InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

Default InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

May 18th, 2021, 00:17
It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 01:45
So many doubters on this thread. Seems no one remembers a game called Hunted: The Demon's Forge. It was InXile's first attempt at a big budget blockbuster.

They failed but now they have other developers and resources under Microsoft. Even Feargus of Obsidian claimed the doors have opened for them with Microsoft.

Yes isometric budget niches RPGs are good but they can't keep just making them.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 04:45
Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 05:22
I heard a rumor that it's also steampunk. Possibly related or something like an Arcanum game. We'll see…

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 05:38
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.
If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand…too bad MS didn't buy any like that…
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 05:39
Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.
What? Since when did bethesda abandon single player…you may have not have heard of a little game called starfield.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 08:49
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand…too bad MS didn't buy any like that…
Good point, didn't want to doubt or be negative. I'm hoping for the best.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 09:25
Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Old World

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 10:42
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.
The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 18th, 2021, 23:11
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.
Yep, I get what you mean. That's one of the flaws of the Witcher games. The other side of the coin is that the game is tailored to this fixed character, which makes it really good in other aspects.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.
Yep! Again I think Baldur's Gate is again the gold standard in this regard. So much customization options, but still the game really feels like it was done for your very character.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Old World

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG