Bethesda Softworks - 2 Titles before Elder Scrolls 6

Should Bethesda, as the publisher, get credit for creating Prey though? Same with Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

I guess they played a part by funding(?) those titles, but I don't think any devs from Bethesda actually worked on them.

I'm talking here more about them as a publisher, and that's the sense in which I'm giving them credit. Bethesda as purely the dev studio I see as a different consideration.

As a publishing house, they seem to me to appreciate the benefit of some diversity in their stable, rather than pursuing a very narrow vision of models of short term profit. I think that could serve them, and us, better in the long term. Something like Prey is, to me, an example of a good effort at the sort of traditional game I'd like to see more of, and I give them credit for supporting that, especially in the context of the contemporary industry.

Dishonored, you forgot Dishonored. ;)

I don't think the streamlining of Skyrim or Fallout 4 is bad (sometimes less is more especially considering how convoluted and cumbersome Oblivion was in that respect) the real problem with these games is the writing and that includes dialogues and quest design.

I won't argue that apart from the shooting mechanics Fallout 4 is worse than Fallout New Vegas in almost every way but compared to Oblivion (with its dialogue wheel and insane level scaling) Skyrim is a définitive improvement except for the setting (which is why I have high hopes of returning to the Shivering Isles when the total conversion mod is done that way we can have the best of both).

Right, Bethesda as a developer I ignore unless it is TES/Fallout.
Bethesda Game Studios, the developer in question, has never actually made anything other than TES/Fallout games, with the exception of IHRA Professional Drag Racing 2005, back in 2004. (Well, there was also Fallout Shelter, but Pete Hines said that these 2 games are "significant titles", unlike Fallout Shelter.)

And according to the linked article, Pete Hines also made it clear that his "2 other games first" comment does pertain specifically to the developer Bethesda Game Studios, and not Bethesda Softworks the publisher or anything else.

Really seems like this is bigger news than people here are making it out to be. Wonder what they are up to.

Back
Top Bottom