Final Fantasy VII - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Final Fantasy VII

Default Final Fantasy VII

March 4th, 2020, 03:19
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
… if I've the urge to really replay before then, the classic version will serve me well.
Modding the game with all those fixed up textures and improved models should be easier with a new version of 7th Heaven sometime soon.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#81

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2020, 20:14
All I can say is that I can't wait until the remake comes out. It's supposed to be significantly different from the original, and considering it's widely considered to be the best game in the franchise, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this release.
Skyfly18 is offline

Skyfly18

Traveler

#82

Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 12th, 2020, 19:11
According to Kotaku review, to complete the game, means all side quests and the main story, you need 37 hours:
https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii…iew-1842697312

Less than 100 hours, sorry, that's not Final Fantasy.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#83

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,302
Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

Default 

April 12th, 2020, 19:37
Nothing stopping you from spending 50+ hours mindlessly grinding, which is the only way you would make any of the other Final Fantasy games last 100 hours.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#84

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 14th, 2020, 03:11
Yeah, but he's got a point - 35 hours sounds like about half the length of a typical FF game to me. I sure hope the later installments are a lot longer.

And I still don't know just how those installments will work with save games made from this game. Would people that do a lot of crazy grinding have it easy in the next game or will everyone start out the same?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#85

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2020, 04:12
Absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite JRPG of all time (and before you rush to your keyboard and accuse me of being 16 and never having played X JPRG game, I've played virtually all of them)

Apparently a lot of people like grinding a whole lot. No Final Fantasy game save XII took me more than 40 hours, and that one took only a bit longer and that because there's a lot of hunts and such to do. I can't imagine turning any of them into 70-100 hour games. The 43 hours FF7 Remake took was very substantial. Tons of memorable moments in this game, and I never got tired of the gameplay.

Btw, if you absolutely MUST play it for 70+ hours, there's a hard mode that unlocks after you finish the game and you can play in that mode chapter by chapter as you desire.
Last edited by JFarrell71; April 24th, 2020 at 04:59.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#86

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 02:38
You're 16 (in bristlecone pine years) and you've never played X:Beyond the Frontier!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#87

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 03:57
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
You're 16 (in bristlecone pine years) and you've never played X:Beyond the Frontier!
On a side note, I wanted to get into those games but couldn't quite do it. I was eyeballing 4 again yesterday because they just put out an expansion for it.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#88

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 05:13
So on a side note how many games are planned as the part is basically the prolouge + chapter one? I was reading it might take four more games to finish the rest, and if so that's to expensive for me.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Dreg of Society

#89

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Spudland
Posts: 22,602
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 05:19
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So on a side note how many games are planned as the part is basically the prolouge + chapter one? I was reading it might take four more games to finish the rest, and if so that's to expensive for me.
I don't think SquareEnix themselves have discussed it, so it's all outside speculation. I think it'll take at least two more installments but beyond that, I don't know. It is a game's worth of content, so if you think of it as three (or whatever) games in a series with continuity (like the Witcher or Mass Effect series are) rather than parts of one game, it's not overpriced.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#90

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 05:39
I get that buts it's a remake of a full game. It's hilarious actually because if you told me I would have to pay over $200 to play a full game, I would of laughed & called it a scam years ago. Sems times and buyer habits changed over the years.

Hopefully it's fully finished and doesn't take another 5+ years.

As for Mass Effect and Witcher the games actually we're complete and each had an ending. Not really the same but I get your point.

My final point is I'm not liking the new Square Enix. So who knows I may buy the complete trioligy? someday for a lot less.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Dreg of Society

#91

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Spudland
Posts: 22,602
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2020, 09:12
I thought it was mentioned a long time ago that it was going to be three parts. I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember. That was probably just speculation though.

Three would be about right since the first part covered roughly about the same as the first disc in the original version, and the original was three discs.

Since they're expanding the story in some parts, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being four installments. Anything more than that though would be disappointing imo and would make a lot of fans feel like Square Enix is just milking it.
Last edited by JDR13; April 24th, 2020 at 09:24. Reason: Grammar
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#92

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,327
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2020, 00:22
Yup, I'm certainly waiting until this is fully available before picking it up myself, and prior to that I'll be checking out several reviews. I'm not planning to simply throw money away if it turns out to be rubbish.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#93

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,783
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Default 

April 26th, 2020, 00:33
Well it doesn't show up on PC for about a year anyway - we should definitely know by then.

Hey @JFarrell71, when you were playing, did the game seem to be setting up to continue your save game in the next installment? For instance, the original game had some of those Turtle's Paradise posters as collectables to turn in well after Midgard - or nuts that were useless until you got to where you could breed chocobos. I'm wondering if they are going to continue the saved games or just start everyone the same in the next installment.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#94

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

April 26th, 2020, 00:54
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Well it doesn't show up on PC for about a year anyway - we should definitely know by then.

Hey @JFarrell71, when you were playing, did the game seem to be setting up to continue your save game in the next installment? For instance, the original game had some of those Turtle's Paradise posters as collectables to turn in well after Midgard - or nuts that were useless until you got to where you could breed chocobos. I'm wondering if they are going to continue the saved games or just start everyone the same in the next installment.
I don't recall anything like that. IIRC everything I had and did had a purpose within this installment.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#95

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 28th, 2020, 10:21
Once PS exclusivity wears off I'd be frankly amazed if it doesn't hit every platform possible.
BestFl4sh is offline

BestFl4sh

BestFl4sh's Avatar
Traveler

#96

Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

April 28th, 2020, 16:08
I'm sure it will simply to maximize the sales/potential. This was/is a big title, and should be show that respect until proven otherwise, I'm just praying it doesn't turn out to be a lemon best forgotten.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#97

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,783
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Default 

April 29th, 2020, 06:01
Originally Posted by BestFl4sh View Post
Once PS exclusivity wears off I'd be frankly amazed if it doesn't hit every platform possible.
Well, there's a thing: namely the PS5 thing. It will very likely be showing up before FF7R gets through all episodes. So how is that going to happen? Will Square do the first two episodes for PS4 then make the rest just for PS5? Sony would love that but Square would get a lot of hate for it from players that won't be able to (or just don't want to) afford a PS5 for a while. So maybe they will re-release the episodes upgraded for PS5 with a reduced cost for people who have the PS4 version? Or maybe they will just finish the whole thing on PS4 and the release a "definitive" edition with all episodes on PS5?

Then you have the PC hanging out there. Will PC gamers want the PS5 version or the PS4? Or are they going to get some sort of upgrade option, too??

I'm sure this will get to PC (and Xbox) some day but, depending on how all this plays out, I wouldn't count on it being 1 year and 2 seconds after the PS4 release.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#98

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,942
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

April 30th, 2020, 12:48
Originally Posted by joxer View Post

Less than 100 hours, sorry, that's not Final Fantasy.
NG+ on hard, which changes the approach to battles.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#99

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,251
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

May 2nd, 2020, 22:58
I beat it in about 45 hours….a lot of fun, really enjoyed it.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#100

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,140
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Tags
ff7, materia, sephiroth, shinra, square
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Final Fantasy VII
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:11.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch