Starfield trailer

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Surprised no one posted this yet, but here's the trailer for Starfield that was released today or "leaked" if you want to believe that.

Who would claim that it's leaked? It was shown as part of Bethesda's presentation today at E3.

The implications of this trailer are interesting and potentially exciting. It seems that this game will be about the beginning of humankind's exploration of the stars and the "key to unlocking everything" referenced here is the key to interstellar space travel. As a member of Constellation, you're going to be one of those using that key to venture out much further than humanity previously has.

If true, that would mean that instead of plopping us into an established universe where offscreen actors have already done most of the discovering, which is how it works in pretty much every other RPG, as players WE will be doing the discovering, which sounds cool and novel to me.

It was apparently leaked a few hours ahead of the showcase. Not really significant imo.

I agree it seems like there's a lot of potential here. I just hope they don't overdo the use of procedural generation. I especially don't want a bunch of randomized sidequests like we had in FO4.

You beat me by four minutes. Still I had hoped it would be shown at E3 and be given a 2022 release date given the leaks this year. It's also a Microsoft exclusive.

Which means XBox, PC, and GamePass only.

Anyway I love Early Space Exploration and look forward to playing. I also don't think you will be the only actor or NPC though it would get boring fast. I foresee aliens incoming.

November 2022, FML that means the next TES is 2024 at the earliest.

I wish the trailer had actually shown something about the actual game besides hints and suggestions :p Ah well more to come I am sure.

I wish the trailer had actually shown something about the actual game besides hints and suggestions :p Ah well more to come I am sure.
Agree but Tod had to show something after all the various leaks this year. At least's it's more then that 2019 trailer. Frankly I'm surprised they showed in-game footage.

I'd take "in-game footage" with a grain of salt. They're using that term because the trailer was made with the game's engine, but I don't think we saw any actual gameplay there.

Todd's E3 corpo-waffle always grates on my nerves, but I like the general idea here. If they do it well, it could be terrific. Still wary that it will be some sort of game-as-a-service nonsense.

I'm going to do my very best not to go down the route I did with Cyberpunk 2077. I hope to virtually ignore its existence until the eve of its release.

It's ok. I know exactly how it begins:

yXmhtea.png

The implications of this trailer are interesting and potentially exciting. It seems that this game will be about the beginning of humankind's exploration of the stars and the "key to unlocking everything" referenced here is the key to interstellar space travel. As a member of Constellation, you're going to be one of those using that key to venture out much further than humanity previously has.

If true, that would mean that instead of plopping us into an established universe where offscreen actors have already done most of the discovering, which is how it works in pretty much every other RPG, as players WE will be doing the discovering, which sounds cool and novel to me.
Indeed, never thought about that. I tried hard to remember a game contradicting your statement, but failed.
I agree this might get interesting. However I would miss meeting humans when exploring. I hope some of the sentient aliens will be humanoids.

I hope some of the sentient aliens will be humanoids.
I don't hope so. Movies like Star Trek or games like Mass effect used humanoids only because humans in rubber masks are cheaper than modeling real aliens. There is no scientific reason to assume that in the real universe humanoid aliens exist.

There is no scientific reason to assume that in the real universe humanoid aliens exist.
Yep, you're obviously right.
But I like to interact with humanoids. So for the enjoyment of the game I like to suspend my disbelieve especially here if there is some more or less good explanation in lore. And tbh even if there is none. :)

Yep, you're obviously right.
But I like to interact with humanoids. So for the enjoyment of the game I like to suspend my disbelieve especially here if there is some more or less good explanation in lore. And tbh even if there is none. :)
They could also achieve this by meeting other (groups of) human explorers.

Indeed, never thought about that. I tried hard to remember a game contradicting your statement, but failed.

Starflight?

Granted, the Old Empire had been a presence long in the past, but as pretty much all its knowledge had subsequently been lost, Starflight very much transmitted that sensation of venturing out into the unknown galaxy.

I agree this might get interesting. However I would miss meeting humans when exploring. I hope some of the sentient aliens will be humanoids.

Thank you for this, truly. I posted a similar comment on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and had people telling me that Mass Effect: Andromeda already did this…. despite literally thousands of people from your galaxy getting there before your character.

I don't think I'd miss meeting humans at all. I wouldn't want there to not be sentient species I could interact with, but I would love for those species to be truly alien and not something I'm already familiar with.

Starflight?

Granted, the Old Empire had been a presence long in the past, but as pretty much all its knowledge had subsequently been lost, Starflight very much transmitted that sensation of venturing out into the unknown galaxy.

Not bad! As close as anything, I suppose, though I've never thought of Starflight as an RPG.

They could also achieve this by meeting other (groups of) human explorers.
Right. But I also like civilization, cities. Yeah, I'm nitpicky. :)

Starflight?
Never played that one...

Thank you for this, truly. I posted a similar comment on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and had people telling me that Mass Effect: Andromeda already did this…. despite literally thousands of people from your galaxy getting there before your character.
Yep, that was what I was thinking of. It din't really feel like the Pathfinder was the first one.

I don't think I'd miss meeting humans at all. I wouldn't want there to not be sentient species I could interact with, but I would love for those species to be truly alien and not something I'm already familiar with.
Why not both? :)

Starfield E3 2021 trailer was entirely in-game - DSO
At E3 2021, Bethesda presented the first trailer for its new space IP, Starfield. And, according to Bethesda's Senior Lighting Artist, Keith Beltramini, that trailer was entirely in-game without any cinematic tools.

Back
Top Bottom