|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Final Kickstarter Update

Default Divinity: Original Sin II - Final Kickstarter Update

August 30th, 2018, 19:36
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Gonna miss that music. Again.
Was just about to write the same!

I hope the next game will be something new. Like a good official D&D game or WH40K or or or.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

August 30th, 2018, 22:41
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Was just about to write the same!

I hope the next game will be something new. Like a good official D&D game or WH40K or or or.
One can dream, but I seriously doubt that will happen. Nor do I think they'll abandon the JRPG bloated numbers or the Diablo loot mechanics.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the hell out of their next RPG in spite of that though. As long as it's moddable.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1:

August 31st, 2018, 01:21
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Or continue the story from Divinity 2 and get back into 3D!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 31st, 2018, 03:38
Or continue the story from Divinity 2 and get back into 3D!
Exactly it has been many years since the ending cliffhanger.

loading…
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 31st, 2018, 08:31
I admit I do prefer the RTwP style the most along with combat in a game like Skyrim and FO … which I know others don't like but I do *shrug*.
You're not alone there Wolfgrimdark. I don't like turn based combat either. In fact, I hated the combat so much in DOS1 that I never finished the game.

So I've stayed away from DOS2 because of how much I hated the combat in the first game (it's turned me off turn based games for life!). But I'm getting really desperate for something new to play, and I've heard this game can be modded.

So does anybody know if it's possible to mod the combat/weapons so that I can kill everything in one hit? If I can do that, and bypass that dreadful combat, then I think I might get this game after all.

Cause everything I read about the game sounds wonderful! I just can't get past that appalling combat system.

Tiptoe

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 1st, 2018, 14:40
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
That's the end to the original game. The expansion's ending has everyone happy as they are watched over by a certain cat that's rather handy with web pages.

@Tiptoe, there might be a mod to make all the battles trivial. I did a quick search but didn't see anything. It could be my search-fu is too weak, though.

The older Divinity II game is live action plus it has more Bellegar, which is always a good thing. Here's part of a battle I fought.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Last edited by Zloth; September 1st, 2018 at 14:54.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 1st, 2018, 14:47
Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post
You're not alone there Wolfgrimdark. I don't like turn based combat either. In fact, I hated the combat so much in DOS1 that I never finished the game.

So I've stayed away from DOS2 because of how much I hated the combat in the first game (it's turned me off turn based games for life!). But I'm getting really desperate for something new to play, and I've heard this game can be modded.

So does anybody know if it's possible to mod the combat/weapons so that I can kill everything in one hit? If I can do that, and bypass that dreadful combat, then I think I might get this game after all.

Cause everything I read about the game sounds wonderful! I just can't get past that appalling combat system.
I know they are adding a "story mode" to the Definitive edition, which might be what you're after. Also, there is this mod, which claims to provide an ultra easy explorer mode.

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityor…ab=description
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

September 1st, 2018, 14:49
That's the end to the original game. The expansion's ending has everyone happy as they are watched over by a certain cat that's rather handy with web pages.
Yeah forgot it was changed but you still don't fight Damien at all.

He is still out there.
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; September 2nd, 2018 at 19:17.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 1st, 2018, 22:09
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
I should have just quit and cooled off but I was so annoyed, and frustrated, I deleted the game and the saves.
If we're ever going to be a couple, please remind me to never break up with you.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

September 1st, 2018, 22:31
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
If we're ever going to be a couple, please remind me to never break up with you.
Greatest comment of the day, thank you!

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 13:50
I'm still waiting for a physical Definitive Edition for the PC.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 14:49
I don't believe you will get a physical definitive edition for the pc. Certianly not as part of the kickstarter; but these days if they did sell a boxed pc version it would most likely just contain a manual, map and steam code.
--
Now if you don't have internet connection and want a disk version; you could try sending them mail and they might accommodate you in some fashion. They certainly did so in the early days - though these days i'm unsure if they would work with you. A lot has to do with who receives your message.

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 17:27
I downloaded it from steam. Keep in mind it's a whopping 26 more gigabytes in space compared to the old edition. That kinda sucks that its so much extra space, if you are like me and are already having low free hard drive space issues. My hard drive is jammed full now. (Too many games, and that take up too much hard drive space!)
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 17:36
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I downloaded it from steam. Keep in mind it's a whopping 26 more gigabytes in space compared to the old edition. That kinda sucks that its so much extra space, if you are like me and are already having low free hard drive space issues. My hard drive is jammed full now. (Too many games, and that take up too much hard drive space!)
This happens because developers don't fully compress their games anymore. I'm not kidding we have gone from 10GB to 50GB & sometimes a lot more for new releases.

It's mostly textures, music, and movies especially with JRPG ports.
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
You already said it better then I could.

As the console versions are the only way to get a physical release. I know that sucks, but that's pretty normal for most PC games nowadays. Though exceptions happen.
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; September 2nd, 2018 at 18:23.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

+1:

September 2nd, 2018, 18:22
Pretty much every game is using compressed assets. If you looked at a modern game in uncompressed form, it could take up terabytes. The assets can only be compressed with the standards that the hardware can deal with - textures have to be in compression formats that the GPU can deal with in real-time. Really heavy compression is extremely hardware intensive, and would have a major impact on the game.

Modern games just really are that big. I think it would be true to say that because disk space is not considered a big issue, not that much effort is put into addressing the problem. If it were, probably the industry would work together to improve things. For example, they pour a lot of effort into new video compression, to make big savings on bandwidth costs. But, there's not much individual studios can do to improve things without a big push towards new standards and hardware.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

September 2nd, 2018, 18:29
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Pretty much every game is using compressed assets. If you looked at a modern game in uncompressed form, it could take up terabytes. The assets can only be compressed with the standards that the hardware can deal with - textures have to be in compression formats that the GPU can deal with in real-time. Really heavy compression is extremely hardware intensive, and would have a major impact on the game.

Modern games just really are that big. I think it would be true to say that because disk space is not considered a big issue, not that much effort is put into addressing the problem. If it were, probably the industry would work together to improve things. For example, they pour a lot of effort into new video compression, to make big savings on bandwidth costs. But, there's not much individual studios can do to improve things without a big push towards new standards and hardware.
PC Gamer has an article about this problem.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/how-game-siz…t-even-bigger/

It's only going to get worse also. Cant wait for the first game to take 1TB.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

September 2nd, 2018, 18:37
Yep, sounds about right.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

September 2nd, 2018, 19:15

loading…
Gods damn it, now I want to restart for the…6th or 7th time is it? Is the story any good? I don't mind the spoilers.
I think I've always quit somewhere around 1st major area, clearing out trash mobs before dragon something something.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 19:38
H.265 is much better than h.264. For a modern article that stardock guy is behind hte times. Having said that the bulk of the issue is texture. The comment about jpeg is also very lame (very poor article) since there are very good compression technique that are lossless or nearly lossless.

I suspect the problem is how to un-compress the exture fast enough to load them when needed. I don't know factually that this is the issue but certainly it would require that most pc have fairly fast hardware esp at the higher resolutions ('fast' here is more than just cpu as you need adequate disk bandwidth). I think a console built to handle the specifics could do a better job than general pc just because the variance in perf will create real issues for some users. Load time is already fairly slow for some users and I don't know if the bottleneck is poor implementation, disk time or similar. Maybe one of these days i'll dwell into the specifics.
-
There is a catch-22 in my commetns because if you heavily compress the textures the amount of diskspace and therefore disk iops are both reduced but you still need to counter-weigh that by the time to uncompress the textures real-time. Also for mechanical disks the bulk of the cost for modest size files is seek and not actual read. I havne't really looked into the issue so i can't comment on authority on the crossover between compression cost and iop cost to say too much in a reasonable fashion other than list the issues that would require close examination.

PC Gamer has an article about this problem.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/how-game-siz…t-even-bigger/

It's only going to get worse also. Cant wait for the first game to take 1TB.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2018, 19:40
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Gods damn it, now I want to restart for the…6th or 7th time is it? Is the story any good? I don't mind the spoilers.
I think I've always quit somewhere around 1st major area, clearing out trash mobs before dragon something something.
The story's not bad but remember it's a different game from the new Original Sins. The only problem I had was once the toxic fog moved in the game fell in quality.

At least the expansion added more content, and redeemed the game. Anyways Larian Studios said they would make Divinity III someday, but it has been years.
--

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Final Kickstarter Update