Master of Magic - Caster of Magic for Windows released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The popular mod for Master of Magic got an official update for modern machines and controls on Steam:

Caster of Magic for Windows is available now.

Caster of Magic for Windows is the upgraded edition of a real classic of the strategy genre from the 90s.
The new edition of Caster of Magic which runs natively on Windows is available now.

Developed by Seravy, a well-known member of the Master of Magic community, Caster of Magic for Windows is the upgraded edition of a real classic of the strategy genre from the 90s.

Caster of Magic for Windows brings the much-loved game Master of Magic into the modern era with full and native Windows support. This includes a fully resizable game window and full screen support as well a huge amount of work put forward into making this game run with exceptional smoothness and stability.

It is not just system support improvements that have been made, however, as the gameplay that stood up to the test of time has been massively expanded. There are now variable map sizes, new game mods and options, 21 new spells seamlessly blended into the unique magic system that has kept the fans playing for decades. In fact, the original classic on steam still enjoys a 98% positive user review score at the time of writing.
Thanks Capt. Huggy Face!

More information.

Guess I'll give it a try but I would prefer to play a remaster made with a new engine.

It has new terrain graphics, which some people don't like so much. It's really just to make it run better on modern machines. It now fits a widescreen and, most notably, you can use your mouse, instead of keyboard commands for everything.

Maybe few care about this one but me, but it also seems to be entirely touchscreen friendly.

Edit: Quick note for anyone interested, this one is called Caster of Magic for Windows. The one called Caster of Magic is the straight-up old mod, which adds lots of stuff, but you're stuck with a square screen and keyboard commands, which was my biggest obstacle to playing this game.

It's wonderful to play this old gem again, for several years I would play a game of MoM quite regularly. The resizeable window is especially welcome. Still, I was surprised by how much they had upped the difficulty with this CoM-version.

As far as I recall, I used to play the original on "Hard" but with CoM, I find that just "Normal" are several stages above the Hard-setting from MoM. Monster lairs often seem 3 times stronger than I remember them, neutral towns are defended by troops from higher tiers and in larger numbers than they used to etc. etc.

I paid $2.99 for the DLC version just a few months ago. Now they want another $6.99 for a windows version.

How many hours younger me sunk in this game? Time to try it again.

Anyone tried the 'remake', World of Magic, I think it was?

Anyone tried the 'remake', World of Magic, I think it was?

No, but the same team have doubled down on that with a sequel of sorts, called "Planar Conquest". You might check that out, I hear it is less bad.

I'm myself a bit miffed that it appears I have already spent some bucks at GoG for the CoM mod and there doesn't seem to be an option to update or anything...

I wish I had played MoM when it was new. It's the kind of game I would have loved back then. Unfortunately, it was released a couple of years before the PC became my main gaming platform, and I didn't hear about it until much later. I don't think I could get into it now.

I paid $2.99 for the DLC version just a few months ago. Now they want another $6.99 for a windows version.

Or, like, as close to nothing as you can get without being nothing?

This one does seem to make the old Caster of Magic mod, now sold as DLC, obsolete, unless, like Feist was suggesting, there are balancing changes people don't like. I can't speak to that part. I missed this one back in the day. Not sure how. This kind of thing is right up my alley.

So blessed to see this gem reemerge in 2021. What a pleasant shock. :) I love this game and say to this day it is still unmatched, and still just as good as it was 20 years ago. I picked up Caster of Magic for Windows which appears to make the DLC obsolete indeed (there are many more options in the Windows version), and will start a new game as soon as I free up some time from the other games I'm currently playing. Still, I highly recommend newbies to this game to get past the older looking graphics and give it a real spin. U will be pleasantly surprised at the sheer amount of depth and genius present in this game! Still top notch entertainment for me. God bless. <3

Back
Top Bottom