What games are you playing now? - Page 640 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

April 26th, 2020, 20:27
Stoneshard and Fort Triumph.
--
Nom Es Memoria.

Void000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 26th, 2020, 20:53
[QUOTE=skally_wag;1061602761I have recently reinstalled ready to replay Original sin 2 (Enhanced edition) apparently a lot has been added?.[/QUOTE]

I think the earlier parts of the game are mostly the same save bug fixing, but they apparently expanded the latter parts of the game substantially. (I've only played it in its original form)

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

April 27th, 2020, 12:23
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Yeah I'm going to buy a new AMD gaming PC. Yes I know Intel and Nvidia are a better option but my wallet is tight.
Intel, no. And it seems it'll stay that way,
Currently AMD CPU is the correct option. Any Ryzen to be precise as you get 4 cores minimum. If you can wait a while, 3100 is supposed to be priced only a hundred bucks and is stronger than some of old i7 - I have no idea why people were buying those i7 for gaming and spending like $300 instead of grabbing cheaper i5 back in the day.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

April 27th, 2020, 15:51
Played XCOM Chimera Squad for a couple of hours last night.

I like how Fireaxis gives a theme to each episodes and stick to it, mechanically.
The first one was The Invasion, it was a war and XCOM were soldiers and had planes and rocket launchers, and the second was the Resistance, a guerilla war based on sabotage and acquiring intels.
This one is police work, of the special force kind.
It takes cues on games like SWAT and Door Kickers, and mix it with Fireaxis own multiplayer mode for XCOM2 (in wich we can command any alien units, and it's excellent!) and adapt the result to their formula.

It works well, with its short burst missions and a charming rag tag team of misfits from (reeeeeally) different origins and with different capabilities. No new recruits and customizations though…
The big change is the breach mechanic, cool but repetitive (I'm not sure I'll find it cool until the end of the game).
Tactical maps are smaller, and fights are mainly close combats from what I've seen so far so… Bring the shotguns!

The trailer could let believe that the game had shitty edgy dialogs, but besides a few bad jokes from one team member, it's okay (I kicked her off).
The tone is still lighter than in the other episodes but, after all, the war is over.

It's not really a new episode though, more like XCOM 2.5, but it shows a possible direction for XCOM3.
For example, they changed the shitty overwatch system from XCOM2 to adopt the excellent one present in Phoenix Point (where you have to actually choose what area you're overwatching, makes way more sense and prevent your guys to use their single overwatch action NOT shooting at the right target).

All in all, pretty good, even more so since it's only 10 Eurodollars.
--
The delightful and ever novel pleasure of a useless occupation.
Last edited by Winterfart; April 27th, 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Grammar

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 27th, 2020, 19:09
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Intel, no. And it seems it'll stay that way,
Currently AMD CPU is the correct option. Any Ryzen to be precise as you get 4 cores minimum. If you can wait a while, 3100 is supposed to be priced only a hundred bucks and is stronger than some of old i7 - I have no idea why people were buying those i7 for gaming and spending like $300 instead of grabbing cheaper i5 back in the day.
Don't want to go more off-topic but damn Nvidia mid range cards cost $350+. I'll settle for an AMD 5700 for $225.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

April 27th, 2020, 22:20
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. I'll play 76 again I'm sure but I'm in no hurry. I'm waiting for a TempDart or TempAgnan to show up and review it.
It's definitely worth firing up again if you liked FO3 or FO4 at all. Even if you're sick to death of FO76, just ignore the core game loop as much as possible and explore the new content (new settlements, raiders, proper quests). You can even bring allies back to your camp and they'll hang around while you do a quest line related to them (then I guess you kick them out and get a different ally for a different set of quests).

Of course, new content means new bugs. I had an ally accidentally walk on a trap I'd set outside my house, so he started shooting up all my structures. This woke up all of my turrets, who also started shooting up my structures. Logged out before too much damage was caused.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

April 28th, 2020, 05:09
Yep, that's why I'm waiting a while. I'll definitely give it a go eventually. The last time I played, the only real fun was to wait until the golf course/hotel got nuked and to run around and kill radiated ghouls and collect uber loot. Then they nerfed it and there wasn't really a game there.

Did they change it so the overseer can be found alive and interacted with in the update? It seems like that would be the logical thing to do, but we're talking Bethesda here.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

April 28th, 2020, 05:37
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Did they change it so the overseer can be found alive and interacted with in the update? It seems like that would be the logical thing to do, but we're talking Bethesda here.
Yep, that's exactly what they did. She even has a house, and I recently did a quest where she accompanied me
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

+1:

April 28th, 2020, 09:00
I started playing xcom chimera squad.
I think it's quite a fun game. Its not super deep but it's fun turn based combat.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

April 28th, 2020, 16:04
That Xcom Chimera game looks pretty good to me, waiting to hear what a mate thinks about it myself before making a decision. It doesn't have to be super deep to lure me in for a long stay!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

May 1st, 2020, 12:34
I played a few hours of Operencia, a party based blobber. My initial reaction was quite positive. Nice, crisp graphics (smooth even on my potato), potentially interesting mechanics, and a refreshingly whimsical tone. My interest dwindled during ganeplay though. The opening area, a submerged dungeon, was nicely done overall. The second level was a bland forest full of spiders though, which was less engaging, and the combat was getting a bit wearisome - the mechanics weren't as interesting in practice as I thought they might be. Ultimately, the party banter led to me putting it down. There are no conversation options, so you just click through the vapid blah-blah for lore. It would be much better if the banter was briefer, but they even comment at length on fairly simple puzzles - eg, a mouth in the floor that says "feed me" led to a whole banter about maybe needing to find some food to put into the mouth. Thanks - I got that. Shortly after that I decided I'd had enough and quit.

I've now fired up Beautiful Desolation, which is an adventure game rather than an RPG but does have convo options etc. It looks great, lovely isometric artstyle, and it's certainly atmospheric. I'm only an hour in but I think I'll be sticking with this one to the end.

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 1st, 2020, 17:37
Needed a break from BG2 and Kingmaker, and after watching an hilarious review of it I decided to try Dungeon Siege 1 (better late than blablablah).
It's cool, mindless fun, wrecking everything with a party of height badass motherquester!
--

Winterfart

Passenger

May 2nd, 2020, 05:59
Finally went back to play Shadowrun: Hong Kong. But the Whistleblower mission just totally locks my display every time. I'm bummed about that. It's not like it's particularly taxing graphically; just some annoying bug.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

May 2nd, 2020, 17:06
So I picked up a bunch of games on the Squeenix GoG sale including the Deus Ex, Thief and Dungeon Siege games (yes, already owned most on Steam).

Playing Dungeon Siege 2 - as I remember it is a fun romp that has some amount to do, not so much of an 'auto-ply' like the first, but has definitely aged over the last 14 years! haha
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

May 5th, 2020, 05:34
I'm still playing X4. It's taken hold of my mind like no other game since Crusader Kings II. It's certainly not perfect, but it's also a masterpiece.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 5th, 2020, 14:39
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Playing Dungeon Siege 2 - as I remember it is a fun romp that has some amount to do, not so much of an 'auto-ply' like the first, but has definitely aged over the last 14 years! haha
Yeah, but I still find DS1 more fun. It kind of plays like a mix of Diablo and Age of Empires combats, it's quite relaxing after the insane mage fights of BG2 endgame (those effing lichs!) and the long battles of Kingmaker in turn-based mode.

And you only can have a four men party in DS2, wich is very, very sad.
Also, no pack mules.
Nuff said.
--
Last edited by Winterfart; May 5th, 2020 at 15:17.

Winterfart

Passenger

+1:

May 10th, 2020, 13:37
Still suffering from post-completion blues.

That said, I'm having a great time with a little retro-project involving an 8 TB HyperSpin collection and a nice setup for those 90.000 games or however many there are.

Not that I'm likely to ever really play them - but still.
Last edited by GlimpseDart; May 10th, 2020 at 16:48.

GlimpseDart

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 13th, 2020, 12:33
Late to the party edition V 24868345:
Bard's Tale 4: Director's Cut
A pleasant surprise to me so far (cca 15 hrs in):
- Quirky but understated satire (Larian, this is how to do comedy!)
- Excellent combat (simple AND strategical)
- Great balance (relatively sparse combat, cool puzzles, atmospheric exploration)
- User-friendly (optional helpers, difficulty, etc)

All in all, I understand why this game dissed by the hardcore, but I'm proud to differ

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

May 13th, 2020, 12:40
Just fired up Disco Elysium. Really impressed so far. Great atmosphere and writing.

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 18th, 2020, 00:53
Aside the aforementioned BT4, a misunderstood, modern underdog, I started to enjoy another misunderstood,modern underdog:
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions (Switch, also on PC)

This game is a bitch: had to restart for at least a dozen times until I finally "got it".
Now I'm a true believer, as this game nails so many things right.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?