Dragon Age: Inquisition - Available Now

Seriously, why do people feel the need all this back and forth to the where it becomes personable. I love banter, but really I am trying to read about peoples thoughts on the game.

I have 100's of people I have to deal with personally daily and a lot of them I don't care that much for. Though part of growing up is dealing with things and not taking them thinks so personally.

Really these are only games at the end of the day, a source of income for and for most of us a just a source of entertainment.

Why did you buy it without waiting to check all this stuff beforehand? Especially you, considering you have such strict personal rules on the things you don't like. And you hate EA (but buy all their games day one full price). Etc etc etc

Sucker for punishment?

Why did you buy it without waiting to check all this stuff beforehand? Especially you, considering you have such strict personal rules on the things you don't like. And you hate EA (but buy all their games day one full price). Etc etc etc
I bought the game, standard edition by my personal rules. Not horse armor. Not buying their bloody horse armor even if in the end they pay me to install that crap.
The other personal rule that says "no buy" is when someone offers a game and so called season pass. In such case I'm not buying that game nor that let's pretend we're on steam's early access scam. Why do I have to repeat things over and over? Read my previous posts. Those games that have chopped off things will not be on my machine till their price drops to max ten bucks. COMPLETE. Which means no matter how much I loved FarCry3, FC4… Not gonna buy till it's full and max 10€.

There is no my personal rule to avoid EA. If there was, hell, I wouldn't also buy Sims 4. And I still did.

I didn't know the game will be filled with grind of this size. No other Bioware game is, I don't remember if any (apart from JE) has endless respawns. So I assumed this one doesn't have it in. Seeing they've put it in was… A total letdown.
Said elsewhere in this thread, early game feels 8/10* - without horse armor.
Maybe with horse armor it's 10/10. I guess I'll never learn that and will die in misery.

Do I still hate EA? I do.
Stop mixing things. Emotions towards a scamming company is one thing, here I'm talking about one product. Not EA's business.

——————————————-
* I can't nor will say now that the game is definetly 8/10.
Early game is likeable, but it'd be silly to slap a number without seeing the rest of stuff this game offers. Maybe I'll go lower, so far there was only one puzzle. Instead of puzzles, they opted to give grind. I'm unsure if it'll stay that way till the end. If it does, the score from me will drop. Because if I wanted to grind, I'd buy DS. And I didn't.

Last edited:
haha this review :D
TesterTrent Nov 25, 2014
Score: 0
I don't generally care enough to write a review but the video "Dragon Age: Inquisition - Made for PC Gamers by PC Gamers" gave me so much hope for this game. Maybe there would finally be a worth successor to Dragon Age: Origins, possibly my favorite game of all time. Alas, the video was a blatant lie!

Starting off with the release bugs, endless loops of party members falling off the edge of the world to die over and over again, forcing you to reload. Party skills being used by the AI at such time you start to wonder if the Nightmare difficulty level only makes your party AI stupider than on other difficulties.

These bugs however, are nothing compared to EVERYTHING related to the tactical camera! First off a bug (which still hasn't been fixed) changing characters actually focuses the view onto that character. This makes every attempt to setup the otherwise horrible tactical camera pointless as it constantly resets.

Oh, yes horrible tactical camera and this isn't even a bug! It's the worst excuse for a tactical tool I've ever seen in a game, you can actually zoom out further when you're in third person mode.

Continuing into the tactical mode, this is where the game designers have outdone themselves compared to even DA:II. You can't queue abilities. Doing things which aren't skills, such as reviving or closing a rift (which you will do quite frequently) can't be done if you select another character during the action.

Actually! It rarely works even then, most of the time you have to switch into the "action mode" and hold down the mouse button being unable to do anything else while waiting for the seconds to pass. Doing this during an intense fight with high level enemies can easily wipe you out.

I say you can be wiped out, but that isn't really true, you can always run away from the fight with your last conscious character, your party will follow you by falling from the sky once their unconscious bodies have been left too far behind. Following this they will regain consciousness and you can generally heal up and return to the already weakened rift/enemy group.

Mob AI! Forgot this gem, if you just make your characters hold their ground, you can kill most melee enemies from a distance by just spamming your auto-attack from afar as they will not rush at you nor take cover. Not always true, but often enough for it to become annoying.

Moving on to the new healing system, it's not horrible after you get into it, but it does make playing the game on Nightmare rather tedious. Not often do you get through an encounter without losing some health. By making sure the only way you can heal is via the dumbed-down potion system, you are constantly forced back to the main camp to refill and then walk an empty path for minutes at a time.

Made for PC Gamers... Returning to this straight out lie, this is the worst PC port since Skyrim. Gone is the walk by clicking option, looting now forces you to painstakingly walk up to within a step of the loot, that is if you don't accidentally attack instead of loot. I swear I've spent 2 hours of my 30 hours in the game trying to get to the point where I can get at my loot.

Again returning to the tactical camera, would you like to interact with that rift? "Yes I would, very much so, I close rift at least a few times per hour." Well you CAN'T! Ok, you can but fidgeting around with the camera so that it looks up on the rift takes a minute and isn't possible it the ground around you is flat.

With that, let's return to the AI, I forgot to mention the way it moves while you're not giving it orders, not that you'll be giving it orders anymore a few hours in. Since it won't do what you tell it to anyway. What it will do, is suicide its way through every encounter. Armed with a crossbow, bow or staff? Why not head straight into melee range and get one-shot by this giant boss?

That reviewer seems to point out a lot of valid issues, but scoring the game a 0 removes any real credibility he might have otherwise had.

Also...

These bugs however, are nothing compared to EVERYTHING related to the tactical camera! First off a bug (which still hasn't been fixed) changing characters actually focuses the view onto that character. This makes every attempt to setup the otherwise horrible tactical camera pointless as it constantly resets.

Um… Isn't that pretty much how it's always been done?

changing characters actually focuses the view onto that character.

It's very clumsy as implemented here. Typically I want my three ranged attackers to all focus on one mob. I select one character, then laboriously move the camera across the battlefield to select the target (remember, the camera moves like an invisible person walking and must find a smooth, unblocked path). I select the next character, the camera snaps to him, and again I thread my way across the battlefield. And again for the third. I do this every time a mob goes down and I need to re-assign targets.

Last edited:
It's very clumsy as implemented here. Typically I want my three ranged attackers to all focus on one mob. I select one character, then laboriously move the camera across the battlefield to select the target (remember, the camera moves like an invisible person walking and must find a smooth, unblocked path). I select the next character, the camera snaps to him, and again I thread my way across the battlefield. And again for the third. I do this every time a mob goes down and I need to re-assign targets.

Yes, all of this. Combat system is driving me crazy.

Yikes, that is crazy! It was so easy in Baldur's Gate to use tactical combat, it's disappointing and a bit puzzling that they can't figure it out for their modern titles.

I completely agree about how poorly implemented the tactical camera is. The focus change is annoying and the camera is too zoomed in for my tastes. I've basically just abandoned using it, preferring to pause and use the action combat (which I'm also not a huge fan of).

So far been a pretty good game though. I enjoyed the Hinterlands, but my interest has faded doing some of the optional zones (desert & swamp). This is mostly due to exploration driven > story driven isn't my thing.

Wow, you guys are pretty forgiving.

Many posts go like this:

Negative, negative, negative, its still a good game.

Maybe its because I'm a combat first guy so these problems are really preventing me from using words like good or enjoying.

I think my suspicions have been confirmed. I said months ago that the tactical camera would be thrown in just to try and appease the older Bioware fans, and it wasn't going to be a primary focus. Seems to be true, as it's basically broken and not cared for at all by the developers.

But I'm a positive person, so I'll hope they learn from the release and do some patching to get things up to snuff. Come on, Bioware, you can do it! :)

Ah ok.. I had assumed targeting was as simple as clicking on the enemy you wish to attack. I can't understand why it wouldn't be that way.

I think my suspicions have been confirmed. I said months ago that the tactical camera would be thrown in just to try and appease the older Bioware fans, and it wasn't going to be a primary focus. Seems to be true, as it's basically broken and not cared for at all by the developers.

But I'm a positive person, so I'll hope they learn from the release and do some patching to get things up to snuff. Come on, Bioware, you can do it! :)

It definitely feels like that's the case. If they really wanted to go action then they just should have.

they should have made really good OTS action like Dark souls, lords of the fallen, the witcher 2 or even skyrim.

People still would have been upset but at least we would have 1 good combat system rather than 2 half baked ones.

Yeah that has to make a huge difference. I can't imagine being a big fan of this game if combat was a high priority for me.

Yep, kinda sucks for me because it sounds like there's some good stuff in the game if I can find a way to tolerate the combat to see it.

The refocusing of the tactical camera starts wearing me down, it really is a lot of herky-jerky back and forth. The thing should just stay there, hovering where I put it. Needs to be fixed. Make it an option, check a box, something.

That said, i do like the combat. I've had some pretty close, pitched battles w/ enemies several levels higher than me and pulled it off. Good times!

The healing mechanic, I'm kinda mixed on: part of me doesnt like something familiar, tried and true like that being taken away. However, just like playing an RTS without healers, it makes you play differently.

Yep, but it's apparently a bug in DAI and should be patched in the 2nd patch for the game (we are still waiting for it, I expect it to be rather large at this point).

Back
Top Bottom