RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2017 - Most Promising RPG

I don't think PoE2 will be turn-based, which would be the only realistic improvement.
Especially as they compromized so much to please UgoIgo players and went so far to degrade a RT battle experience.

There is no point in playing that product as it is mainly UgoIgo principles sugarcoated to appear as RT battles.

At that stage, the product would be better if it accepted what it is: a UgoIgo governed product and repeal the disguise.

Actually that would probably be my primary complaint too, but I chalk a lot of that up to the unavoidable clusterfuck generally inherent in RTwP.

It took a long time to understand that kind of statements. Because it is not that easy to figure out that people complain about their own shortcomings and blame the consequences.

Organizing a battlefield to one's own advantage is a big principle in RT, it is all about making things happen when and where they are decided to happen.

A core goal that does not exist in UgoIgo and a core goal that UgoIgo players keep dismissing when playing RT products as so many of them display that kind of cultural supremacist mindset, it is their ways or there is no other way.

RT players come with the mindset of clarifying a battlefield, this is the goal to get the upperhand, make the battlefield easy to read.
UgoIgo players disregard this demand and lament the consequences.

I am recently playing "The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians" and that game works surprisingly good with RTwP and it also shows why it doesn't for other games (if you want to get maximum efficiency out of it).

First of all TFOTDG is a first person dungeon crawler. That means that you do not have any pixel perfect positioning as in games like Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age and therefore also doesn't require you to hit pause in this very split second as the destination is reached.

In Addition you have 5-6 seconds of global cooldown. So no matter how good you time your abilities, there are huge (for rtwp combat) delays between abilities anyways.

And you can queue abilities, which you can actually do in lots of rtwp games now. You can also click on a macro button to add 5 pre defined abilities to the queue. Not a huge feature but adds to make it better to use.

There is still the issue of getting the max out of auto attacks. Auto attacks happen when no abilities are executed even when clobal cooldown is active, do considerable damage and can be "replaced" within the 0.5 seconds of execution by an ability. This however means that essentially you will lose 0.5 seconds, which, in a 6 sec rotation, is almost 10% and therefore quite a lot (well at least much more than most of the item upgrades in any game do, considering a +10% crit chance for 200 dmg would increase the damage for about the same amount if you don't have any crit chance yet).
But to time this perfectly is basically impossible (unless you play on like 10% game speed in addition to pauses) and in addition it's not necessary. RTwP games also profit from auto heals and auto rezzes after each combat, so that you don't "need" to minmax every single combat.

In any case, personally I am not going to play Pillars of Eternity 2 due to the RTwP combat and many other game being out there which fit my taste better.

Last edited:
Phoenix Points looks interesting; I could always go for more X-Com style tactical combat.

Running a very casual Pathfinder tabletop campagin atm, I'm also looking forward to Kingmaker.

We have enough turn-based games to choose from. I'm glad PoE is RTwP.

Preach.

I just finished Siege of Dragonspear, btw. The final boss battle is the best battle I've had in a RTWP game yet. Really good stuff, IMO.

Side note about RTWP, but Ember has a cool little RTWP system. I'd recommend giving that game a peek if you have nothing else to play right now. Somewhat casual RPG but still worth a look, IMO.

Last edited:
Fluent changed his avatar.

I just finished Siege of Dragonspear, btw. The final boss battle is the best battle I've had in a RTWP game yet. Really good stuff, IMO.
I thought it was about average to be honest; the Heart of Winter end fight was more memorable for me, as were any of the dragon fights from BG2 (especially Firkraag and Saladrex) plus some of the more epic Throne of Bhaal fights were also a bit more intense. (Draconis/Abazigal, Illasera, etc) Much of this naturally depends upon character selection and strategic choices too.

The question of what our all time favourite RtwP battles are would make for a neat thread though, if no-one hasn't already done it...

My favourite was Firkraag - my first dragon kill!!

I was not familiar with the whole D&D rule set at the time and didn't use awesome spells like lower magic resistance, greater malison and finger of death (because I didn't fully understood what these are for) to kill him! I WAS SO DAMNED THRILLED, I got up and yelled out "YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". When I saw Carsomyr off his corpse, I almost cried in joy *sniff*

My favourite was Firkraag - my first dragon kill!!

A beautiful moment! :)

This definitely needs it's own thread Pessimeister, it's a good topic. My immediate quick draw reaction was "Yxonomei from Icewind Dale", but then I thought about it for a bit and there are so many others. I haven't quite settled on a winner yet.

Yxonomei was wicked. Forgot about her, actually, haha. I should mention I haven't played far enough in BG2 ever to get to the tougher fights and never finished the IWD expansions. I'm also currently playing on Hard with Sword Coast Stratagems installed, if that matters. So I'm a RTWP newb, really. :D

The end battles of IWD + BG were cool, too.

Back
Top Bottom