What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I followed up Alien 3 with Alien: Resurrection today.. mainly because the GF had never seen it and was curious.

Compared to Resurrection, Alien 3 is academy award worthy. :)

I knew it was a bad movie, but I had forgotten just how bad it actually is. It's no wonder that it effectively killed off the original movie franchise.

Ripley: "Who do I have to fuck to get off this boat?"
Johner: "I can get you off. Maybe not the boat."

Let us never speak of Alien Resurrection again.

Watched a horror called A Dark Song. Gritty, slow-paced, and quite successfully creepy. Very audacious ending which will likely divide opinion, but definitely one of the better horrors I've seen.

RottenTomatoes compiled a list of 200 movies you should watch before dying:
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/200-essential-movies-to-watch-now/

For a few I can't possibly understand what are they doing on that list like Slumdog Millionaire, I guess someone from our politics&religion section was pushing to much, but these entries are rare.
You'll note also that silly remakes got axed out even good ones, for example I quite liked The Manchurian Candidate remake but the original felt so much better.

So, forget the next Transformers movie and start crossing titles on this list, one by one. You don't have to follow numbers, I mean, I wish Children of Men was among top 10, but as it's on the list at some place, that's fine by me.

If you spotted they "forgot" to add a movie there, post which one is that please.

Let us never speak of Alien Resurrection again.

Watched a horror called A Dark Song. Gritty, slow-paced, and quite successfully creepy. Very audacious ending which will likely divide opinion, but definitely one of the better horrors I've seen.

I saw A Dark Song last year and admired its approach to conjuration and invocation as an elaborate, grueling and loooong process but I've kind of forgotten its major plot points already so the story itself was unmemorable to me.

Last movie I watched was Would You Rather with Jefferey Combs which is a rather tortuous (literally) and nasty piece of psychological horror that uses a similar theme as Greg McLean's recent The Belko Experiment. Can't really recommend it since it's really unpleasant and downbeat. It is strangely thought provoking however. Before that I watched and enjoyed Happy Go Lucky. I love Mike Leigh's films.

Yeah, I don't enjoy those really grueling, sadistic and nihilistic horrors. I've seen a couple that just left me feeling upset and quite depressed afterwards.

Yeah, I kinda regret watching Eden Lake for that reason. It's a good film, well acted and claustrophobic, playing on modern fears of "da youth of today", but I just came away feeling depressed.

No, but I did enjoy the South park episode where it turns out that Apple's terms and conditions permit them to turn people into human centipedes. Based on that, I'm fairly sure I don't need to see the original.

I don't dig those movies where some dude wakes up in dungeon slowly filling with water, and a wolf superglued to his head.

For a few I can't possibly understand what are they doing on that list like Slumdog Millionaire

Probably because a majority of people liked it? It's not the Joxermeter :lol:

No, but I did enjoy the South park episode where it turns out that Apple's terms and conditions permit them to turn people into human centipedes. Based on that, I'm fairly sure I don't need to see the original.

That episode was classic. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgpXw-Y2BKg

As far as the movie goes, yeah.. you're not missing much. The sequel managed to be even worse.

:rotfl:

Probably because a majority of people liked it? It's not the Joxermeter :lol:

Of course it's not Joxermeter otherwise instead of Black Hawk Dawn rubbish and Saving Private Ryan lemonade on the list there would be Kubrick's Paths of Glory.

Of course it's not Joxermeter otherwise instead of Black Hawk Dawn rubbish and Saving Private Ryan lemonade on the list there would be Kubrick's Paths of Glory.

So replace the best WW2/Mogadishu War movie with the best WW1 movie? That's like fresh baked bread telling a bouquet of flowers it stinks.

Paths of Glory was so overblown and not-so-subtle in its preaching that I struggle to appreciate how ahead of its time it supposedly was.

Cross of Iron was more my style - if we really have to go that way.

Saving Private Ryan, on the other hand, is a no bullshit 100% honest portrayal of war.

A multiple war veteran dart confirms bullshit is not bullshit but is actually real and fails to understand why Hollywood has to draw obvious stuff to majority of it's audience.

I think I said before something like… If it makes you happy, do please continue to live in your own fantasy world.

A multiple war veteran dart confirms bullshit is not bullshit but is actually real.

I think I said before something like… If it makes you happy, do please continue to live in your own fantasy world.

Is English-joxer not at home today? ;)

RottenTomatoes compiled a list of 200 movies you should watch before dying:
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/200-essential-movies-to-watch-now/

For a few I can't possibly understand what are they doing on that list like Slumdog Millionaire, I guess someone from our politics&religion section was pushing to much, but these entries are rare.
You'll note also that silly remakes got axed out even good ones, for example I quite liked The Manchurian Candidate remake but the original felt so much better.

So, forget the next Transformers movie and start crossing titles on this list, one by one. You don't have to follow numbers, I mean, I wish Children of Men was among top 10, but as it's on the list at some place, that's fine by me.

If you spotted they "forgot" to add a movie there, post which one is that please.

Thats a pretty decent list of great films. There are some weird ones ofcourse. For instance: Mad Max (2015). I'm sure it is a good action film, but I just have to question the logic. Shouldn't they recommand watching the orginal instead? Mad Max 2 remains still an hugely entertaining action film.

Also what the hell is Wayne's world doing on that list? Nothing special about it. A decent comedy film for pre-teen I'm sure…

And it feels just wrong that they chose a hollywood era Jackie chan film to present kung fu genre (Rumble in the bronx). I'd rather see drunken master if I had to pick just one jackie chan film. And while we're at it, no Bruce Lee film either? Enter the dragon (where Jackie Chan had a small part as well) could be a good candidate to that list.

And how come they missed such great films like Blade Runner, Full metal jacket, Deer hunter and Once up on a time in the west?

Is English-joxer not at home today? ;)
He was going to Disneyland.
On the Interstate saw the sign that said Disneyland LEFT.
So he turned around and went home.

how come they missed such great films like Blade Runner, Deer hunter and Once up on a time in the west?
I think Blade Runner is in, but now I'm not sure. Will have to recheck.
In any case, completely agree with you on all three.

I think Blade Runner is in, but now I'm not sure. Will have to recheck.
In any case, completely agree with you on all three.

You're right, Blade Runner is actually on the list. Somehow I just missed it. :) So is enter the dragon btw. I'm not drunk here, just tired from work. :p

My mini horror season continued last night with Train to Busan, a Korean zombie movie. I thought it succeeded very well, and is a rare worthwhile entry in the genre. One of the key things it gets right, is to take its time to set up the characters, so you actually give a damn when things kick off. A couple of quite memorable scenes, too.

Back
Top Bottom