Pillars of Eternity II - Ship Crew Unlocked

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
If you are thrilled about sailing a ship in Pillars of Eternity II, you will probably appreciate that the ship crew stretch goal has been unlocked.

If you recall, Ship Crews offer a whole new layer of interactivity for player ships: Find, hire, and manage a crew. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

This also puts in reach our next two goals: Sea Monsters and Fishing at $4.75 million and, of course, our 8th Companion, Ydwin, at $5 million. As a reminder, the Pillars II developers gave some details on how Sea Monsters and Fishing would work in a previous update.

In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures. Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

We're excited to see if we can achieve the next two goals before the 60-day slacker-backer period is up!
More information.

(...)

In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures.

(...)

Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

Sounds like a fishing simulator. How and when has this campaign turned into a parody?

Indeed that sounds way too detailed for a mere side feature.

I'm more into fishing as it has been done in Underrail or even HoMM: WoG, adding a drop of flavor without taking up too much.

I don't recall people having a problem with bread making in Ultima. Isn't this the same thing?

I don't recall people having a problem with bread making in Ultima. Isn't this the same thing?

You could already cook in the first Pillars game, fish were found as loot or bought from merchants.

Food bonuses is now a rest bonuses in POE2, so all this update change is adding a bunch of dialogue scripted event window to pick baits to get some fishes to cook instead of finding them in crates and barrels in dungeons.

In the Deadfire Archipelago, the sea creatures fish you...

Fishing sounds like something easy to implement that certain players will enjoy. Whatever. Seriously, I'm more interested in the hire-able ship crews. Hopefully they make them fully interactive and useful with some interesting tales and lore. Especially the ship's officers.

I'm more into fishing as it has been done in Underrail or even HoMM: WoG, adding a drop of flavor without taking up too much.
And fishing didn't cost 250k $ in Underrail. Actually whole Underrail didn't cost 250k and it is 3x better game than PoE.

I'm over the need for ever RPG to have a "home base" and overly detailed and mostly useless crafting thing going on. Can't RPGs just be RPGs anymore?

8th companion, ydwin? Let me guess is a mermaid that you can only catch with very special bait while fishing on your ship.:biggrin:

Anyway I think I've already made it pretty clear I don't care for the whole ship thing so I won't go into that.

I guess the only thing I want to know is if it's required to some point or if I can just grab a ship to get to the RPG parts and skip any managing, fishing, scripted events etc.

And fishing didn't cost 250k $ in Underrail. Actually whole Underrail didn't cost 250k and it is 3x better game than PoE.

No, it is not.

Whew. Delightful arguing with you.

The amount needed to reach a stretch goal isn't the same as the cost to implement the stretch goal. It's more like the prize in a cereal box, or the free glass for filling up your tank. But now I'm dating myself... :)

Shut your face holes!

I resubscribed to World of Warcraft once JUST FOR THE FISHING.

Sadly this is not a joke.

Anyway, not backing this because $29 is a bit steep. I'll wait for a gog sale at $20. (and yes I know I paid $15 to fish in WoW for a month...shut up).

The amount needed to reach a stretch goal isn't the same as the cost to implement the stretch goal. It's more like the prize in a cereal box, or the free glass for filling up your tank. But now I'm dating myself… :)
Obviously, but that was my point. It is hilariously bad from Obsidian to act like they are doing this great thing. Fuck em!

Nothing wrong with a bit of fishing in Torchlight now and again; I liked some of the random catches for the pet. Not that it's a particularly deep thing, more just a quick pleasant optional distraction for every now and again, which I suspect is just how this will be.

The whole business of stretch goals is a bit arbitrary - mainly a way to keep the dollars rolling in. At least these simple deliverables are a lot safer to promise. I don't mind some of these little peripheral activities in an RPG, though I'd hardly pay extra for the privilege.

Yeah many of those strech goals are quite arbitary. Still I'm happy they manage to keep the ball rolling. More money they can allocate to PoE2 development the better for us. And looks like we're getting that eight companion soon. :)

Shut your face holes!

I resubscribed to World of Warcraft once JUST FOR THE FISHING.

Sadly this is not a joke.

I was a master fisherman in Everquest, which took more time to achieve than I care to admit.

Back
Top Bottom