InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

Default InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

May 18th, 2021, 00:17
It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.
ilm is offline

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#21

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 01:45
So many doubters on this thread. Seems no one remembers a game called Hunted: The Demon's Forge. It was InXile's first attempt at a big budget blockbuster.

They failed but now they have other developers and resources under Microsoft. Even Feargus of Obsidian claimed the doors have opened for them with Microsoft.

Yes isometric budget niches RPGs are good but they can't keep just making them.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#22

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,390
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 04:45
Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.
Voqar is offline

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob
RPGWatch Donor

#23

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 05:22
I heard a rumor that it's also steampunk. Possibly related or something like an Arcanum game. We'll see…
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#24

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 05:38
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.
If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand…too bad MS didn't buy any like that…
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#25

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,514
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 05:39
Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.
What? Since when did bethesda abandon single player…you may have not have heard of a little game called starfield.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#26

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,514
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 08:49
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand…too bad MS didn't buy any like that…
Good point, didn't want to doubt or be negative. I'm hoping for the best.
ilm is offline

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#27

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 09:25
Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Old World
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#28

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 10:42
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.
The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.

Nereida

Guest

#29

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 23:11
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.
Yep, I get what you mean. That's one of the flaws of the Witcher games. The other side of the coin is that the game is tailored to this fixed character, which makes it really good in other aspects.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.
Yep! Again I think Baldur's Gate is again the gold standard in this regard. So much customization options, but still the game really feels like it was done for your very character.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Old World
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#30

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch