Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Tyrannosaurus Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamingbolt reports on a new update for Age of Wonders: Planetfall which features more difficulty settings and a no colonizer mode.

Triumph Studios' Age of Wonders: Planetfall made a pretty decent impact at launch but has somewhat fallen off over the months. Fortunately, the new Tyrannosaurus update is here to spice things up, granting more customization for difficulty settings, new features, improvements and more. Check out the release trailer below.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

So time to go at it again? Or perhaps wait for the next expansion.

This is still one of the games I play most of all, one that I keep coming back to. I've been addicted to these games since my wife and I were playing Age of Wonders I, though.

The sci-fi setting is a nice mixup from the normal fantasy fare. This most recent update was a little underwhelming to me, and I didn't really care for the Heritor DLC/expansion/whatever that was, but overall this game is quite fun both single and multiplayer. You can crank up the difficulty if you feel like a real challenge when you start to understand the game mechanics, but you can also play on a very easy mode while you're learning.

I still want a new race. :D

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I played this at launch a fair bit and came away pretty disappointed. They were obviously trying to flesh out previous games with a more 4x feel (which I was looking forward to) but for the most part I felt they failed. Convoluted UI, underwhelming land expansion/management mechanics and mostly uninteresting tech trees made the game feel like a poor version of Beyond Earth (with Rising Tide).

The combat is still great (and maybe even better than past games), but there's not much I'd praise beyond that.

I played this at launch a fair bit and came away pretty disappointed. They were obviously trying to flesh out previous games with a more 4x feel (which I was looking forward to) but for the most part I felt they failed. Convoluted UI, underwhelming land expansion/management mechanics and mostly uninteresting tech trees made the game feel like a poor version of Beyond Earth (with Rising Tide).

The combat is still great (and maybe even better than past games), but there's not much I'd praise beyond that.

I agree the Strategy part can feel a bit dull, but I felt the expansion did several things right in order to improve that (more points if interests like dig sites in sectors, in vanilla they were a bit bland).

I have high hopes this game will actually be quite good...once it's actually quite finished. I haven't bothered to play it yet, but I will.

I have high hopes this game will actually be quite good…once it's actually quite finished. I haven't bothered to play it yet, but I will.

I found it great at release as well, but strategy titles usually get a lot more fleshed out and interesting with expansions.

I have a high opinion of this game - but there's no way I'm investing myself until announced content is released.

I despise not being able to play the "full" game at launch, but I guess I never really did.

I just thought I did.

Back
Top Bottom