|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

Default RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

October 17th, 2018, 19:47
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
As to why, I see regular attacks for mail accounts, so our mail server could be used for sending out spam mails.
I'm getting several "join the bitcoin money" spam mails - after a week or two with an odd almost absolute silence.
Sent by outlook.com , yahoo.com and googlemail.com accounts.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#521

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 18,199
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

October 18th, 2018, 12:58
It's easy to fake the address a mail was sent from. You need to check the actual headers of the e-mail to verify from which mail address they were really sent.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#522

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

October 18th, 2018, 19:06
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I'm getting several "join the bitcoin money" spam mails - after a week or two with an odd almost absolute silence.
Sent by outlook.com , yahoo.com and googlemail.com accounts.
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
It's easy to fake the address a mail was sent from. You need to check the actual headers of the e-mail to verify from which mail address they were really sent.
Its so frustrating when you get broken into and they take your contact list. They'll spoof you as their return address when sending it from another site and there's nothing you can do until enough people/sites flag you as spam - and hopefully they'll get the sender and not your address.

I think of it as a legacy problem with the internet as general - the return address should match the sender. I would like some consortium to come up with an email 2.0 that removed this option, but then I can think of some ways you would still need this.

Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I am not a star in analyzing log files, but I had the impression that the amount of attacks we had should not cause the site to stop functioning. It wasn’t a generic server issue as it had enough resources to work with and I could just log in as root. The only thing that happened was that 4 of the 8 threads we can run in parallel were at 100% causing PHP-FPM to stop functioning. I changed the configuration parameters and found a set that allowed the site to keep functioning even with all 8 threads at 100% and blocked some Lithuanian IPs in the process. That actually took more time than I thought as the way the documentation says it loads the various configuration files is not how it is implemented apparently. What was left at that moment was a brute force attack for a mysql injection from a single IP, which I blocked.

As to why, I see regular attacks for mail accounts, so our mail server could be used for sending out spam mails. I see about 100 tries a day to get direct access to the server and every now and then someone is doing brute force attacks to detect a mysql injection, which can also used to get access to the server. Up to now all without any success fortunately.

As far as the time it took to solve this, well I have a full-time job, so I could only work on it when I got home
You are still on MySQL? I had thought the vast majority of MySQL servers had switched over to MARIA by now.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#523

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

October 18th, 2018, 22:42
MariaDB does not by itself offer protection against sql injection, when you are executing queries. just like with MySQL you need to use wrapper functions that check the format of input.
Besides that MariaDB isn’t perse beter or worse than MySQL. It was forked from MySQL and although for a large part still compatible, there are differences and the differences between the two are increasing. The big plus for MariaDB is that it is FOSS and is not owned by a big company. mySQL is owned by Oracle and you can never be 100% sure that a free version is available for the duration. Then again you can’t be sure of a development team working on MariaDB forever either. The development team for MySQL is much larger than MariaDB, so it can be considered doubtful they will be able to keep MariaDB compatible for the new functionality added over time.
There are pros and cons for both, but I don’t consider MariaDB to be a must have and one being better than the other.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#524

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

October 27th, 2018, 00:23
Nice banner, @Myrthos, @Arhu or whoever made it

A pity it's not replicated all over the site.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#525

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

October 27th, 2018, 00:41
Thanks. It is an automated process and the banner is replicated for both the news and forums pages, but I think why it doesn’t necessarily show, is a caching issue. Your browser isn’t told there is a new image, so takes the old image from the cache.
A quick fix on you end would be to clear the cached files for RPGWatch in your browser.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#526

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

October 27th, 2018, 01:38
A CTRL + F5 fixed it for me

Another issue: whenever I try to acess indie.rpgwatch.com, I get

Error 526 Invalid SSL certificate

Any hints?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; October 27th, 2018 at 04:14.
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#527

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

October 27th, 2018, 12:19
Oh.. think I forgot to update that one.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#528

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

October 27th, 2018, 15:19
It totally brings Samhain to me mind every time I see it, well done indeed!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#529

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,714
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 9th, 2018, 07:43
This is an unusual question - is it possible to do dice rolls?

I was thinking of something like [dice=3d16][/dice] could generate a reply from a bot
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#530

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 9th, 2018, 12:06
7

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#531

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,020
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

Default 

November 9th, 2018, 14:12
I can't find a mod for it that is actually downloadable and also works on our version of the forums, so this doesn't look like it is happening in the short term.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#532

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

November 9th, 2018, 18:15
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I can't find a mod for it that is actually downloadable and also works on our version of the forums, so this doesn't look like it is happening in the short term.
OK thanks. Do you have a link to forum software you've been using? I've been curious to look under the hood lately.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#533

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 10th, 2018, 14:26
We use vBulletin. We also use an older version, 3.8
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#534

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 14:52
One of these days we will be moving to a new server. While preparing the new server I’ve also improved and increased the security, which will result in older browsers no longer functioning with RPGWatch. And old is really old as it includes anything before IE 9, Anything before Android 2.something and any gadget using Java 6 or earlier. Obviously this could also applies to older versions of Chrome, Firefox and others, but these are supposed to update automatically, so should cause no issue.

The Locus Inn has already moved (link at the very top) It is my first site that I don’t really maintain anymore, but it is still here because of nostalgia
If you can see that site, you are fine.

I don’t know when exactly the move will be, as there are still some site issues, because we also are also moving to PHP version 7.

Funny thing is that on an average day already now when it has not been made public yet, there are some 500 attempts to load pages that don’t exist (but are potential risky pages if they would exit and are not protected sufficiently) and there are some 600 attempts to log in on the server, all from various sources.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#535

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 16:57
You'll have to put a bunch of fake credit card information into one of those pages.

So I got a few notifications today about replies to my posts. I went to one but now there's no new ones. As near as I can tell, there's no way to get to the notification page unless there's new notifications! Is there any chance that notification text could be left up all the time and just say 0 when there's no new ones?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#536

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,787
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 17:24
@Zloth
Maybe this is what you are lokking for?:

Go to your profile page
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/member.php?u=1541
You’ll see:
Visitor Messages - About me - Statistics - Friends - Infractions - Contact info - Mentions - Quotes

Maybe what you are looking for is in either ‘Mentions’ or ‘Quotes’?
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#537

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 17:50
Also at the right top, below the banner and your name, there is a notification link. If you click on that it will give you a drop-down box for PMs, Mentions and Quotes.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#538

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 17:57
Which is only possible if you have notifications.
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#539

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

November 11th, 2018, 18:18
Ah right. I always leave at least one PM unread, so that it will always show.

The PM I can also read via the mail notification or I send a PM to myself
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#540

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,670
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:45.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch