What games are you playing now?

Yes, it would have been much more fulfilling for the player.. maybe a quest to look for the parts to it. Odd design choice imo.

I'm liking it so far as well, but I'm not sure about the jetpack. It's neat, but I feel like maybe it should have been something we got later in the game instead of at the very beginning.

Yeah, I didn't like the Power Armor being in one of the very first quests in F4 either. I haven't bought Elex yet, but I plan on getting it pretty quickly.

Here:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38110

I don't like the jetpack's doublespace/hold mechanics but am not sure how to rebind it. But I can't agree with JDR on it as there is a nice loot spot to hover up on early ruins sidequest (exit). Can't lockpick the chest there though, it needs level 2 and I have it only on level 1 from early amulet.

Anyway, where is Elex early impressions thread? I don't want to spam about it in here.

What to play now. Need a game that last approx 3 weeks. Battle Brothers? Underrail? Dishonored two; deus ex (the new one); fallout 4; MEA. I think that is 95% of my backlog. Any of them short ?

What to play now. Need a game that last approx 3 weeks. Battle Brothers? Underrail? Dishonored two; deus ex (the new one); fallout 4; MEA. I think that is 95% of my backlog. Any of them short ?

Depends how much time you spend daily on gaming. I finished Deus Ex:MD not long ago and thought it was excellent. I highly recommend it.

I haven't played any RPG since finishing Expeditions:Viking (unless Princess Maker 2 counts as RPG). For some reason, neither D:OS2 and ELEX intrigued me. I'm looking for something new to play… considering Mount&Blade but just a tad concerned cause I don't usually enjoy sandbox games. I guess I can go back to TW3 (thinking if starting new game sinces its been too long playing last save).

I've been playing Grid and (gasp) Sword Coast Legends. If you can keep an open mind re what they decided to do to the rule system the main story isn't that bad so far tbh.

Still enjoying Prey.

I don't think I've seen a better, bigger, and more beautifully rendered space station. Enjoying the disorienting zero-g spacewalks outside the station, except for those annoying typhons. ;)

This game is all about hoarding junk, my specialty. ;)

I started playing Tales of Symphonia about a week ago, I thought it would be a quick cute game, but a week later and I'm still deep into it. I paid like five bucks for this thing and totally got my moneys' worth, and I'm pretty sure I'm not even close to finishing. It is a jprg but more action oriented, which normally isn't my thing but a couple friends told me I should really try it, and they were absolutely correct.

Does it play well with kb/m or are you using conteoller?

I started playing Tales of Symphonia about a week ago, I thought it would be a quick cute game, but a week later and I'm still deep into it. I paid like five bucks for this thing and totally got my moneys' worth, and I'm pretty sure I'm not even close to finishing. It is a jprg but more action oriented, which normally isn't my thing but a couple friends told me I should really try it, and they were absolutely correct.

I'm using a controller for this game, it is far too action based to even try keyboard and mouse, at least for me. The actual combat is quite twitchy, again not really my type of game, but it is seriously fun enough to put up with the fighting style.

I've started playing Assassin's Creed Origins, and am very pleasantly surprised. I had almost no expectations, and haven't really played the series, except for the first one which I completed right when it came out.

It's surprising how different of a game this is. It took very many design decisions from Witcher 3. Graphically it looks amazing, and being able to do all the climbing and parkour mechanics in an open world game is great.

I've got some issues with the combat system, in that I sometimes have trouble keeping control of the battle, but one thing is for sure. It's 1000x better than the combay system they had in previous games. That was a huge snore-fest. This is actually decent. It's quite generic action-oriented, very similar to The Witcher 3, or other action games.

I'm having loads of fun, and not really sure why. Is it the low expectations, or did they actually do something good? I'll know more in time.

hm. I just had a look on Steam and Assassin's creed: origins if ZAR850...about 50% more than I usually pay for a game. Part of that is our currency tanking (again: thanks corrupt politicians), but still seems like a expensive game. If it ever becomes dirt cheap I may check it out, but for now I'll stick to Elex.

I just had to also heap praise on Assassin's Creed: Origins. Holy awesome sauce! My friend bought it to test out his new computer because I had mentioned to him that it looked promising and intriguing, and we just tried it out today. I don't have the game yet, but am planning on buying it sometime after I get through a few more games of my backlog. Anyway, fan-boy-like gushing follows! :biggrin:

This is based on a short play session, but me and my friend were both very, very impressed. My friend has a large screen tv/monitor that is 1080p.
AC: Origins is just gorgeous. The water effects are some of the best I have seen in a game for a very long time. (especially underwater) The ambiance is stellar, not just graphically, with the architecture being both beautiful and realistic, but sandstorms and wildlife and visuals all making you feel like this is an authentic re-imagining of what Ancient Egypt might have been like.

Even better, the sound design is unbelievable. The environmental sounds, the sound of the wind and the sand, and the ambient sounds of people and voices, the music, and just everything having to do with sound is done in a magnificent way.

I mainly just did exploring, and it was a blast. I found a bandit camp and had to run away on a camel while they chased me, but did manage to escape (although the pursuers were stubborn, I finally lost them after a time, it was actually fun to escape!)

Just wandering around in the solitude of the desert was quite atmospheric, and one of the coolest parts is when we were wandering out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, and then we saw some sort of, I guess it was supposed to be a vision/hallucination of a weird guy holding a snake, and then he vanished into the sands of the desert, and then it started raining scarab beetles. Not making this up, it was super cool! They really nailed the atmosphere in this game.

Finally, the hunting was awesome. I love the hunting mechanics in this game, hunting antelope and other wildlife and then crafting the materials for better gear was actually fun. The hunting was really well done.

If you are one of those people that love the desert like I do, and whenever you see a desert setting in a game that is like, an immediate ping on your radar and raises your interest, then this game is a must buy. The way they made the desert come alive and creating it in this game is pretty remarkable.

I've started playing Assassin's Creed Origins, and am very pleasantly surprised. I had almost no expectations, and haven't really played the series, except for the first one which I completed right when it came out.

It's surprising how different of a game this is. It took very many design decisions from Witcher 3. Graphically it looks amazing, and being able to do all the climbing and parkour mechanics in an open world game is great.

I've got some issues with the combat system, in that I sometimes have trouble keeping control of the battle, but one thing is for sure. It's 1000x better than the combay system they had in previous games. That was a huge snore-fest. This is actually decent. It's quite generic action-oriented, very similar to The Witcher 3, or other action games.

I'm having loads of fun, and not really sure why. Is it the low expectations, or did they actually do something good? I'll know more in time.

I just had to also heap praise on Assassin's Creed: Origins. Holy awesome sauce! My friend bought it to test out his new computer because I had mentioned to him that it looked promising and intriguing, and we just tried it out today. I don't have the game yet, but am planning on buying it sometime after I get through a few more games of my backlog. Anyway, fan-boy-like gushing follows! :biggrin:

This is based on a short play session, but me and my friend were both very, very impressed. My friend has a large screen tv/monitor that is 1080p.
AC: Origins is just gorgeous. The water effects are some of the best I have seen in a game for a very long time. (especially underwater) The ambiance is stellar, not just graphically, with the architecture being both beautiful and realistic, but sandstorms and wildlife and visuals all making you feel like this is an authentic re-imagining of what Ancient Egypt might have been like.

Even better, the sound design is unbelievable. The environmental sounds, the sound of the wind and the sand, and the ambient sounds of people and voices, the music, and just everything having to do with sound is done in a magnificent way.

I mainly just did exploring, and it was a blast. I found a bandit camp and had to run away on a camel while they chased me, but did manage to escape (although the pursuers were stubborn, I finally lost them after a time, it was actually fun to escape!)

Just wandering around in the solitude of the desert was quite atmospheric, and one of the coolest parts is when we were wandering out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, and then we saw some sort of, I guess it was supposed to be a vision/hallucination of a weird guy holding a snake, and then he vanished into the sands of the desert, and then it started raining scarab beetles. Not making this up, it was super cool! They really nailed the atmosphere in this game.

Finally, the hunting was awesome. I love the hunting mechanics in this game, hunting antelope and other wildlife and then crafting the materials for better gear was actually fun. The hunting was really well done.

If you are one of those people that love the desert like I do, and whenever you see a desert setting in a game that is like, an immediate ping on your radar and raises your interest, then this game is a must buy. The way they made the desert come alive and creating it in this game is pretty remarkable.

Damn, looks like I need to play this one then!

How is the loot progression like in this game? Do you get handed out stuff like candy or is it more stingy? Do you really get proper upgrades in terms of power? Can you find unique stuff from exploring etc?

Also do you get to explore inside pyramids? etc

You guys playing it on PC or PS4? Which one would you recommend?

wolfenstein the new collossus

dont see whats with all the praise, its so boring, cant play more than 30 minutes; and its so fucked with technical problems

So it's not just me on ACO.
Although, I'm shuffling Elex and ACO. Elex for challenge, ACO for humor.
How is the loot progression like in this game?
Random loot except (side)quest fixed rewards. However the equipment you get on low level can be upgraded to your later level so if you love a certain sword, you may still use it on higher levels and up it's damage output.

Do you get handed out stuff like candy or is it more stingy?
What does this mean? If you mean handholding then yes and no.
- you get map markers for quest/sidequest points
- you don't get map marker on a treasure you learned it exists from scrolls (there are 25 of such puzzle scrolls) or notes (usually in hostiles camps you'll read they hid something somewhere)

Do you really get proper upgrades in terms of power?
Erm… Again not sure… Best things to get ASAP are XP bonus skills. Some skills are fun here and there, but are not a gamechanging thing so you better get damage bonus ones instead of fun gimmicks. And some skills are bugged: incremental 1% damage on traps/poison/fire also affect the hero, instaloot on kill (not assassination!) doesn't work all the time etc.

Can you find unique stuff from exploring etc?
Yes, but it's all random.

Also do you get to explore inside pyramids? etc
You do. Some parts in them though can be locked if you explore them too early as are a part of main or side quests (Khufu's pyramid lower part depends on main story progression, the sphynx lower part can't be unlocked till you complete 12 celestial puzzles sidequest).

You guys playing it on PC or PS4? Which one would you recommend?
Me - on PC, of course.
Buy consoles version. PC version has FPS drops to 40 even on GTX1070 because the game hammers CPU apparently thanks to VMprotect (whatever that is) used as DRM on PC. VMprotect is not used on console copies.

@joxer;

What does this mean? If you mean handholding then yes and no.

I meant, does they give out loot like candy or you you really need to explore to get good loot.

The loot can be:
1. ingame cash
2. animal trophies
3. trinkets
4. bows (4 different types), melee weapons (also 4 types) and shields
5. materials needed to improve character

The first one you get in small amounts from containers (4-6 coins) unless you rob a courier or find a stash I was talking about (unmarked on the map yet you learned about it from a note). These net you 100 or 200, maybe more if bigger level.

For second you need to kill, yea, animals. There is no use for it other than selling, however there is a side quest that needs you to bring two vulture heads, two hyena heads and dunno two heads from some third animal. Luckily, you may hunt all of those nearby. Since you'll be earning $ from killed animals, no reason to attack couriers. Unless you spot someone carrying thousands. I still didn't. ;)

Trinkets you get from looting containers and sometimes from human trashmobs. Also useless except to earn $ from selling them. They're not so rare, but because of the hunter sidequest I stopped selling these thinking what if there is a sidequest where you need to bring a few or even more. So far no such quest, but better safe than sorry, right? ;)
Besides I have tons of ingame $ already.

Equipment (ranged, melee, shield) appear in 3 quality versions. Common (blue) are weakest. Purple (rare) have better effects while yellow (legendary) are top notch. As you may suspect, blue drops often while for purple and gold you'll have to "work" a bit. Weapons and shields you can sell for ingame $, but you can also break them into materials.

Finally materials. Skins you will loot sometimes in containers, but usually you'll just kill an animal and get what you need. There are certain miniboss animals that net you a huge amount of skins. Lumber and different ore you get from dismantling weapons. Rarely also by looting containers.
Basically, you'll want to dismantle all blue (common) weapons and later when you get yellow (legendary) ones you'll want to dismantle also purple (rare) weapons. You can also rob couriers that transport lumber and ore. I suggest attacking only iron shipments, as iron is a bit hard to find. Ignore the rest unless you really need something that is being transported fast. I mean, it's grind then!
There are also two superrare ore types which you can loot only in tombs, but also buy from a certain merchant. So far I didn't have any need to buy any of these rare ore, but then again I'm sidequesting a lot.

What am I trying to say. You won't be a badass instantly nor you can grind your stats up on the first map (mainly because there are no crocodiles nor hyppos to kill there for their skin).
Also, as weapons/shield are random, you cannot know if you'll get the legendary item (finally). So far legendary equipment I got only from certain hard to kill minibosses and specific puzzle based loot.

Anyway, level cap is apparently 40, I'm level 29. As you may see on the next screenshot, I didn't max everything yet and in case of tool pouch I still need croc/hypo skins:

pic.jpg

I'd say ingame economy is pretty much balanced. Unless you'll grind like crazy, but that never was my pair of shoes. Besides the game already feels easy.

Let's mention microtransactions again. All items offered for real $ can drop from a specific trader's lootbox (skins and mounts included). Sure, you won't have enough ingame money to "gamble" unless you'll pay with real $ (just don't). But you can always cheat millions in if collecting different outfits is your thing:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/582160/discussions/0/1480982338961696658/
Just don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom