (negatively), by introducing the squad. Of course you need that squad mechanic, if you want a seamless experience between single- and multiplayer.

This is fundamentally different from how it works in Games like Baldurs Gate or Divinity: Original Sin.

In BG and D:OS, you control all characters (unless multiplayer).
In AC, you won't. The AI will control the NPCs, based on some very general orders you can give (unless multiplayer).

And let's face it: when was the last time you played an RPG with AI-controlled NPCs where you thought "Hey, this is really some good AI right there!"? My answer to that: never.

PS: Regardless, l think this is probably better placed in the General RPG Forum. :)

Single vs multiplayer aside, I am highly skeptical that this is a good setting for an AC game. I am beyond tired of all the Vikings games in the first place, but even if I wasn't, it doesn't seem to fit well with AC. I'm ready for them to return to more modern settings. An east asian AC could be fantastic.

Depends how you look at it.

Viking is just the old Norse word for pirate, the term has been applied to everything related to Norse-Germanic culture before and after the Viking Age (8th-11th centuries) by pop-culture.

Norse-Germanic mercenaries were part of the Roman Empire army under Julius Ceasar (probably even earlier). He even used them as his personal bodyguards as did others after him.

And that was all before Marcus Aurelius and his son.

The idea is not bad, Vikings in Rome, although it would probably be more accurate to call them the "Varangian Guard in Constantinople", the Byzantines thought of themselves as Roman for much of their history and the shear scope of history that could encapsulate would be massive, from the height of the Western Roman Empire around 330 AD to its fall around 1453 AD, as the new world opens up (America), nations form and gunpowder is used in warfare. But I do have my biases, it would be nice if they had a kind of family lineage in the context of your characters over time and got rid of some (or all) of the pseudo mystical technological bollocks associated with Assassins Creed. Basically their historical settings are awesome but I haven't really been able to get on board with the Assassins vs Templars thing. I understand the concept of antiheroes but they surely should change their name to something more empathetic, the players should at least have some choice in the matter. Perhaps 13 year old me would have thought it a "cool" name but "ahem cough" old me is just a little too sceptical concerning titles and would have the organisation change its title over time to reflect the prevailing Weltanschauung of the various times and places.

Back
Top Bottom