General News - Game Sales Up, Production Down - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Game Sales Up, Production Down

Default General News - Game Sales Up, Production Down

April 23rd, 2020, 17:58
The New York Times have an article on game development and game sales during the corona crisis. Amongst other Larian's Swen Vincke had something to say about the impact on game developement.

During the early days of self-quarantine at Larian Studios, the independent video game developer founded in Ghent, Belgium, morale remained high. Designers and engineers, many of whom worked remotely (the company has 300 employees across five countries), were able to continue to do so, building levels and writing code from their homes.

"The very first week, it went really well," said Swen Vincke, the chief executive at Larian, which makes popular role-playing games like Divinity: Original Sin and the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3. "Everyone had all the information they needed to just smoothly go work from home."

But as the company entered the second and third weeks of social isolation amid the coronavirus pandemic, problems began to emerge. Parents have to work while caring for young children. Some employees have found themselves working limited or unusual hours, which has led to reduced productivity and communication struggles. And with Larian's external partners closing or transitioning to remote work, everything has slowed down.

"We started seeing more stress on the leads in terms of communication," Mr. Vincke said. "We'd spend all of our days just communicating -- trying to solve problems, organize things, give direction."

More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

April 23rd, 2020, 18:51
Make sense the consumers need entertainment during the lockdown, and the employees need to adjust from working at home. Most smaller teams already did this due to outsourcing.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

April 25th, 2020, 18:53
Heh-heh. This home office thing gets to bring the WORST from your staff.
I know, I wrestle this issue for more than a month with my team.
This is a rite of passage.
IF you can work from home, IF you can be a team player in isolation -- you are passed.
Else I'll fire you.

/evil boss

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

April 29th, 2020, 01:50
Get to work you slackers! Crack!!!

I read an interesting article on NPR this morning:

Why Remote Work Sucks, According To Science

I can definitely relate.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Game Sales Up, Production Down