What games are you playing now? - Page 697 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 8th, 2021, 18:04
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Well, it's just really, really good! I enjoy the exploration, where you send a mobile party to explore a huge, ever-changing map. You clear out skeleton tombs, hive nests, fight roving monster parties, get into unique and sometimes repeatable events (with different outcomes), go on quests and find interesting, new locations. Then you also do stuff at your home village, like craft new equipment, build your village with different buildings (that grant various buffs), gather resources. The combat is also a lot of fun, using a unique card-based system that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It has so much going for it, it really does.

It also has a great magical lore setting, sort of like a fantasy storybook. Very unique lore, too, not revamped but quite rare, interesting and new. In short, if any of that sounds interesting, you owe it to yourself to play the series, starting with the first game. It really is a massive and fantastic experience!
Everything sounds fun except the card game battles. Hmm. I guess I could watch some clips to see how they work. Thanks for a detailed reply!

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 8th, 2021, 18:49
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
Everything sounds fun except the card game battles. Hmm. I guess I could watch some clips to see how they work. Thanks for a detailed reply!
Anytime!

I was kinda iffy about the card battles too, but after playing them I started to really enjoy them! And now I also usually auto-battle 2 skull challenges or less to save time. Skulls range from 1-5 so anything 3 and higher I manually battle, the rest just get auto-won pretty much. You'll like it, the rest of the game is worth it.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
+1:

June 8th, 2021, 18:57
They completely changded the combat system between Thea 1&2, so you could watch a bit of each in action and see which you prefer. I preferred the system in 1 myself, but it's more of a "card game" than 2. The rest of the game is largely the same in how they play. And no, you don't have to have played 1 to play 2.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
+1:

June 8th, 2021, 19:11
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
They completely changded the combat system between Thea 1&2, so you could watch a bit of each in action and see which you prefer. I preferred the system in 1 myself, but it's more of a "card game" than 2. The rest of the game is largely the same in how they play. And no, you don't have to have played 1 to play 2.
I tried number 2 and it just didn't work for me. All the mechanics seemed better if looked at it in their own but they didn't seem to fit as well as in number 1.

Can't really explain it.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

June 8th, 2021, 20:06
Indeed. I was interested until I read the word "card battle". It's a big turn off for me.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 8th, 2021, 21:06
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
Indeed. I was interested until I read the word "card battle". It's a big turn off for me.
You could try it, like I did, and possibly get used to it and think it is cool, like I also did. I mean, your characters are represented as cards, so it's not *that* abstract a system. It's not like you're pulling Magic cards from a deck or anything, it's your characters and their abilities, equipment, etc.. Pretty cool stuff actually.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

June 8th, 2021, 22:26
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
You could try it, like I did, and possibly get used to it and think it is cool, like I also did. I mean, your characters are represented as cards, so it's not *that* abstract a system. It's not like you're pulling Magic cards from a deck or anything, it's your characters and their abilities, equipment, etc.. Pretty cool stuff actually.
I miss the time when most game had a free demo we could try. This year, I spent too much money on game I ended up not playing more than a few hours.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

June 8th, 2021, 23:47
I miss the time when most game had a free demo we could try. This year, I spent too much money on game I ended up not playing more than a few hours.
Did you look? Thea 2 does have a demo.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2021, 00:20
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Did you look? Thea 2 does have a demo.
Thanks for the info. I had assumed it didn't since it's so rare nowadays.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

June 9th, 2021, 02:39
Thanks for the info. I had assumed it didn't since it's so rare nowadays.
I found one for the first Thea also, but it's on Softpedia, it's a beta, and it's very (imo) buyer beware. I thought I'd point out its existence, but personally I'd stick with the official one for 2.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2021, 06:06
Cranked up Dying Light for a little bit yesterday. I haven't played it since 2016, and I wanted to see how well it holds up.

It still looks great on high settings, and the music and atmosphere are superb. It's the king of zombie apocalypse games.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 08:07
@JFarrell71 and @TheRealFluent and @Pladio

Thanks for your input on Thea! I'll try the demo of the second and see if I enjoy it.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 08:48
@JFarrell71 and @TheRealFluent and @Pladio

Thanks for your input on Thea! I'll try the demo of the second and see if I enjoy it.
No worries.
Hope you have fun.

Also, the first time or two it's very easy to lose. Don't get disheartened. Some of the systems are not always easy to get into.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
+1:

June 9th, 2021, 13:31
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Cranked up Dying Light for a little bit yesterday. I haven't played it since 2016, and I wanted to see how well it holds up.

It still looks great on high settings, and the music and atmosphere are superb. It's the king of zombie apocalypse games.
Would you kindly answer some doubts I asked you in this very thread (see the previous page)? Pretty please!!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; June 9th, 2021 at 13:44.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 18:48
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Tell me JDR13, I know you played Dying Light before, so please if you can, take your time to answer my doubts below:

How's the exploration part in the game? Is there enough exploration in the city? Can we enter buildings etc? Is it rewarding?

Can we fight toe-to-toe against the enemies/zombies or fighting is not recommended? How is the combat part?

Parkour…. Is it nicely done? Shall we "execute" a series of QTE events in order to properly do the parkour thing? My main concern is the parkour part, I don't know if I can do it right, and I'm afraid it will spoil my fun.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I missed this post earlier.

Exploration is a big part of the game. A lot of buildings can be entered, and you have to search them to scavenge for supplies.

Combat is solid, and yes you can go toe-to-toe against zombies, but there are often times when you'll have to flee, especially earlier in the game.

The parkour is maybe the best I've seen in a video game. It's very fluid, and there are no onscreen prompts. It becomes second nature after awhile.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 20:25
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Sorry, I missed this post earlier.

Exploration is a big part of the game. A lot of buildings can be entered, and you have to search them to scavenge for supplies.

Combat is solid, and yes you can go toe-to-toe against zombies, but there are often times when you'll have to flee, especially earlier in the game.

The parkour is maybe the best I've seen in a video game. It's very fluid, and there are no onscreen prompts. It becomes second nature after awhile.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you, JDR13!!

I'll let you know when I have other questions!!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 9th, 2021, 20:51
I refunded Dying Light because I couldn't do the parkour. However, I have pretty bad eyesight and my left hand isn't real accurate, due to some minor trembling. The only parkour I can do is the can't miss type like in newer AssCreeds.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 21:39
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I refunded Dying Light because I couldn't do the parkour. However, I have pretty bad eyesight and my left hand isn't real accurate, due to some minor trembling. The only parkour I can do is the can't miss type like in newer AssCreeds.
Funnily enough (or not) I am lefthanded when I'm writing but I can only use a mouse more precisely with my right hand. I can even play table tennis holding a racket in my right hand. But when writing and using tools like scissors, I can only use my left hand.

As for my legs, there is no way: when I was younger and I used to play football (context: I'm Brazilian so football here is a sport different from USA) I could only kick a ball with my left leg, in terms of precision and/or putting more or less potency in the kick.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 9th, 2021, 21:46
I'm the same, only the reverse, I write with my right hand but play cricket with my left and kick a football with the left boot. For cue sports, like pool and snooker I'm right handed.

There's a famous snooker player who plays with his right hand but then always switches to his left only when he plays rest shots.

Its not ambidextricity though, only with tennis I can use both to an extent. I'm sure there's a name for it.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)

June 9th, 2021, 22:31
Sounds like cross-dominance - where people tend to favour one side over the other in different circumstances, rather than equal facility in ambidexterity.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?