Witcher 4 - A Prequel Starring Ciri? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 4 - A Prequel Starring Ciri?

Default Witcher 4 - A Prequel Starring Ciri?

April 2nd, 2020, 23:19
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I don't mind a prequel starring Ciri, I liked her. I do think it'd be a lot of fanservice to do that, though, and has a very high potential of not meeting the expectations.

But honestly, next Witcher game has a very high potential of not meeting expectations anyway, because it won't be following a well written script based on a best-seller book, and take numerous "licenses" very prone to screw it all up ala Game of Thrones.
CDProjektRed already did that with the first three games. They wrote tons of their own stuff. If anything, the next game may have more direct contributions from Sapowski, since they seemed to have made up.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2020, 23:29
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
One thing is for sure, in does NOT have to be better and bigger than TW3's world (or cyberpunk).
I agree that it doesn't need to be bigger. TW3 felt like it was almost too large at times. I wouldn't mind if they went back to something akin to TW2 in terms of length.

That would also cut the development time down significantly, and I'd prefer not to have to wait through another 5 year cycle.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2020, 00:10
I am not a fan of prequels over all - whether a book, a comic, a game, or a movie. I dunno guess because I know what the future is already. I feel the game is over before it starts because of that.

That is me though - always been like that. Even more so in case of a game where you already know the future character and what they will be like. To me it removes a lot of mystery.

Then again not really into predefined characters. Considering how disappointing many of the new games coming out have turned out to be glad the new pathfinder game still looks good!
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
+1:

April 3rd, 2020, 02:03
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
But honestly, next Witcher game has a very high potential of not meeting expectations anyway, because it won't be following a well written script based on a best-seller book, and take numerous "licenses" very prone to screw it all up ala Game of Thrones.
Are you referring to the RPG or the adventure game?

Although I would say GRRM already messed up the series beyond repair with "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons"
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2020, 10:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I agree that it doesn't need to be bigger. TW3 felt like it was almost too large at times. I wouldn't mind if they went back to something akin to TW2 in terms of length.

That would also cut the development time down significantly, and I'd prefer not to have to wait through another 5 year cycle.
I agree about the length - I loved TW3, but developed completionist fatigue. I think TW2 was the right kind of length. I would also prefer something not-Ciri related - for me,her story (and Geralt's) are done, and what a ride it was! I wouldn't mind something set in the distant past when the witcher schoo;s were first created, along with political and magial intrigue.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

April 3rd, 2020, 17:47
For some reason I thought they were done with the Witcher series. Well perhaps it'll be good -- they do have a solid batting average.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2020, 18:01
All that matters is the writing. IMO Ciri is a good choice because any male character will be compared to Geralt and probably unfavorably. This keeps it rooted in the world and the challenge is to create interesting storylines that are really unique vs. lore we already know about Ciri.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2020, 19:07
A Witcher game where the main character is not a witcher. She has the training but not the mutations. She is basically a mage with sword skills like Vilgefortz.
If it has to be a prequel it would be better if the main character is a young Vesemir, before the attack on Kaer Morhen.
Or even better if the game was about a different witcher school in another region of the world.

Arahael

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2020, 23:12
The Witcher games have suprised me (and not always positively) up to this point, so I'm going to keep an open mind on this one

I didnt want anything to do with the original Witcher game, i thought it sounded lame - until I played it, and it became one of my all-time favorites.

which was the exact opposite of Witcher II, which I couldnt wait for, but became one of the biggest.letdowns.ever.

Then the excellent Witcher 3.

I should give Thronebreaker a try, i must admit I'm curious and it's gotta be hovering around ten bucks by now

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 4th, 2020, 05:55
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
I should give Thronebreaker a try, i must admit I'm curious and it's gotta be hovering around ten bucks by now
As long as you understand and are okay with the fact the Thronebreaker's gameplay is completely, utterly different, you should. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The storytelling is as strong as ever, and I personally enjoyed the puzzle aspects of the card gameplay and didn't find it too repetitive over the 45 hours it took me to finish the game.

It isn't $10 normally, but it so happens that it's on sale for just that price on Steam currently.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

April 5th, 2020, 00:35
Well for an April fool's joke it's a good one. Anyway as I've said before I'd prefer a true sequel were you make your own Witcher set after Witcher 3. So no not a fan of Ciri as the main character.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 17:14
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
For some reason I thought they were done with the Witcher series. Well perhaps it'll be good -- they do have a solid batting average.
They were. …and then the Netflix series became the most watched in their history.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 6th, 2020, 22:19
And they would try to bank on the Netflix success in 8 or 10 years which is the time it takes them to develop a game?
Like if they were not actually the ones who put that obscure Polish writer under the light?

Kos

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 4 - A Prequel Starring Ciri?