The Outer Worlds - Review

RPG of the year? For now, I place it clearly second place after Greedfall. But that may or may not change as I finish the game.

12 nice hours in, and I lost the drive to keep playing.
After a while, everything feels "sterile". Even in older games the NPC are more reactive. I can point a gun to everyone's face and they don't react. I can shoot the guns all over the place, they don't react, unless I hit someone. And if I hit someone, everyone in town will know instantly and be my enemy.
The game becomes formulaic too quickly, So by the time I was exploring the third place/world, I was feeling the repetitiveness of it all.

I liked the game, but it become boring too quick for me.

Of course, having RDR2 appearing now might have robbed my time from this game as well.

RDR2 is not RPG nor you can have a robot sidekick in it. On the other hand, you can't ride a horse in Outer worlds.

Not having fun with Outer Worlds is okay, a game made for all tastes cannot exist.
But it's my goty.

It's been a pretty weak year for RPGs imo, so it wouldn't surprise me if TOW ends up being RPG of the year. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed Greedfall though.

Greedfall started out great, but I felt like it began to drag towards the end. Maybe I was just burned-out due to my completionist style, but I was relieved when it was over. I also felt like the endgame was very predictable, and I saw the plot twist coming from a mile away.

My overall GotY would probably be Metro Exodus.

disco elysium > atom > greedfall >>> outer. i mean i couldnt even bare playing it felt so bland

I'll gladly nominate Disco Elysium for Point & click Adventure Game of the Year. It deserves that much at least. ;)

Why isn't RDR2 an RPG?
It can be one if you label it as one.:p

Joking aside put 100 people in a room and everyone has a different opinion.

Just like the age old question of what is an RPG?:biggrin:

I never cared about genre semantics, personally.

I tend to care about games being good or not.

While RDR2 has its share of RPG elements, there's just not enough of the traditional ones to make me label it such.

It's more of an open world action adventure, I'd say.

I enjoyed The Outer Worlds quite a bit. I didn't find anything sterile or bland. It isn't great and I enjoyed it a bit less than Greedfall but I don't see any areas in which it should have been better.

I'm looking forward to starting RDR2 very soon. RDR1 was very good when I had a console. I too don't really care about genre names, but they can be a decent starting point for someone to learn about a new game.

I'm one of the few who doesn't like TOW. It just doesn't grab me. I like it more than Greedfall, though.

Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point.

disco elysium > atom > greedfall >>> outer. i mean i couldnt even bare playing it felt so bland
ATOM came out in 2018. There's almost no real candidates this year other than Disco Elysium, Outer Worlds, Greedfall, Queen's Wish? Like I said in some other thread a few days ago, this year rivals the horrible 2016. I guess Phoenix Point is still coming out later this year, if it can be considered an RPG - I guess it surely can be, with some of the other stuff people are considering RPGs.

edit: went through the RPGWatch release DB. Maybe Sekiro and/or Borderlands 3 would get a decent # of GOTY votes this year as well, given the slim pickings. Also, pre-release, Druidstone got a fair amount of attention but I think it was largely a gigantic flop.

Last edited:
I haven’t played this yet but like the video says..this basically looks like Fallout with a neon coat of paint. I like Obsidian and enjoyed what they did with New Vegas. But the color palette of this game just looks gross to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m tired of the typical gray/brown wasteland look. But they might have gone too far the other direction. Is the whole game like this? The game has gotten quite a bit of hype. I would hate to miss a gem just because I don’t love the art style. But damn those colors are rough on the eyes.

I haven’t played this yet but like the video says..this basically looks like Fallout with a neon coat of paint. I like Obsidian and enjoyed what they did with New Vegas. But the color palette of this game just looks gross to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m tired of the typical gray/brown wasteland look. But they might have gone too far the other direction. Is the whole game like this? The game has gotten quite a bit of hype. I would hate to miss a gem just because I don’t love the art style. But damn those colors are rough on the eyes.
Not really. That's just how it's portrayed, a bit like the city of New Vegas in Fallout: New Vegas. Most of the exploration is not like that.

My biggest issue with it is that it's first person only. It works well if you play it as a traditional shooter, but other playstyles feel a bit off. I did enjoy it though, and the humor is often excellent, but I don't see much of a reason to replay it anytime soon.

I found it very promising at first, but was ultimately disappointed.

I'd have to agree it was overall a little too safe and slightly bland. The mechanics were too simple (especially hacking, lockpicking and crafting) - and it felt very much like a typical console CRPG.

In fact, if it wasn't for the great NPC interactions, I would have to say it reminds me of the worst of Bethesda - which would probably be Oblivion.

It had a similar super mainstream approach to combat, scaling and loot - and the locations felt too similar after the first couple of locations.

I guess you could excuse it because it was a smaller budget game, but that doesn't really change what it ultimately is.

Still, the dialogue options were great - and I was able to play my favorite kind of character (ranged stealth dude) - which aided my enjoyment immensely.

I also really liked the final level, even if I rushed through it.

But I consider it a very promising beginning. Because Obsidian now has the engine and the tools in place - and they have Microsoft money and marketing.

There's no way the (very inevitable) sequel will be as limited.

That said, I worry they will stick with the mainstream and streamlined gameplay.

But you can't have it all.

I haven't played anything new this year, but I predict Outer World has better chance of winning RPG GotY - not because its better game than Greedfall or Disco Elysium but it just had wider audience appeal.

I also predict at RPGCodex, DE will take GotY.

I also predict at RPGCodex, DE will take GotY.
Definitely they always pick the least interesting and lower graphic game to win.

Or in Codex language they all have shitty taste and are in decline.:lol:

As for me it hasn't been a great year for gaming.

Just started playing Greedfall and The Outer Worlds.

Back
Top Bottom