What are you reading ? - Page 134 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

January 31st, 2020, 17:52
I finished Sword of Kings this morning, and that concludes the Saxon Chronicles for me, at least until a new book is released. Well, if there will even be a new book, the protagonist is getting quite old, although I suppose the story could follow his son for a bit, which it actually did at some point but then went back. My favourite books are the ones that Alfred is present in, but the series as a whole is excellent and well worth reading. I know for a fact that, as long as he continues to put out books in the series, I'll keep reading them.

Next up for me will be the Grail Tales, I'll likely start reading book one, Harlequin, later today. I've never read this series yet so the excitement factor is high!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
+1:

February 5th, 2020, 17:36
Last night I knocked off Harlequin, book one of the Grail series by Cornwell. I've not read this novel before, and I found it utterly fascinating. The time period, right at the start of the hundred years war is of great interest to me, and I simply adore how this author meshes real history with a few creations of his own design. If you enjoyed the Saxon chronicles or the Sharpe books, I'd really suggest giving this one a whirl. I'm about twenty pages into book two now, Vagabond.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2020, 18:09
This morning I polished off Vagabond, book two of the Grail series by Cornwell. I'm head over arse with this series now, I simply adore how the author interlaces real events and battles with his fictional characters/tales, it's truly compelling, satisfying, really a complete joy to read. I'm already eighty pages into book three, Heretic.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2020, 22:35
For an intellectual challenge, I've started reading Phil Dick's most demanding book, VALIS…
… and what a challenge it is!

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

February 10th, 2020, 23:17
Just finished “Butcherville” by Chris Kelsey, and it was excellent, better than his debut and using the same core character set. Now reading a non-fiction management book before digging into re-reading ‘The Cleric Quartet’ by RA Salvatore. Haven’t read these since the 90s or so.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 11th, 2020, 01:27
I've not read that Cleric series by Salvatore in quite some time myself. I'd read some of his earlier books but had never tried that series until he gifted me a set since I lent him an Everquest account to use. I could read about those dwarf brothers and never get bored. Doooooo-dad!!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

February 12th, 2020, 19:07
Last night I finished reading Heretic, volume three of the Grail quest series. This book is different from the prior two, in that almost all of it is fictional, with very little factual content from the hundred years war. Even with that caveat, it's still a great read and puts Thomas further down the path of completing his quest, and getting some sweet revenge along the way. I started book four, thirteen hundred and fifty-six this morning and it's already off to a ripping good start!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 14th, 2020, 19:49
I completed the Grail quest series this morning, it was the first time for me reading this series but won't be the final. This series has it all, a good lead character, some nasty villains, great plot/story and laced within real events, which at least for me helps keep time-frames consistent. Considering the author didn't really cover much of the hundred year war within this series, I wonder if he might return to it and add another story or more at some point.

I picked up the first Sharpe novel to read next, I'm not sure if I'll read the entire series but for now it's what was handy.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2020, 13:50
The Subtle Art Of Not Giving F*ck by Mark Mansion.

I am half way through it and it is great books so far, where Mark has shared some of the practical approaces with respect to your insecurities and how to deal with things that are out of your control.

While some people may argue that this will lead people develope a fixed mindset (term coined by Carrol Dweck in book Mindset), Mark has done wonderful job of separating the thin line between things that you can change and things that are not under your control.

Eg. Being honest, being sincere with your efforts, being very good cricket player or being great software engineer these are some things which are under your control but let's say being very popular or being most liked person is not under your control, you may do all the things you can do to get people like to you but you can't make people actually like you, it's their choice and you have no control of that, the only thing which is under your control is being best version of yourself in area that you desire.

Jack Leach

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 26th, 2020, 01:20
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
For an intellectual challenge, I've started reading Phil Dick's most demanding book, VALIS…
… and what a challenge it is!
I’d class this as masochism! (Yes, I read it years ago, before I gave up trying to be ’cool’)

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

March 1st, 2020, 19:39
Alien: Phalanx.

It's not very good so far.

StintDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 16th, 2020, 17:18
I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.

it's a interesting series. I found it very confusing at times and a little frustrated about the details left up to the reader to decide. I'm writing an essay about this book right now. I found great service here to help me with my writing. Hope I'll finish it in the near future.
Last edited by denj; March 20th, 2020 at 11:27.

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 19th, 2020, 23:30
I did finish a book three days ago, the first in the Sharpe series, Sharpe's Tiger. I've not read this series before, although I've heard much about it and I've enjoyed other series from this author, so I decided to give book one a try. I very much enjoyed the story and setting, some of the characters I really didn't care for, but they didn't dectract from the story all that much. I'll likely pick up the other books at a later time, as of now I've started re-reading the Riftwar Saga, right now I'm at the mid-point in book one, Magician: Apprentice.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 23rd, 2020, 00:22
Currently reading Ringworld, by Larry Niven.

Originally Posted by denj View Post
I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.

it's a interesting series. I found it very confusing at times and a little frustrated about the details left up to the reader to decide. I'm writing an essay about this book right now. I found great service here to help me with my writing. Hope I'll finish it in the near future.
I recently read Neuromancer, and yeah, while it did manage to grip me at times it's not my cup of tea. I find books that use too much made up words or too abstract descriptions off putting. I need to be able to picture the scene and not break my brain over what exactly the author is talking about (I'm looking at you, Gene Wolfe).
So while I do own both Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive, they're probably staying on my backlog permanently.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

March 23rd, 2020, 00:38
Ringworld is great!

I have started to re-read all the books in the saga of recluse series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saga_of_Recluce
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

March 23rd, 2020, 12:31
Bloody Meridan. Makes many Grimdark fantasy books look like fun and optimist stories.
Wonder if it was a Black Company inspiration..

Kos

Watchdog

March 23rd, 2020, 18:33
I polished off Magician: Apprentice last night, and now I'm roughly fifty pages into the second book, Magician: Master. This is such a fun series to read and I vividly recall having to wait on each and every book to be issued!! The latter books taper off in quality a bit, but the first three to four are just outstanding.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

March 24th, 2020, 20:37
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Ringworld is great!
Yeah, I'm about 70% in and I am definitely eager to see what comes next.

I have started to re-read all the books in the saga of recluse series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saga_of_Recluce
Would you recommend these?

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I polished off Magician: Apprentice last night, and now I'm roughly fifty pages into the second book, Magician: Master. This is such a fun series to read and I vividly recall having to wait on each and every book to be issued!! The latter books taper off in quality a bit, but the first three to four are just outstanding.
Ah, yeah, the Riftwar Saga has been due for a re-read for me for a long time. Last book I read was Exile's Return (10+ years ago), haven't read the last 8 books at all yet. I've been meaning to start the afresh with the first and make my way through all of them. Haven't gotten around to it yet, alas.
Gotta say though, the Empire trilogy ranks among my top 3 trilogies. Quality material.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 25th, 2020, 18:35
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
Y
Would you recommend these?
Recommending books is hard, for me anyhow. I mean I like them a lot - enough to re-read the whole series a second time (and a few of them a third time). But you would have to like his writing style which is a bit more unique then other authors I have read. More often told almost exclusively from the main characters point of view. Also spans a very large time line and he doesn't like to write about the same character (as the main protagonist) more than two books at most. The series in remarkable coherent and well put together. Very deep and well thought out lore. Anyhow I really enjoy them.

Rift War series is also amazing, loved those!
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

May 2nd, 2020, 04:24
Rift War series is also amazing, loved those!
I loved Magician/Silverthorn/Darkness when they first came out, but didn't really enjoy the couple after that (Prince of the Blood, The King's Buccaneer). Who knows, I may have been burned out on generic fantasy back then, and there is so much good stuff out there I haven't looked back.

What are considered the high points in his oeuvre that I've missed?
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?