Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games

Default Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games

April 5th, 2020, 19:28
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Only disappointed for not seeing some of Monolith classics in the list (F.E.A.R. and AVP2).
'

No One Lives Forever is/was my favorite.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

April 5th, 2020, 21:21
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Still taking everything personally I see.

Actually, pretty much everything you said was redundant. It's also obvious that you posted the second time because you thought certain comments must have been meant for you even though they weren't. It seems to be a recurring theme.
You are wrong. I didn't quote any post in my reply, as it was just adding more to my own opinion. I did quote your post when you did address me later. One thing I do agree with, though - someone in this thread is feeling addressed when they are not, and in my short time here, I can tell it's a recurring theme.
Last edited by Nereida; April 5th, 2020 at 21:53.

Nereida

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 5th, 2020, 21:48
That list is full of great games. Many of them all time classics and many still worth playing. Visuals or interface of these old classics may be obsolete, but not gameplay, that is timeless. I get that might be hard to understand if you prefer to watch over play.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 02:02
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
You are wrong. I didn't quote any post in my reply, as it was just adding more to my own opinion. I did quote your post when you did address me later. One thing I do agree with, though - someone in this thread is feeling addressed when they are not, and in my short time here, I can tell it's a recurring theme.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

April 6th, 2020, 08:49
I'm curious what other titles people would add to the list if ithey could. As for myself, I'd consider…
  • Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 6th, 2020, 10:14
Freelancer is just an inferior version of Privateer though? It might make my top 50 anyway though because Privateer would be near the top
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 11:53
The reason the list is packed with games from in and around 1997 is two-fold.

Firstly, the codex is a Fallout fan-site, a sort of No Mutants Allowed but with the caveat that they are encouraged to slag off the new Fallouts rather than moderated against it. And Fallout came out in 1997.

Secondly, that whole era, from 1996-2004 was the golden age of Windows games. While DOS games were too cumbersome for most but also console games were too lightweight, Windows 95/8/XP was like a revolution in gaming that provided the opportunity to play complex games in an uncomplex way with mouse-clicking ease.

It's no surprise that the home computer boom happened in this era and that the games that were made in this time really felt like a gigantic leap in technology and overall quality from the 'experimental' phase of DOS and the like.

I can't say I like their list though as it's not really a list of best games of all time as much as it's a list of best PC games, because I don't know anyone who didn't love Super Mario when it came out, nor Street Fighter II nor indeed Streets of Rage, as three examples of pre-windows games that still hold up even to this day.

One can't help feeling that 'site reputation' played a bigger part in what people were voting for than what they actually liked and would say are their favourite games of all time.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 12:46
I'm curious what other titles people would add to the list if ithey could. As for myself, I'd consider…
  • Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus
A few of these games are on the list below the top 50…

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 16:19
Good or bad, I'm just happy to see MOO, MOM, XCOM, and HOMM3 all within the top 20 of a list like this finally. Only 203 codex users voted, but I think my list would have been similar if only looking at older games.
By the way you can get Master of Magic on Steam with the Caster of Magic DLC if you feel like playing the old classic again.

Arkayne

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 16:41
Blood is fantastic. Have you ever played it? It was easily on par with Duke Nukem 3D with which it shared the same engine, and most fans of shooters consider Duke a classic of the genre.

Nightdive recently released a modernized version on Steam. If you like shooters at all, you should give it a try.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…_Fresh_Supply/
I didn't like it that much when it was originally released. Surely not enough to include it on my Top 50 Non-RPG List.
And I didn't know about this modernized version you spoke of. Perhaps I'll get it in the next Summer Sales and give it a try for real
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

April 6th, 2020, 16:55
I would add the first Fantasy General. Some of that may be nostalgia but I replayed it when it came to GoG a few years ago and really enjoyed it again. Just a fantastic campaign.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

April 6th, 2020, 17:22
  • Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus
You have a good list there.
Personally, I can't understand why System Shock 2 isn't among the Codex's Top 50 Non-RPG list. The original System Shock is #32 and System Shock is nowhere to be found. It's a sin!!! I would have listed both games in my Top-50, and System Shock 2 surely among the Top 10.
Other games in my Top 50 Non-RPG list are:
  • Firaxis' XCOM2 (yes, I know I'm biased towards this game, I really like it )
  • Civilization V
  • Endless Legends
  • Borderlands / Borderlands 2
  • Galactic Civilizations II
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Last edited by henriquejr; April 6th, 2020 at 18:20.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

April 6th, 2020, 18:27
  • Dead Space
  • BioShock
  • Dying Light
  • Prey
  • Freelancer
  • Crysis
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metro Exodus
All good choices there.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 6th, 2020, 18:28
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
You have a good list there.
Personally, I can't understand why System Shock 2 isn't among the Codex's Top 50 Non-RPG list. The original System Shock is #32 and System Shock is nowhere to be found. It's a sin!!! I would have listed both games in my Top-50, and System Shock 2 surely among the Top 10.
Other games in my Top 50 Non-RPG list are:
  • Firaxis' XCOM2 (yes, I know I'm biased towards this game, I really like it )
  • Civilization V
  • Endless Legends
  • Borderlands / Borderlands 2
  • Galactic Civilizations II
Also good choices.

Also,

Red dead redemption 2
Minecraft
age of wonders(any)
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 6th, 2020, 18:59
I suspect System Shock 2 isn't on the list because they consider it an RPG.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 6th, 2020, 19:58
I miss games like Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil (any of the first three would make a top 50 list), Super Mario 3 / Super Mario World, Terraria (maybe they consider this a RPG?), Medal of Honor… also even tho sport games are kinda niche, I remember back then Pro Evolution Soccer being all the rage amongst my friends, it was like the ultimate game to live for. Just to mention a few off the top of my head.

The list is very biased and encased in general.

Nereida

Sentinel

+1:

April 6th, 2020, 21:48
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I miss games like Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil (any of the first three would make a top 50 list), Super Mario 3 / Super Mario World, Terraria (maybe they consider this a RPG?), Medal of Honor… also even tho sport games are kinda niche, I remember back then Pro Evolution Soccer being all the rage amongst my friends, it was like the ultimate game to live for. Just to mention a few off the top of my head.

The list is very biased and encased in general.
That is ridiculous, I dont get your aversion. Methodology of how list was put together is openly shared and there is no reason to doubt it. Its just sum of statistical data. No one pretends it is ultimate list valid for everyone. Jesus Christ.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

April 6th, 2020, 22:17
I suspect System Shock 2 isn't on the list because they consider it an RPG.
Or perhaps that Now that you mentioned it, this is the only reason not to include SS2 on their aforemetioned list.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 6th, 2020, 23:49
Homm3, Tie Fighter and Xcom? I approve of this list. I enjoyed all of the games I've played on that list, and it's silly to have an opinion on the ones I haven't.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

April 7th, 2020, 00:01
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
That is ridiculous, I dont get---.
I never meant for you to get things I say. Do not worry, this does not change anything vital in your everyday life. You will be fine.

Nereida

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games