Posting habits - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Posting habits

Default Posting habits

March 5th, 2020, 16:23
I've noticed many people post something they're passionate about and then feel the need to defend that viewpoint to the death. Why? It's just your opinion. People are going to have differences. Are any of you actually being paid to back said opinion? Nope.

I personally will make threads and really only go back if somebody @crpgnut 's me. I'll read a handful of posts, but if someone disagrees that's their prerogative. I guess I don't get arguing or endless debates just for the habit of it.

Just my 2Ę

P.S. I admit to staunchly defending Skyrim, but that's mostly in jest
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 8,032
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 16:39
It's not just posting; it's everything. And the word "passionate" is people's excuse to do it. I just heard one political commentator shout down someone on T.V. to their face, then excuse her own behavior by saying, "I'm sorry; it's just a subject I'm passionate about."

Everyone these days fights tooth and nail to the death about every damn thing. It hardly even matters what the subject is. You're not allowed to be wrong. You're not allowed to make a mistake, even though being wrong and making mistakes is how we learn. Only those who can demonstrate their purity of thought from the beginning of time are worthy of being heard.

It's all a bunch of nonsense.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 16:48
I'll defend my mushrooms suck, grinding sucks, lootboxes suck, etc viewpoint till I die so there.

When it comes to actual tastes however… I said once, maybe twice that TW3 Triss>Yen. That's it. You don't agree, okay. Your choice. I know what I like, you know what you like.

About actual "posting habits"…
Some days I have absolutely no desire to write anything. Some days I have a need to comment even silly P&R stuff. And that's it. No rule.
However, even if I'm in the spam'n'troll mood, when a thread starts to bore me by being too long or discussing something over and over page after page, I start ignoring it.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,269
Mentioned: 177 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 18:07
I read an article the other day that nowadays we tend to talk instead of simply shutting up and listening. Listening to what the other has to say, to ask questions, not out of politeness but because you are curious about what the answer will be. Listening, but also to just say nothing for a while, to let any (un)comfortable silence be broken by the other one, to see whether s/he will say something unexpected. When people get the feeling you heard what they were saying they feel connected.

This talking, the article said, is everywhere, e.g. people on YT, Instagram, WA, to show the world all sorts of things about themselves, things that is happening to THEM, things that matter to THEM.

And I agree. Aren’t young ones being taught to be the center of attention, and that being quiet or having no opinion (yet) is dull, and only for losers? You must be able to speak up, speak up for yourself now before somebody else gets the spotlight.

The article continued: when everybody is talking there is hardly anyone listening, hardly anyone paying attention to what is actually being said or done, so the need for recognition is even greater than before, at the start. Yes, I thought: you could see it that way: all in an emotional desert longing for loneliness to be lifted.

Anyway that or it must be something in the water.

Mind you, @crpgnut, the Watch is a place of discussion (well and news ofc). It would be a bit weird if people started to stimulate silence. So I’m definitely not doing that here.
Also, what you regard as ‘defending’, might be something different: people like to see others agree with them, and when that goal can not be reached: to be understood at least. When that does not seem to be the case, they get frustrated and double their efforts. Or blame the other one for not paying attention/being an idiot.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; March 5th, 2020 at 18:11. Reason: Added: and news ofc, changed ‘wrong’ > a bit weird
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#4

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 18:41
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
The article continued: when everybody is talking there is hardly anyone listening, hardly anyone paying attention to what is actually being said or done, so the need for recognition is even greater than before, at the start. Yes, I thought: you could see it that way: all in an emotional desert longing for loneliness to be lifted.
My grand mother used to tell me that too much of anything is bad. Too much happiness, too much freedom etc are all just as bad as too much sadness and too little freedom etc. She has always maintained that everything in moderation. I never agreed with her when I was young but I am beginning to see the wisdom in her words as I grew older!

Why I say this? I think we focus too much on the individual in the world now, specially the western world, instead of the society as whole. This has lead to very entitled new generation who only cares about THEMselves. Everything has to revolves around THEM. Since each individual is unique there are infinite numbers of these demand etc. They are no longer willing to give up something for others. This is why everybody is talking and no one is listening. Too much individual freedom got us here or at least that's my theory!

Having said all that, I don't think we will ever have nice equilibrium as well where the needs of the individual and the society are finely balanced! The pendulum will swing from one to the other, too much individual freedom too much authoritarian system etc.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 18:45
I donít think thereís anything wrong with defending some thing youíre passionate about. Wether one should be passionate about video games, I guess is another story. Thereís also a difference between defending something passionately and just being belligerent.

I actually donít have a problem with someone defending their view point. Itís more annoying to me when posts donít get responded to.

So much so I actually recently looked at my post history ( for this year) and found that I get a response to my posts about 40% of the time. So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it. Iíll admit sometimes I post stuff thatís just one line and not really much to respond to but some of them were actually me quoting someone else.

Now donít get me wrong I donít take it personally or sit up at night wondering why no one will talk to me. However some of these post are long with quite a bit of thought behind them and it makes me wonder if I only get a 40% response rate is it really a good way to spend my time?
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,207
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 18:56
It's runaway egotism, and it's a subject I know a little something about.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 19:24
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I've noticed many people post something they're passionate about and then feel the need to defend that viewpoint to the death. Why? It's just your opinion. People are going to have differences. Are any of you actually being paid to back said opinion? Nope.
It's like Religion to people : To defend what one believes in. Crusade.
And this is what fanatism and radicalism makes so dangerous.

Also, it often is pure competition : The one who survives it (by defending it), wins.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 19,164
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 20:37
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 21:04
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
get a response to my posts about 40% of the time.
That's actually a pretty good stat.

If you want to cheese this higher for the next period then just sit tight and wait for Dart's next account to drop by, then pounce and reply to five or six of his posts. Once you get to about 75% respond rate you'll soon be wishing you were back down in the 40s and you'll be cured.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 22:28
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
That's actually a pretty good stat.

If you want to cheese this higher for the next period then just sit tight and wait for Dart's next account to drop by, then pounce and reply to five or six of his posts. Once you get to about 75% respond rate you'll soon be wishing you were back down in the 40s and you'll be cured.
We should make a competition where everyone guesses the date he pops up next. Bonus points if you can guess what his username will be
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

#11

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 22:31
An office pool…I haven't bought squares in a long time…
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 5th, 2020, 22:44
I’ll easily win that one. Before approving his new posts I join the competition and answer both questions correctly.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#13

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 03:28
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it.
NONONONONOOO!!!! Just because nobody responds doesn't mean nobody was interested in what you read! Please don't make me quote 60% of the posts you write and just give "yes, well put" as a response!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their viewsÖ.
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#14

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,927
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 12:45
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I donít think thereís anything wrong with defending some thing youíre passionate about. Wether one should be passionate about video games, I guess is another story. Thereís also a difference between defending something passionately and just being belligerent.

I actually donít have a problem with someone defending their view point. Itís more annoying to me when posts donít get responded to.

So much so I actually recently looked at my post history ( for this year) and found that I get a response to my posts about 40% of the time. So 60% of the time I might as well just talk to myself rather than take the time to type it. Iíll admit sometimes I post stuff thatís just one line and not really much to respond to but some of them were actually me quoting someone else.

Now donít get me wrong I donít take it personally or sit up at night wondering why no one will talk to me. However some of these post are long with quite a bit of thought behind them and it makes me wonder if I only get a 40% response rate is it really a good way to spend my time?
I am going to make it point to quote all your post, including this one. What more I will make sure I will tag you also @sakichop

Jokes aside, I agree with many thing you say and sometimes wanted to respond but don't. I look at the forums mostly on the phone and its pain to respond but when I go home there are other things to do so never really look at the forums on a PC etc. So there are practical reason like this as to why people don't always respond.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#15

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 12:47
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
We should make a competition where everyone guesses the date he pops up next. Bonus points if you can guess what his username will be
I don't understand why Dart deletes his account. If things get bit heated I tend take break from here and then I come back after couple months. But I guess its fun new game to guess his new username!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#16

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 13:42
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I don't understand why Dart deletes his account. If things get bit heated I tend take break from here and then I come back after couple months. But I guess its fun new game to guess his new username!
Me neither, but to each their own, I guess, from the amount of posts/comments he manages to make each time (in the span of just a few days), he is somewhat addicted (maybe too hard of a word) to this forum, or forums in general. Having to register a new account is like a hurdle keeping him from spending so much time here. I had something similar with Facebook 10 years ago; I had to delete my account because I was spending too much time on it. Now I have one for work but don't post anything and have un-followed everyone so I don't see anyone's posts (great feature, would have been useful 10 years ago).
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

#17

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 14:01
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
NONONONONOOO!!!! Just because nobody responds doesn't mean nobody was interested in what you read! Please don't make me quote 60% of the posts you write and just give "yes, well put" as a response!
I agree, although that's kinda what the thumb-up button is for, I guess?

Of course, that does not come with a notification.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#18

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 14:58
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I don't understand why Dart deletes his account.
Because he's deluded it'll help achieving whatever artificial goal he set that is not compatible with his character.
Won't go more details since he's not here so that'd be unfair. Have to write and save some txt to use as a post during his next visit, the other day he caught me unpreapred then left fast.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#19

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,269
Mentioned: 177 Post(s)

Default 

March 6th, 2020, 15:58
I enjoy arguments, as long as the participants are making valid points and not repeating themselves. I sometimes make I provocative statements because I want to see the counter-argument, not as a troll, I'm seeking validation or correction.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo
Philistine is online now

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Posting habits
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:56.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch