The TV Series discussion thread

I'd be interesting in watching Cobra Kai as well, but it doesn't seem to be showing on any channels in my area as of yet.

..people still watch TV? amazing. i think i've used internet to download series in the last 20 years.

Edit: exactly 20 years, south park s01 was released in '98..

Oddly enough, I still read books as well!!! Funny how those things I used to do in the sixties, seventies, and eighties I continue doing right up to today. Amazing!

Oddly enough, I still read books as well!!! Funny how those things I used to do in the sixties, seventies, and eighties I continue doing right up to today. Amazing!

It's not really comparable though. There's really nothing that has been done to update books to something way more convenient.. There's audio books, ebooks, they have their uses but its not better, faster, more convenient. A better comparison would be "i still don't use mobile phones, i only use my non-portable home phone" or "i don't use email".

But it's also personal preference of course, some people might love listening to the radio or watch TV for nostalgic reasons or whatever the reasons might be. You could also claim its immoral to download TV-series, i have no problem with it, just amazes me (somewhat at least), i can't see myself going back.

For me, it probably has a lot to do with simply not trusting the internet fully, and especially not the system/people behind it. I don't see that changing at all, at least not for me personally. As for mobiles, I had one up to about ten years ago, I gave it away because I found it utterly useless. Maybe I'll pick up another someday, but I doubt it.

Well didn't know about Kobra Kai so thanks for the info. Now just one small problem I am not paying for another streaming service on YouTube. So off to find a streaming site.:biggrin:
For god's sakes it's $10 for one month and don't prolong when it expires. No headaches and malware risks unlike those shady streams.
Cobra Kai strikes me as nothing more than a nostalgia driven cash grab.
So you trust dartagnan. You nuts?
It is not nostalgia driven. It's continuation of the first movie, but not clone, it's different. It's evolution.
Cash grab it is, all tv shows are cash grabs, but this one is not there to scam you.

Said that already, but will add so it's not just repeating. Unlike the movie Cobra Kai is not just trainer/trainee whatnot. It contains crapload of "sidequests".
For example the dinner for a boy with japanese roots - they prepare sushi. Only to learn he refuses to even try it, he adores fish sticks (probably those monsanto GMO corn rubbish with 1% of fish meat inside) and he knows absolutely nothing about Okinawa. Blissful ignorance? Hell I'd kick that cretin outta my house.
Or better yet, someone vandalizes a poster at some high place by drawing a dick on it. And two guys go fix it when one steps, says, on dog poo. Well it ain't dog poo, dogs can't climb up there. Who's poo is that then?

Enough of spoilers. If you want to fastrun a main quest, go rent some silly action B movie. Or play 10 hours long Doom that's also $10… Right? It's 10, not more?
If you want to enjoy a rich story, numerous sidestories and intersting characters, go for Cobra Kai. asap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..people still watch TV? amazing. i think i've used internet to download series in the last 20 years.
See, there is this lil' problem when internet and streams do not have subtitles in your language while classic TV does. And, because it ain't mainstream, there are no fan made subtitles on internet for the show even if it does stream somewhere.
I'm not saying you'll become sir miss-a-lot, that's not on me. But remember, Method, a nearpasterpiece show I've already posted about while legit and free on youtube, has no english subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYuflXJYI4U&list=PLkWF5HzBeoSeXoYmHmHLBuVfIHN2lmL3M
What, you'll download it and use fan subs? No you won't. You can download it, sure, but english fan subs to attach do not exist! :)

I don't speak russian, so… "No place for TV in my room" rule isn't really awsome. From my perspective, ofc.
Anyway, are you ours or theirs? You won't know if you don't watch this show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pic.jpg

SyFy did not want to provide it. Bloody "inners".
Mr. Bezos, I hate your business, but thanks for the ride.

The still is from sci fi masterpiece that was almost killed. The third season just ended. Drop whatever you're doing, playing, following or spamming. Watch The Expanse. Now.

Last edited:
It's not really comparable though. There's really nothing that has been done to update books to something way more convenient.. There's audio books, ebooks, they have their uses but its not better, faster, more convenient. A better comparison would be "i still don't use mobile phones, i only use my non-portable home phone" or "i don't use email".

Have to disagree there. You can pirate most books in the same way if you look hard enough.

Have to disagree there. You can pirate most books in the same way if you look hard enough.

What i meant wasn't the whole pirate thing with it, i just meant its way more convenient to download a whole TV-series in 5 minutes instead of waiting every week for a new episode at a certain time. But sure, it's also easier/cheaper to just download books too, and read on the ipad (or whatever) - same goes for comic books..
When i was younger i downloaded all my games too, nowadays i prefer to buy them.

@joxer; yes if subs doesn't exist for a certain language you dont speak then its a no go, of course.. i guess 90% of what i watch is in English or Swedish..

For god's sakes it's $10 for one month and don't prolong when it expires. No headaches and malware risks unlike those shady streams.
Oh Joxer I bet companies love you. Seems a lot of company's wants to make A TV streaming site, and when you add up the cost of each one it's not worth it.

Lets see we have DisneyFlix, MarvelFlix, and quite a few other gating movie content services. What a bleak future where free TV is dead and you pay for everything.:ahoy:

Oh Joxer I bet companies love you. Seems a lot of company's wants to make A TV streaming site, and when you add up the cost of each one it's not worth it.

Lets see we have DisneyFlix, MarvelFlix, and quite a few other gating movie content services. What a bleak future where free TV is dead and you pay for everything.:ahoy:
Is free tv really free? Especially in the US you have 5 minutes of tv and 15 minutes of advertising. Yes, I also rather have a unified service (for 10 dollars/month...), but see it as renting the full series, but cheaper. Of course, don't forget to cancel in time.

Is free tv really free? Especially in the US you have 5 minutes of tv and 15 minutes of advertising. Yes, I also rather have a unified service (for 10 dollars/month…), but see it as renting the full series, but cheaper. Of course, don't forget to cancel in time.
It's free but the price you pay is watching commercials that can get annoying. As for a universal service it's called cable or satellite tv they existed for many years already.

The problem with them you pay $100 or more for most content a month. So if a universal service that offers everything without gating opened for $50-60 a month I'm in.

I don't see that happening though as company's keep gating shows/movies only on certain services they own for more profit, and I see no end in site for the future.

*Also keep in mind I'm disabled and out of work for health reasons right now.So money is very tight, and extra spending on useless stuff is not an option for me.

…Thanks for that giant spoiler pic btw :( @joxer;

Gimme a break. It's there because something on it is predictable, you probably know what it is - but the pic itself is misleading as the ride is exactly what I wrote. A love letter to SyFy, begging of a sort, yet SyFy CEO's heart remained cold.
If I say more about this hidden messages pic, only then it'll be a giant spoiler. Watch the show.

Well, I just watched the pilot of Star Trek (Original) and it was certainly much better than TNG, for me. Although all of the things they saw must have looked completely ridiculous to the actors, they actually seemed immersed. I felt like the first few episodes of TNG, the actors looked like they would be bursting out in laughter after saying what they had said. (probably isn't the case, but it was cringe-worthy to me :) )

One of the great stories about the original pilot is Roddenberry was showing it at a Sci Fi con in 1965. Someone kept talking to a group in the crowd while the show was starting. Roddenberry stopped him and told him to be quiet. He was informed as he sat down that it was Isaac Asimov.

After the show Asimov came over and wanted to shake his hand he was so thrilled with it.

Which is funny. It was Asimov who I read pointed out clichees in Sci Fi (now called Tropes). The Menagerie was done at least twice on Twilight Zone.

Do yourself a huge favour and read the Expanse books, and perhaps watch the show afterwards. I've done both, at least through series three of the television show, and it pales to the novels.

It's free but the price you pay is watching commercials that can get annoying. As for a universal service it's called cable or satellite tv they existed for many years already.

The problem with them you pay $100 or more for most content a month. So if a universal service that offers everything without gating opened for $50-60 a month I'm in.

I don't see that happening though as company's keep gating shows/movies only on certain services they own for more profit, and I see no end in site for the future.

*Also keep in mind I'm disabled and out of work for health reasons right now.So money is very tight, and extra spending on useless stuff is not an option for me.

What I really hate is paying for 'Pay TV' such as Fox Sports/ESPN and then still having to sit through hours of commercials!!

What I really hate is paying for 'Pay TV' such as Fox Sports/ESPN and then still having to sit through hours of commercials!!
I feel your pain Corwin and agree with you.

Really how can it be a paid cable channel when it has commercials.:mad:

Just look at ELRay,SyFY,, and plenty of other channels, They make a two hour movie into three hours just to add commercials every fifteen to twenty minutes.

As for Sport games I sometimes wonder if the team just stands around during commercials? Joking aside they probably do as we never see footage of that.

Last edited:
I gave up watching TV nearly two decades ago. Couldn't handle the commercials - or the fact that I couldn't just pick what to watch.

These days, I'll gladly pay for something if it's worth it. Problem is, you don't always get to know whether something is worth it or not before you pay for it - and most things aren't.

So, I end up subscribing to a bunch of crap that I almost never use. I had Netflix for years and watched less than 24 hours of it. But I kept it mostly because my mother used my account :)

I take my revenge by downloading shows I'm curious about without the slightest hint of remorse, though.

S3 Supergirl episode Midvale made me happy. Now Smallville is officially part of the Arrowverse, although occuring on an alternate Earth naturally as
young Supergirl enlists the aid of Chloe Sullivan

Back
Top Bottom