Larian Studios - Website Tease

FYI I got to the party late.

They changed three.mp4 to Takoyaki_3Dv2.mp4 and removed all references to BaldursGate. Added a reference to Svens Birthday though. Edited May 30th.
Changed the gif to "calamari-to-go.gif"

Hell no keep the Owlcat working on Pathfinder, they got that system figured out now.
Same thought here. They just spent years perfecting a great Pathfinder engine, why would anyone want them to suddenly have to divert all their attention to (most likely) D&D 5 now? Obsidian and Larian have a lot more resources and can focus on multiple games at once, not to mention their current games aren't on particularly spectacular rules systems.

Same thought here. They just spent years perfecting a great Pathfinder engine, why would anyone want them to suddenly have to divert all their attention to (most likely) D&D 5 now? Obsidian and Larian have a lot more resources and can focus on multiple games at once, not to mention their current games aren't on particularly spectacular rules systems.

Because Owlcat's style is closer to BG than Larian or Obsidian's. It requires more than just resources to create a great game as well - both companies decided to go with simpler/less spectacular rule set with their previous games so that does not bode for well this speculated new BG game.

Seems I missed something. If it is BG3 then this will make or break them. No in betweens.

I'd love another story set in Forgotten Realms, but not sure it has to be a continuation of Baldur's Gate? More stuff on Waterdeep - Undermountain etc...And anything Underdark is always great , of course those locations have been explored before...

They're probably embarrassed some geek looked at the webpage script and found out that BG3 info. Who would have thought there would be people out there nerdy enough, desperate or autistic enough to do something like that anyway...:p

Because now Larian's huge announcement was spoiled and they lost some of their thunder and potential hype points.

Anyway, I'm still hyped about the game and interested to hear more, the sooner the better.

I'd love another story set in Forgotten Realms, but not sure it has to be a continuation of Baldur's Gate? More stuff on Waterdeep - Undermountain etc…And anything Underdark is always great , of course those locations have been explored before…

I agree they should do an original Forgotten Realms game instead, but unfortunately money talks louder than anything. Baldur's Gate is too recognizable a name for them to not use it.

Personally, I really wish they wouldn't. The Bhaalspawn saga ended with Throne of Bhaal, and now they're going to shoehorn in some way to continue it.

I wonder if they might just be using Baldurs Gate for its name-recognition value, while doing quite a different story. Baldurs Gate III: Wizards Gone Wild.

I'd love another story set in Forgotten Realms, but not sure it has to be a continuation of Baldur's Gate? More stuff on Waterdeep - Undermountain etc…And anything Underdark is always great , of course those locations have been explored before…
It will be definetely be set around Baldur's Gate. The next tabletop product set for September release is called Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus. As the DnD games this decade (Neverwinter, Sword Coast Legends, Tales from Candlekeep) all followed the "main" WotC storylines, I expect BG3 to do so as well.

I think it's extremely likely that the game will be set in current 5E setting, meaning around 1490 DR, which is 121 years after the events of BG2. So I think it will mostly be a sequel in name only with some small tie-ins.

The protagonist of the BG series, canonically known as Abdel Adrian, already appeared in an official 5e adventure product (Murder in Baldur's Gate) as one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate. He allegedly died in the process, but in a rather vague fashion and death is often not final in Forgotten Realms. I'm very curious if he will somehow make an appearance. Maybe even as a protagonist again, in a similar way to the Nameless One in Planescape Torment. Oh, and Coran, the elf companion from BG1 also made an appearance there.

I think one guaranteed character to appear is Minsc (along with Boo), because he's a fan favourite and was also officially brought into 5e Realms through some funky magic (by being petrified for the 100 years time jump) and featured in a comic series. I even saw him in Neverwinter MMO the other day (which by the way added Undermountain in the latest content update, that also radically changed the core gameplay and made the game almost unplayable for me.)

CD Projekt
Piranha Bytes
Warhorse Studios
Owlcat

It's the eastern hemisphere we rely on now for good RPGs.

I don't think Beamdog would be up to the same task as Larian.

Who else is left?
Bioware? MicroObsidiXileSoft?
Could you imagine the backlash if it was Bethesda?

Garriot/Portalarium.

They sureley need something to do after Shroud of the Avatar.

pibbur who, despite not showing an xcd is joking.

PS. Regarding SoA: They seem rather desperate now: They've offered me 250000XP + a free potion if I just login some time this month. Not sure if I bother., didn't bother last month when they wanted to give me a free house. DS.

PPS: On topic: I thnk Larian would be well up to the task (correct English?), but in general I'm ...not exactly sceptical, but certainly not hyped, for any revamp of any old series. Results so far have mostly been ... underwhelming. So I wait and see- (Same applies to the upcoming Vampire game). DS

Right now, if one waits for half a minute or so, the III gets a small blackish dust cloud and black worm-like or snake-like things are around the III symbols.
That lasts only for a few seconds, though.

Anyway, from an art point of view, this III symbol is the *perfect* example of what I call the "heavymetalization of fantasy".

This III symbol would be perfect for an heavy metal album.

Shows very much into which direction we are going, and what the state of man-made games are (games are mostly made by games, and if they use such an heavy metal symbol, it says a lot about what's going on in the minds of thoose who invent it).

No light, plase. No colours, please. No other stuff than metal. And, of course, darkess. Every manly game has to have a LOT of darkess.
Colours and light and everything else are for children and women.

I wonder if they might just be using Baldurs Gate for its name-recognition value, while doing quite a different story. Baldurs Gate III: Wizards Gone Wild.

I also don't see why they couldn't use the setting/area of Baldur's Gate without trying to continue the Bhaal saga. Plenty of room for new stories in da Gate.

*snip*
No light, plase. No colours, please. No other stuff than metal. And, of course, darkess. Every manly game has to have a LOT of darkess.
Colours and light and everything else are for children and women.

For my taste, yes. The grimdarker the better.

This is my main gripe with D:OS: It is too cheerful. The first time I saw my char change into a barrel when sneaking I seriously wanted to quit.

I'd vote for seeing the Underdark or Undermountain fully fleshed out, but like others I suspect it will focus on the Balder's Gate area. And for crying out loud, please do not question or retro anything that occurred in the previous games!!

Right now, if one waits for half a minute or so, the III gets a small blackish dust cloud and black worm-like or snake-like things are around the III symbols.
Cthulhu confirmed!

Snore. Do not really want. And a BGIII needs to be RTWP, which is not Larians thing lately. Divine Divinity and even Ego Draconis were far better games IMO than OS1 and 2 and I would love a real sequel to DD but it will never happen. Sad.

Yeah, that's what I expect. It's just going to take place in and around the city of Baldur's Gate, but it might not have much to do with the Bhaalspawn Saga. Then again, maybe it does, and maybe it continues the story somehow. Either way I'm hyped, can't wait for a new Baldur's Gate game. :)

Back
Top Bottom