Choosing a laptop

Wojciech

Traveler
Hello !

Long time lurker, but my first post.
My current (soon to be ex) pc is showing signs of tiredness after 5 years of service; and i am considering purchasing a laptop to be able to play things like KCD or AC:eek:rigins (Probably the most recent and demanding games i have played).
I live in NZ, so prices can be steep - but i found this laptop: Asus TUF506 RTX 2060 15.6” amd ryzen7 4800H 16gb 512 Gb. Priced at 2100nz$.
Do you have any thoughts on this configuration ? Is there anything else i should consider (within reason :) )?

Many thanks !
W

Any reason to go with a gaming laptop instead of PC? For years the idea of a gaming laptop has been intriguing for myself even, but in the end in order to get the proper experience out of it, I still end up plugging in a mouse, keyboard, monitor and also on AC power so that I get more than 2 hours of battery life. The only advantages I’ve admitted is that they’re nice for the rare LAN party and is great for minimalists and/or those with zero space or low power consumption like campers or truck drivers. But not worth the investment other than that. And right now Ryzen makes a desktop PC extremely compelling Plus there’s the added issue of laptops being proprietary by nature, so that required extended warranty probably equal to or costs more than a decent gaming PC itself.

This is simply my take on gaming laptops themselves as a main gaming system. Getting a cheap used Thinkpad and playing browser based, dosbox or even the occasional diablo 3 can be great.

If your peripheral hardware is still OK, than only replace the computer. It will be cheaper and or much faster for the same value. If you want to have a mobile(ish) platform, than the proposed laptop will do the job just fine.

Back
Top Bottom