What games are you playing now?

I also found the gigs boring over time. They are too repetitive. I did too many and got bored of the entire game. The trick is not to do many, I guess.

I still had quite a few gigs left when I finished despite putting 170 hours into the game. I started to ignore the blue ones after awhile, and I didn't do any of the racing, shooting, or boxing challenges.

Well, I bought the full version of FastCrawl and have played a couple of 'fast' games and am on my 2nd 'long' game - quite a bit of difference in the parties and the layouts of the levels .. so far i'd say $20 well spent.

Still waiting for my Mazes of Fate .. it is now somewhere in the megaplex of my work mail structure, which has become impossibly slow of late ..

I'm playing my Steam copy of Greedfall which was gifted me last Christmas. I'm loving it, this is the second game by Spiders that I've tried. Years ago I played a little of Mars: War Logs and skipped The Technomancer (though I have it) and you can see how well Spiders evolved since M:WL.

Played and finished The Medium on XSX (also pn PC)
What can I say? Typical Bloober Team offering: style over substance, a wasted opportunity made by some of the most talented environmental artists in the business and some of the most stubborn (in a bad way) designers out there.

For the uninitiated: The Medium is a horror walking simulator with some very light gameplay (i.e. the focus is on the story and atmosphere instead of the challenge).

Problem is:
- the story is not particularly gripping (subjective of course, but feels like a "Hollywood 101: How To Write a Supernatural Psychological Thriller" -- Silent Hill, this is not.),
- the atmosphere is surprisingly one-note (semi-spoiler: there is a normal world and there is an evil world -- Alan Wake, this is not.),
- the production values are misplaced (if you want celebrity power, please hire Clive Barker for the story instead of Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame for the music, and we'll be more than happy)

I'm sad, because there's considerable effort on display, the game starts very promising, but it could have been soooo much more than a glorified Unreal tech demo.

What can I say? Typical Bloober Team offering: style over substance, a wasted opportunity made by some of the most talented environmental artists in the business and some of the most stubborn (in a bad way) designers out there.

For the uninitiated: The Medium is a horror walking simulator with some very light gameplay (i.e. the focus is on the story and atmosphere instead of the challenge).

Problem is:
- the story is not particularly gripping (subjective of course, but feels like a "Hollywood 101: How To Write a Supernatural Psychological Thriller" -- Silent Hill, this is not.),
- the atmosphere is surprisingly one-note (semi-spoiler: there is a normal world and there is an evil world -- Alan Wake, this is not.),
- the production values are misplaced (if you want celebrity power, please hire Clive Barker for the story instead of Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame for the music, and we'll be more than happy)

I'm sad, because there's considerable effort on display, the game starts very promising, but it could have been soooo much more than a glorified Unreal tech demo.

I had quite a positive outlook on the game. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I liked the story, and the way you piece it together. The only minus for me, would be the ending. That's really didn't land for me. I was hoping for something much more "out there".

Otherwise, the locations and art are absolutely superb. And so is the atmosphere. Also, the music was very nice. Currently listening to the whole soundtrack.

Speaking of Alan Wake, while I really like Alan Wake (even more than Medium), I found Medium's dual-world a lot more interesting conceptually than the light/dark dynamic that Alan Wake did.

Speaking of mismanaged budget, I later found out Troy Baker did the voice of the Maw. Why the hell did they need to do that, unless he worked at a considerably lower rate than his likely recording fee.

Wow, yes Barker & Bloober Team would be a great combination!

I tried the demo for The Black Masses. It's decent, but combat is very repetitive and with little enemy variety. The explorable map seems quite large, but unfortunately the demo doesn't allow saving. I might try the EA at some point.

I also tried Control. I have to say it's not for me. Not sure why, but Remedy's games just don't hit the right buttons in my case. I really liked Max Payne 1&2, but I haven't been able to get into any of their games since.

Division 2 (a co-op session with a friend). This is a fun shooter in the absence of better co-op games. I'd never play this alone though. The level design reminds me of Mass Effects 1-3 with linear well-designed shooting places and then some walking in between. Solid stuff but also predictable.

They market the game as an "action RPG". The game has MMO-type character development and MMO-type items with levels. That's it about RPG elements. Typical Ubisoft…

Morrowind:
So killing the lich Grurn was fun. Stored his soul into a gem.
Sigh..
Apart from some stealing, breaking & entering in the beginning, the game is boring. I decided that only the main quest might be interesting, since most of the mages guild quests are a bore. I need something way more bloody.. and turn-based!!

Re-watched the amazing massacres in Immortals (2011) and documented every gory battle for research purposes. My palm got itchy for some Dark Fantasy XCOM gory turn-based carnage. Sadly there are no such Fallout-XCOM-style games I haven't played yet… but! Check this out..

Scoured the net for Blackguards I-II-style dark-fantasy TB and found this. Trying now:
Dungeons Of The Deep . This game appears to be my kind of "Disciples-1" dark, gory mindFCK horror fantasy thing. Only watched a limited gameplay video, so I don't know, what combat awaits.. :)

Very atmospheric game! Music is great. Graphics is great. Even the combat could be classed as enjoyable. However the developer is not allowing a savegame function. Game only saves at the beginning of each ~45 minute dungeon. I lost 60 minutes just trying to go through the first dungeon. No, sorry. This system isn't working.
Uninstall. :((

Last edited:
I'm taking a minor break from Fae Tactics, and diving deep down into Banner Saga the third. I've only done four battles so far, and I'm fondly recalling what a challenge these games can be, after playing mostly far easier games the past few months. At least Fae Tactics warmed me up for this one, and that's a game I will get back to!

I tried the demo for The Black Masses. It's decent, but combat is very repetitive and with little enemy variety. The explorable map seems quite large, but unfortunately the demo doesn't allow saving. I might try the EA at some point.
I had no idea that had a demo. My son's into the battle simulator they make, and we've had an eye on The Black Masses for a while but were getting a little wary of the whole Early Access thing. So many unfinished games out there, that never really fulfil their potential.
Downloading now…

EDIT:
Felt a little like playing Oblivion in Unity, with only one type of creature. I played for about 30 minutes before getting stuck in stairs (literally - some bug had me not being able to go up or down, I could only look around).
Really needs some more gratifying zombie smashing action to be worth playing (a la Dead Island or Dying Light).
Could end up good, but a while to go yet...?

Last edited:
Replaying the Saints Row games and Dungeon Siege games.

Yeah all old games but I enjoy playing them.:)

Ah, dungeon siege 2. Played that one in coop. A lot, always starting over. I skipped dungeon siege 3 with all the bad reviews.

Red dead redemption 2. Oh boy, this one looks nice. Just imagine, the engine, assets, and world licensed to piranha bytes for a proper rpg. :)

Cyberpunk. Impressions are mostly positive for now. I play CDPR games for the story and not the open world. It seems to be holding up in that part although I'm still doing the introduction missions and haven't even met Silverhand yet.

The experience on the xbox is good enough. Nice visual design with only the occasional bad texture. World seems decently crowded. However, I am irritated by pedestrians appearing right in front of me which happens too often. I also had Jackie walk through my car. This does breaks the immersion for me.

I have high hopes the second big patch will fix that + offer a larger font for the UI and dialogue, with the first patch laying the groundwork and all that.

Having never played the first Half Life game, and only starting with nr 2, I was curious to put in a little time.

And I was surprised how modern it felt. Sure, the controls are kinda clunky. Especially movement. I seem to suffer some annoying innertia when moving around. Shooting is pretty decent.

But what really surprised me was how good the level design was. It encouraged exploration, and going down random paths, for some ammo/healthy only to then need to double back.

I've reached the rail-cart that you control, but I'm not sure I'll continue. It's good, but I don't really have the patience right. Maybe later on in life when I'll really have time to waste.

Still messing around with Banner Saga three and, just to get this out of the way, I'd have to say this one is the weakest of the series to date, at least for me. I'm keeping an open mind until I've finished, and this game really started off well, but there are some parts of it that just don't sit well for me.

Having never played the first Half Life game, and only starting with nr 2, I was curious to put in a little time.

And I was surprised how modern it felt. Sure, the controls are kinda clunky. Especially movement. I seem to suffer some annoying innertia when moving around. Shooting is pretty decent.

But what really surprised me was how good the level design was. It encouraged exploration, and going down random paths, for some ammo/healthy only to then need to double back.

I've reached the rail-cart that you control, but I'm not sure I'll continue. It's good, but I don't really have the patience right. Maybe later on in life when I'll really have time to waste.

I recommend playing Black Mesa instead. As great as it is, the original Half-Life is pretty clunky by today's standards.

I recommend playing Black Mesa instead. As great as it is, the original Half-Life is pretty clunky by today's standards.

I may have the bug in me, since I got back into it this morning.

Yeah, I’ve thought about Black Mesa but ultimately decided I want as close an experience to the original. And aside from the wonky movement, which is annoying since there’s plenty of platforming, it’s holding up nicely. Even runs nicely at 3440x1440. I’ll see how it goes and maybe it won’t get too annoying.

I tried Outward the last days but somehow I don't get into it. The (not existing) save/load mechanic and also the hunger/thirst mechanic is more cumbersome than fun for me. I know that these mechanics are, how it is meant to be played, but it only annoys me instead of giving me a sense of suspense. I want to love it because it reminds me of the Gothics and may therefore try it again, but for the moment I'll let it rest.

Other annoyances:
If you press escape to pause the game and do something else you will still starve. You have to explicitly activate Pause in the Escape menu. I know that this is my fault, but it is so normal for me to press escape and then alt-tab to another program that it happens again and again to me. And no jumping or climbing, really? This is one of the most fun aspects for exploration in games like Gothic or Risen, so it also annoys me massively.

Again I know that its probably my fault and not that of the game, but somehow the addition of all these small things makes it completely un-fun for me.

I tried the dev-mode to be able to save/load, but the other things still remain...

I may have the bug in me, since I got back into it this morning.

Yeah, I’ve thought about Black Mesa but ultimately decided I want as close an experience to the original. And aside from the wonky movement, which is annoying since there’s plenty of platforming, it’s holding up nicely. Even runs nicely at 3440x1440. I’ll see how it goes and maybe it won’t get too annoying.

If you're playing the 1st game (weren't you playing Half-Life 2? Maybe I misread your post), you'll be missing out on Xen's many improvements too, it's not only the graphics.

Well, or you could go all in and compare both ;)

Back
Top Bottom