Risen Risen vs Oblivion vs Two Worlds .. vs Torchlight??

Nice blog entry! I don't agree with you *at all* regarding Risen - but that's fair enough, since you remember to put a "just my opinion" sticker on every remark :)

You did make me want to revisit Two Worlds though.. many of the things you mention are indeed really cool, like stacking spell cards and items.

Of course, while the humor in Risen is intentional ... in Two Worlds it is 'so awfully written and acted it is funny' stuff.

Of course, while the humor in Risen is intentional … in Two Worlds it is 'so awfully written and acted it is funny' stuff.

Yeah, I did try to make sure that came across.

And with respect to Risen, it is a great game. I hope it didn't sound like I was dissing it too much; it's just something I'll come back to when I want a more "hardcore" experience. TW certainly is not that, but I think that's why it got such a lukewarm reception. Too many people expected to find the same game as Gothic or Oblivion and it is so far from that experience that it really can't be compared except for superficially.

If you go into TW expecting a Diablo-type game with a heaping of sandbox and B-quality writing and voiceovers, then you'll likely enjoy it. I wasn't expecting anything, so was actually quite pleasantly surprised.

"I feel like I’m exploring randomized world generator."

Exactly my opinion about Oblivion and same goes for Fallout 3. Gothics (and Risen) on the other hand have very authenticic and believable worlds that you WANT to explore.

Back
Top Bottom