Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It would be cool to switch portraits mid-game. You could have one portrait and then another with a crown, and maybe a scar or two, or a fiercer look but it's the same person. That would be neat. There is a way to change it mid-game, I did, but it took a lot to get to work right.

I also wonder why Regongar is listed as Medium size when he's clearly Large and has a wider attack radius. Also, I wish his wings looked more evil to suit him, since Magus gets wings at level 15.

I like Reg's wings - it reminds me of Deekin in NWN lol. But yes, I prefer angelic wings much more ;)

Maybe he's rated as Octavia's pet. Pets grow after a few levels. :biggrin:

Nyrissa and my character lived happily ever after. Pretty much. She also helped rebuild the kingdom and become loved by the people.

What's a bit more interesting is what lead to it: The key is to truly break the curse, which can only be done via five steps:
1) She must fall in love.
2) Give her the briar.
3) Research the curses.
4) Get information from Armag, Tartuk and Vordakai (two out of three) about their curse, so you can use that information when talking to Nyrissa to convince her that it's possible to break hers.
5) During the final chapter, a special area will open up via the teleporters (when you're liberating various sections). Go to that area and do some quests for the Elders there.

When facing the final boss, Nyrissa will now help out, which makes the fight considerably easier, and when it's over you can tell her to "do what you've planned" or some such thing, at which point she will effectively throw the curse right back at the Lantern King. At that point, everyone is freed from his grasp, and even the defaced sister that survived etc will eventually regain their previous form.
Thanks for the spoil, unlike you I disliked a lot the last two chapters, even more the last one without magic, and so many absurd non sense illogical consequences, facepalm.

I hadn't realized I hadn't get the full happy ending, found mine happy enough and thought it was the good ending. It's cool to know now.

But I got many results you listed:
For requirements I'm sure I didn't match for point 2 because I didn't go for Tristian first, but thankfully I still keep him in final before a (bad) patch removed him as a weird consequence (bad design).

That said, it's one more example of bad designs in last two chapter, it makes no sense to make a variation from that, as in my version, it's Neryssa that get the briar, so it could be as well used to break the curse, non sense artificial consequence as plenty in those last two chapters.

But I was still able to convince Nyrissa to not fight and instead kick ass of the Lantern King, I probably filled all other requirements than point 2, but there's also 2 curses I didn't research.

In final I got, Nyrissa is on my side for the final combat. Also for the end, the kingdom is quite happy, and we rule both the kingdom and for eternity. I don't remind well enough the details of the end, alas I had the game not setup in my native language when I did the final combat.

I don't think in this final variation the curse is really broken just ignored. After to have beat the King he offers various choices, one is just reject his proposal, and choose keep Nyrissa and don't care to have the King hate for eternity, and even argue he will be beat again and again for eternity. So he flee in rage.

Also for the secret area either I didn't found it, either it wasn't an option in this alternate ending. But overall it was a pretty happy ending anyway. But I hated so much the last two final chapters that I didn't enjoyed much the end. The only true negative is during chapter 7 Nok Nok get killed for no reason, just some badly designed weird consequence.

Thanks for the spoil, unlike you I disliked a lot the last two chapters, even more the last one without magic, and so many absurd non sense illogical consequences, facepalm.

I hadn't realized I hadn't get the full happy ending, found mine happy enough and thought it was the good ending. It's cool to know now.

But I got many results you listed:
For requirements I'm sure I didn't match for point 2 because I didn't go for Tristian first, but thankfully I still keep him in final before a (bad) patch removed him as a weird consequence (bad design).

That said, it's one more example of bad designs in last two chapter, it makes no sense to make a variation from that, as in my version, it's Neryssa that get the briar, so it could be as well used to break the curse, non sense artificial consequence as plenty in those last two chapters.

But I was still able to convince Nyrissa to not fight and instead kick ass of the Lantern King, I probably filled all other requirements than point 2, but there's also 2 curses I didn't research.

In final I got, Nyrissa is on my side for the final combat. Also for the end, the kingdom is quite happy, and we rule both the kingdom and for eternity. I don't remind well enough the details of the end, alas I had the game not setup in my native language when I did the final combat.

I don't think in this final variation the curse is really broken just ignored. After to have beat the King he offers various choices, one is just reject his proposal, and choose keep Nyrissa and don't care to have the King hate for eternity, and even argue he will be beat again and again for eternity. So he flee in rage.

Also for the secret area either I didn't found it, either it wasn't an option in this alternate ending. But overall it was a pretty happy ending anyway. But I hated so much the last two final chapters that I didn't enjoyed much the end. The only true negative is during chapter 7 Nok Nok get killed for no reason, just some badly designed weird consequence.

IIRC, @Maylander; did not enjoy the final two chapters either. Neither did I, as I clearly stated in the review.

I initially found the way to unlock the "secret ending" a bit arbitrary but now that I know all requirements, it makes sense to me now. In saying that, I think its almost impossible to unlock the secret ending in the first playthrough unless you read about it beforehand.

Also note that the ending you have got could have been caused by bugs - not design choices.

You offering the briar and Nyrissa accepting it from you is absolutely essential in breaking her curse. The briar represents Nyrissa's ability to love again - this part of her was ripped out by the Lantern King when the curse was bestowed on her. Therefore, for her to forcefully obtaining the briar doesn't resolve anything - you must be in love with her first and she must be convinced before the briar is offered.

I also managed to convince Nyrissa to fight alongside me against the Lantern King, but I didn't end up unlocking the secret ending - which ended up Lantern King breaking my curse (which was placed during the transition to chapter 7 from 6) but not Nyrissa's - Hence, my character ending up suffering from nightmare every night of seeing Nyrissa getting killed by Jabberwok over and over again.

With Nok-Nok, I think you need to be consistent with the advice you give him - either be hero or a jester. From what I read, it seems like turning him into a jester works out better to let him live at the House. I advised him to be a jester, and he survived.

Last edited:
I had already read this briar explanation, no way I find it logical, she gives it and I gave it, what's the problem? None, just an incoherent consequence as a ton others in last two chapters, I don't include the end.

For the end, clearly we got a similar final and I don't remember at all this sad detail you quote for the conclusion of this final and later for the end. I could not remind well, but it seems either you didn't get the same choices I had, either you didn't picked the one I picked,
refuse anything from the proposal, including refuse be uncursed but keep the girl on your side.

I tried beat again the final to check, and gave up, sigh, if my Nok Nok hadn't been murdered for no logical consequence that would have been less a boredom.

I had already read this briar explanation, no way I find it logical, she gives it and I gave it, what's the problem? None, just an incoherent consequence as a ton others in last two chapters, I don't include the end.

For the end, clearly we got a similar final and I don't remember at all this sad detail you quote for the conclusion of this final and later for the end. I could not remind well, but it seems either you didn't get the same choices I had, either you didn't picked the one I picked, refuse anything from the proposal.

I tried beat again the final to check, and gave up, sigh, if my Nok Nok hadn't been murdered for no logical consequence that would have been less a boredom.

Well, we can agree to disagree on the briar and the curse - it makes sense to me, it doesn't for you.

I don't know what choices you've made for Nok-Nok throughout his personal quests, but it could easily have been bugs.

I think we have slightly different endings. I was romancing Tristian, so Nyrissa didn't love me at all. So I was offered three choices. 1. Become immortal via the Lantern King 2. Become immortal via Nyrissa 3. Reject both offers and tell Lantern King to leave me and my kingdom alone. I chose the third option.

Woo a thread with spoilers would be better. For the briar, ok let close it here.
For Nok Nok from what I read you need make him a jester, I had too much respect for him to break fully his dreams, so that's probably why he didn't become jester, and why he get murdered.

Sorry but it's totally absurd as all cases of companions dying from some consequence, all totally absurd.

Anyway last minute companions removal is a so stupid design, I can't believe anybody on earth can think it's a good game design,
they was drunk when they designed the last two chapters.

EDIT: And no romance at all, it's perhaps the cause of the variations between our finals, or ends. But I don't remember for any final romance option, what's sure is it's been evoked along chapter 7 (in game count from 0 to 8) but I don't remind any conclusion on that.

Woo a thread with spoilers would be better. For the briar, ok let close it here.
For Nok Nok from what I read you need make him a jester, I had too much respect for him to break fully his dreams, so that's probably why he didn't become jester, and why he get murdered.
Regarding Nok-Nok
You don't need to make him a jester, if you support him as a hero, he can make it endgame. But you need to help him along the way, because for all his bluster, the little guy doubts himself and doesn't believe he can be a hero.

From what I recall my baron killed the giant, let the goblins keep their shrines, in the trial with the barghest used persuasion and finally in The Talk convinced the little guy he is a true hero and not a fool. The questline ended up with Nok-Nok commissioning a lovely :)lol:) statue of the baron & himself, comrades in arms.

IIRC, @Maylander; did not enjoy the final two chapters either. Neither did I, as I clearly stated in the review.
Exactly. I consider the "secret" ending the most satisfying one now that I've completed it, but that doesn't make the final two chapters particularly enjoying as a whole.

I also wonder why Regongar is listed as Medium size when he's clearly Large and has a wider attack radius. Also, I wish his wings looked more evil to suit him, since Magus gets wings at level 15.

Well keep in mind ….

You can change Reg from CE to CN so he is not evil anymore. Which is how it turned out with him in my party.

In regards to the nymph …

I can only hope I can off that [not a nice word]. She puts the Archdukes of hell to shame. Yea I know she is cursed and lost her emotions. blah blah. She (and the Lantern King of course) is still responsible for untold thousands of deaths, pain, and suffering throughout our world for centuries. Can't stand her. Certainly not going to fall in love with her.

I can only hope I can kill her. If not at least get her out of my kingdom. My main worry is getting the Lantern King to just leave the kingdom alone. Hoping if I can kill the nymph that would, effectively, end the curse she she is dead. I doubt it will be that simple though.

[/spoiler]

In regards to the nymph …

You can, it's actually the easier ending, though
you won't be able to destroy the Lantern King; at best you can get him to leave your kingdom alone.

Effectively you can take revenge on only one of them. In both cases one of the responsible parties gets away unpunished, though Nyrissa at least tries to make amends if you restore her; letting the Lantern King get away means he can continue with what he was doing all the millennia before. That he can't do so in your kingdom is not much of a consolation in my opinion, not if he can take his games somewhere else, because people will still continue to suffer and die for his amusement. Maybe that's why I found the secret ending more satisfying, at least that way you stop the evil once and for all.
I do think it would have been better if the writers didn't tie this choice to the secret romance, however, because it would have made it available to more players.

Regarding Nok-Nok
You don't need to make him a jester, if you support him as a hero, he can make it endgame. But you need to help him along the way, because for all his bluster, the little guy doubts himself and doesn't believe he can be a hero.

From what I recall my baron killed the giant, let the goblins keep their shrines, in the trial with the barghest used persuasion and finally in The Talk convinced the little guy he is a true hero and not a fool. The questline ended up with Nok-Nok commissioning a lovely :)lol:) statue of the baron & himself, comrades in arms.
Ok so it's different than what I read some time ago in the forum.

I did all you quote for Nok Nok but killed the ghost, and failed convince him he was a true hero, could only encourage him, didn't notice another option, or I had to be rude with him. Perhaps some skill check failed, or some other requirement, I don't it's the ghost the point.

I do think it would have been better if the writers didn't tie this choice to the secret romance, however, because it would have made it available to more players.

It's not just a romance problem, get the briar is a key point, and it's a dice decision, you'll get it only by luck from a decision among two choices.

That said, I didn't felt the end with Nyrissa so unsatisfying, it's a quite true win, with Lantern King raging and fleeing, and you and Nyrissa promising persecute him for eternity. Looks more like a sweet revenge to me.

The problem to not break the curse is Nyrissa does't get back what she lost, so the romance is probably impossible and you can only start it, but the end still quite happy.

You can, it's actually the easier ending, though
you won't be able to destroy the Lantern King; at best you can get him to leave your kingdom alone.

Effectively you can take revenge on only one of them. In both cases one of the responsible parties gets away unpunished, though Nyrissa at least tries to make amends if you restore her; letting the Lantern King get away means he can continue with what he was doing all the millennia before. That he can't do so in your kingdom is not much of a consolation in my opinion, not if he can take his games somewhere else, because people will still continue to suffer and die for his amusement. Maybe that's why I found the secret ending more satisfying, at least that way you stop the evil once and for all.
I do think it would have been better if the writers didn't tie this choice to the XXXXXX, however, because it would have made it available to more players.

Aye that just really annoys me.

I already have a love interest in the game. Even if I wasn't romancing someone in the game I most certainly would not want to romance Nyrissa. They should have at least made it either love or a true friendship. Without knowing the background (i.e. first time playing) who is going to love someone who lies to you and wants to destroy you? Almost impossible to always pick positive dialogue choices with her from the start of the game unless you know about it. Then the love is a lie in some ways. Course not sure you have to do that - just that I read you have to always be nice to her and pick the nice options, even when she is screwing you over, to get her to love you. It may not be that absolute though and maybe there is some point where you find out what happened and try to help her anyhow.

Anyhow I do like the idea of defeating the Lantern King (you said letting go … I don't know if you can kill him ever or just defeat him … I read he was immortal). But since I don't feel any love for Nyrissa it isn't possible (unless I meta-game) for me to truly love her and hence get that ending. I Also can't see spending eternity with her :p

I guess he is one of those powerful entities you have to accept. I mean I can't punish Lamastu (sp), or any of the archdukes of hell, or Ungathard (sp?) or other evil gods/beings. So in my mind not being able to punish the LK isn't much different then not being able to punish evil deities. At best you hope you can thwart their plans.

In a very removed way I do sympathize with Nyrissa. She seems nice before her emotions were removed and she got cursed. Her Lost Prince seems nice (yea I read some spoilers) and really the LK is mostly to blame, although even the Elder had decided to kill her I think for daring to try and become another Elder (little hazy on that lore since I only skimmed reading as I was just trying to find out about killing Nyrissa when reading some spoilers). So she was in love and wanted a kingdom and the LK was a total dick about it all.

So then our world suffers for the various machinations of the First World. Although ... Stolen Lands ... one thing I haven't checked yet - are the stolen lands originally from the First World and belonged to the LK? And hence the only reason we have this kingdom in the mortal world is because it was created out of the first world? Hazy on that as well.

Anyhow 90 days from end of curse 5 so I expect I will find out soon enough.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Last edited:
Aye that just really annoys me.

I already have a love interest in the game. Even if I wasn't romancing someone in the game I most certainly would not want to romance Nyrissa..

Thanks for your reply and thoughts.
Looks like you haven't finished a first play so I won't enter in details, but in short if you collect information, and all her story, there are good reason to XXXXX her,
even more if you also become immortal as her.

For others and bigger spoils:
It's the curse that make her so evil, and despite that, you can give her some humanity back, even without breaking the curse.

Moreover the hidden sect of good suggest you to help her. For me overall she seems an interesting person, much more than Tritian or any other companions, but Linzi, alas romance a book would be hard, sigh.

The only problem is no romance if you don't break the curse, and no breaking curse if you didn't made a lucky choice at a point.

Thanks for the added information. But I really would have no reason to ever love her. Simply not what I or my character would do. And can't fake love. You can pretend but you can't fake a true love. You can't feel what you don't feel.

I suspect I could like her very well as a friend, possibly love as a sister type of thing, but not a romantic love. I am sure she is not everyone's type anyhow even if they saw past what she did and forgave her knowing it was both the curse and the loss of her emotions (humanity ... which, since she is Fey, doesn't really apply as she was never human to begin with) which made her do all those evil things.

In regards to immortality ... that is a mixed bag and far too large of a topic for here. Not everyone wants immortality. Look how bored the nympth was with it. Also Jaethal fills you in on some of the pitfalls of an ultra long life with the elfs.

The idea of being immortal has a lot of appeal but it isn't without its downsides either.

Still I guess I will know more soon enough :)

Long game as I still have to finish chapter 5 and on 92 hours so far.

Back
Top Bottom