Last game you finished, tell us about it

Finished Blood and Wine. Has mix feelings. To be honest I found many of the side quests incredibly boring and unimaginative. But then there were those fantastic moments that made it worth the adventure. There were three specific ones that caught my attention:
First there was the bank adventure; short but so true;
Then there was the quest for the cursed young lady; it could have been a bit longer and it would be nice to know her final fate but alas it was what it was.
Last but least much the main quest is boring as hell but the last 3 or 4 hours are fantastic with a wonderful ending.
The problem with the game is that between these few moments of brilliance there is a ton of endless mindless junk.

I think at this point i'm totally burned out on witcher 3 and it will be some years if ever that I touch it. It started with a bang but ends with a whimper. I would like to replay 1 and 2 - 1 has a much longer more complex story and #2 is quite short.

Talos Principle

A Puzzle game.

It starts off both intriguing but kinda lame. But the puzzles very quickly start to be very interesting and involve some lateral thinking to get a resolution. Of the over one hundred puzzles, I may be had to go online about 5 times to get the answer. Of the five only two were patently unfair. I consider that excellent game design.

Talos Principle is a puzzle game inside the format of an adventure game. It also has an excellent story that slowly reveals itself. And then when you figure it all out, at games end. There are still questions. But not from a game plot perspective but from the . . . . ? ? ?

One word of advise. There is a lot of philosophical pondering the game will force upon you. And you really do have to read the texts that are supplied through out the game. They are usually bunched in a group of 3. One is mythological history, one is philosophy and one is about historical events just prior to your arrival in this world. I mention this because I did not really pay attention to the texts in the beginning of the game, I thought there were fluff. So just read and pay attention.

The game took me about 60 hours to complete. It sat in my queue for years until about 3 weeks ago I decided to download and play. While I feel the game is worth full price, you should definitely get this game when it goes on sale.

Talos Principle is a great game.

I finished Final Fantasy twelve: Zodiac Age this past week, and I really enjoyed it. To me, it seemed to meld the best features of a single player game, and then threw in a couple of good parts from an mmo. Initially, you are playing alone with two very different protagonists, which doesn't last very long and you are left with just one.

At the beginning of the real story, you are playing solo, and then you acquire an occasional guest, and these people tend to come and go as the story dictates. I guess if you ever replayed, you'd know best when to take advantage of these situations and use these folk to go after harder targets. Eventually you'll have a team of six that you can draw from to make a three man squad, and even then you'll often have a guest that is along to help that you don't have full control over.

The gambit system....where do I start with this glorious invention? Basically, how this works is you can assign certain orders to people in your team, and they will perform those actions in combat situations. Now, I ran into problems right from the start with this system, if you have too many commands lined up the actual performance can really suffer, and you'll be lucky to live in some battles. I don't recall ever seeing a tool like this in gaming before, the only comparable system I've heard of was that some people in mmo's using cheat programs to get people in their party to perform actions on demand. This being a single person game, it certainly isn't cheating to use, and at some point you'll want to become proficient with it, if you want to excel.

The combat is both turn based and real time, with respawn, except that you can practically dictate exactly how often you wish to fight by simply avoiding creatures. You can see them, and dodge most if you want to avoid some trash battles. When the fights happen, it is timely turn based, and while I'm a much bigger fan of pure turn based, this works just fine for the game. Exploration is well rewarded, I didn't do every single hunt that was available to me during the course of the game, but the ones that I did perform were challenging fights, with decent rewards. The hunts I found to be far more rewarding than simply exploring the maps, but you can certainly get rewards by doing both.

If you've not played a Final Fantasy game, this might be a good entry point, in the sense that it's a bit more modern than some of the past games, and that it incorporates some mmo aspects that might be a bit more prevalent these days. I believe it took me about forty-seven hours to get through, and once again, I certainly didn't do every hunt and extra mission that were available. As for me, I didn't delete this from my hard drive yet, as I may go back at some point and try some of the hunts that I didn't do, or simply just to frolic in this universe a bit more. I was never bored, and it was a total hoot the entire journey.

I believe Final Fantasy twelve Zodiac Age is just one game, without any sequels or expansions that I'm aware of. If I'm wrong, then there is far more to the game than I know of. What I played didn't really need any more content to be exceptionally satisfying, but if it exists, I'd like to know about it!

Yes I finished it a couple of months ago and liked it too. FF12 Zodiac Age (basically FF12 modernized) had a few things that made it much better than the original:
- Ability to 'speed up', you will run around a lot on the field and in towns, and this is a godsend.
- Ability to save anywhere, when I first played FF12 many years ago I abandoned it when after like 1 hour of playing from the last save I entered a room with a boss that insta-killed me. Instant uninstall.
- Zodiac system, basically this makes the game a bit more 'class based'. The original had a shared ability system so after a while everybody knew everything, while now you pick two 'classes' for each character so they feel much more individual.
- Remastered graphics.

You can save anywhere in Zodiac Ages?? Now I feel the dunce, because that's something I was totally unaware of, and well remember having to hunt for save points so I could stop playing. I'll have to remember this if and when I go back for a return visit!

Did you play kb/mouse or controllre ?

I finished Final Fantasy twelve: Zodiac Age this past week, and I really enjoyed it.
As for me, I didn't delete this from my hard drive yet, as I may go back at some point and try some of the hunts that I didn't do, or simply just to frolic in this universe a bit more. I was never bored, and it was a total hoot the entire journey.

Last edited:
Hmm finished Blood&Wine from the Witcher 3 and was dissapointed overall by the main quest, the part in the fables land saved it a little, but the rest was pretty meh; starts well but at some point gets uninteresting and boring. At least the other stuff was done pretty nicely, the new important npcs, the sidequests, new mobs or the cool Tousssaint area.

I finished Tales of Berseria this morning, definitely better than Zestria, at least for me. Zestria started out really strong and become weak and sloggy, while Berseria started off decently and only improved. It was a bit action-y for me, so I doubt I'll ever replay either, but I'm glad I gave them both a shot. Symphonia will remain the best for me in that series, at least up to this point.

I finished my second play-through of D:OS-2. I won't write a lot about the game since many of you have already played. I played on tactical as I did the first time. My party was lohse (caster), fane (caster), ifan (archer), red prince (warrior) (first time I played i had beast for red prince and sebile for fane. The game seemed a lot easier this time and I suspect they toned it down in a few places. The only really hard fight was the last one with the kraken. This time I was able to win that fight without having lucian as an allied (first time I played I could not). I will note that a lot of bugs I suffered the first play have been fixed including massive slow down in certain areas (such as blackpit). Also I believe they changed a few of the puzzles (such as how to enter the imp clockwork area). Also there seem to be less cheating by the ai.
-
Not much more to say; still perplex by rpg-codex review. I do agree that the changes to combat are a bit negative - they add balance at an expense of flexibility but it is the flexibility that makes combat more fun (imho). Oh well I'll probably play one more time in 6 to 8 months after a few more patches.

Not much more to say; still perplex by rpg-codex review. I do agree that the changes to combat are a bit negative - they add balance at an expense of flexibility but it is the flexibility that makes combat more fun (imho). Oh well I'll probably play one more time in 6 to 8 months after a few more patches.

Play it with 2 lone wolf characters, it's a fun run.

Wrapped up X-Com 2 + War of the Chosen. Although the difficulty curve of the game could have definitely been better (started off difficult, but your superhero units made mince meat of most things 2-3 months into the campaign), the game was still incredibly fun and gratifying for a fan of turn-based combat.

However, I was disappointed to discover that the Long War 2 mod was not updated, nor would it be updated for the War of the Chosen expansion :( I had been looking forward to it.

Yeah, the time required to go through Original SIn 2 a second time would dissuade me. How long did it take you? Did you do all quests and explore everything?

I have no clue if I did all the quests. I mean how would i know if I missed a few ? I know that I discovered a few quests that I missed the first time. The last two areas went fairly fast (nameless isle and arx). I think it took 3 or 4 weeks - not sure about hours. It was fun and I chose two companions (origin story) I missed the first time (fane and red prince). fan didn't seem to really have an end-game of a story like red-prince. Oh well. I finished at level 21 (almost 22 - i suppose if i was a mass murderer i could have gotten to level 22 - or perhaps i missed something major?). If I play again i will drop ifan and fan and go with beast, seb, red prince and lohse.

Yeah, the time required to go through Original SIn 2 a second time would dissuade me. How long did it take you? Did you do all quests and explore everything?

Back
Top Bottom