ELEX 2 - Is Coming @ C4G

Don't get clung in the semantics. I just mentioned graphics and animations as a couple of things that are subpar, but a lot other things are, including the writing, the general "feeling" that the game is not polished, and a hundred little things more that you just feel as you play it. It feels off and wonky in general. If I can tell that from playing one hour certainly you guys who played 40+ won't be too biased to deny it.

That seems quite logical, but that argument gets low on breath, when, after those 40+ hours, you realise you had much more fun then with any comparable game in genre in long time. And then you find out there are many others who feel in similar way. Even without deep analysis it is clear the developer managed to find niche with audience that see real value in attributes of the game. To me it makes little sense to evaluate such game from mainstream point of view.

It's normal you think you're talking to walls @Nereida; when you ignore what people tell you…

It's different to ignore than taking into account but not giving validity to bad argumentation, which all has been addressed and debunked. Either way, I'm happy with you enjoying Elex and looking forward to Elex 2, which will surely be in as many game of the year lists as Elex 1 was.

I'll look forward to good games instead.

It's different to ignore than taking into account but not giving validity to bad argumentation, which all has been addressed and debunked. Either way, I'm happy with you enjoying Elex and looking forward to Elex 2, which will surely be in as many game of the year lists as Elex 1 was.

I'll look forward to good games instead.

There's no bad argumentation. You asked people what they liked about a game and you think you can debunk that. Obviously that's wrong.

People have told you many times they love the exploration elements. Then you say: "I debunk thee" and you think you're right.

People have said they love the progression. Then you say: "I don't" obviously, that's a great argument, especially having played for 1 hour.

People have said they like the game and think you are overegging any of the flaws, which are surpassed heavily by the pros for them.

You also seem to give a lot of credibility to reviews. I barely ever use review scores to judge games, because my tastes often differ from the general populace, which is what average reviews come down to.

The same is true for movies. The top 20 movies on IMDB are listed below.
From these, I can honestly say that I would not even dare to rate 6 of them in my top 20 or even 50 movies. Many of the others, I'd say are good, but may or may not be in top 20. But the general view is that they're some of the best movies of all time.

You'll have movie buffs explaining me how these movies are filmed in 8mm and in 16.7:10 ratio with this or that hue and saturation effects. I don't care about any of those things. What I care about is how much fun I find a movie.

Same goes for many PB games (I didn't like Risen 3 at all), they have some janky elements, but the amount of fun I have with those games, makes me forget those janky elements even exist.

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 9.2
2. The Godfather (1972) 9.1
3. The Godfather: Part II (1974) 9.0
4. The Dark Knight (2008) 9.0
5. 12 Angry Men (1957) 8.9
6. Schindler's List (1993) 8.9
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 8.9
8. Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.8
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 8.8
10. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 8.8
11. Fight Club (1999) 8.8
12. Forrest Gump (1994) 8.7
13. Inception (2010) 8.7
14. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 8.7
15. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.7
16. The Matrix (1999) 8.6
17. Goodfellas (1990) 8.6
18. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.6
19. Seven Samurai (1954) 8.6
20. Seven (1995)

I don't give much credibility to individual reviews, but they all combined create a "general" feel of how good something is. Again, I'm not arguing whether you can have fun or not with Elex, only that it is a mediocre game, as all that PB has pumped out for 15 years. I too have fun with mediocre games and movies, and I'm not insecure about accepting it or try to pull up random arguments to "explain" why they get scored badly, as if I needed validation to like whatever the hell I like.

I can also tell you that if Baldur's Gate 3 gets a 6.7 critic score in Metacritic, this place will be up in flames rather than trying to nitpick what little good tidbits are there to be found in a generally mediocre, unpolished game made by a studio without talent that belongs to ages past, such as is the case for Elex.

Well I can't stand mediocrity.
Bad movies at least I can ridicule, mediocre ones are plain boring and not fun.

What score BG3 will have, I don't care much. Apparently it won't have lootboxes so I won't be flaming.

The top 20 movies on IMDB are listed below.
From these, I can honestly say that I would not even dare to rate 6 of them in my top 20 or even 50 movies. Many of the others, I'd say are good, but may or may not be in top 20. But the general view is that they're some of the best movies of all time.
That there looks as some hollywood only top list with two exceptions (Leone and Kurosawa).
But it's not bad at all if you kick out the retarded Tolkien adaptation.
Without that atrocity, you have a nice list of movies everyone should watch before they die. Well, maybe not Forrest Gump, but it's still an acceptable title for sakes of general culture.

Of course those can not be just one person's best movies ever, not only tastes are different but I find it hard to believe many youngsters will rush on oldies like 12 Angry Men (although I have to admit that particular movie would probably go into my top20 of best movies ever made).

I think for people who are critical of PB, we'd love to be wrong and actually get something on par with Gothic 2, or even another Risen 1. But when the new stuff follows the formula but worse, it's just a waste of time.

Ask yourself, is that trailer (bunch of randoms bumping heads with each other despite many holding ranged weapons) really representative of the best of Gothic?

Let's be honest, key people have left PB. Let's be honest, this new trailer for Elex 2 is the definition of mediocre. The fanbase is carrying them despite their unimpressive effort, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I think for people who are critical of PB, we'd love to be wrong and actually get something on par with Gothic 2, or even another Risen 1. But when the new stuff follows the formula but worse, it's just a waste of time.

Ask yourself, is that trailer (bunch of randoms bumping heads with each other despite many holding ranged weapons) really representative of the best of Gothic?

Let's be honest, key people have left PB. Let's be honest, this new trailer for Elex 2 is the definition of mediocre. The fanbase is carrying them despite their unimpressive effort, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
I've got no clue since I don't actually watch trailers since they don't do much for games.

I had tons of fun with Elex, flaws and all. I'll probably get Elex 2. If it's not good then I would probably only get Elex 3 on a large sale.
I did the same for Risen 3 as Risen 2 wasn't so good for me.
Got Risen 3 for £3 or something.

Will give it another try, PB games usually require some initial investment before you are allowed to see whats hidden under the surface. This avid discussion made me wander if I really did that during my first attempt to get in the game (although I played significantly longer then 1 hour). Just arrived to Goliet, hmmm, who to join, that is a question …

A couple of suggestions for you to do with what you will.

First, enjoy the early parts of the game where everything is wickedly deadly. This is the part of the game where every incremental improvement is a lot of fun. So when you have to run or if you get one-shotted, this is the part of the game where gear and character improvements are the most satisfying, imho.

If you want to set yourself up to replay other factions in a future playthrough then do as many quests as you can with each faction without actually choosing a faction. When you've exhausted all the quests for each faction make a manual save game at that point. Then if you want, you can start a new game using that save and simply choose a faction to play without having to replay the early parts of the game. Of course, you may WANT to replay the entire game in which case ignore this.

I agree. However, most, if not all game trailers are terrible. Like PS3 Box Art, game trailers are just generally really REALLY bad.

A couple of suggestions for you to do with what you will.

First, enjoy the early parts of the game where everything is wickedly deadly. This is the part of the game where every incremental improvement is a lot of fun. So when you have to run or if you get one-shotted, this is the part of the game where gear and character improvements are the most satisfying, imho.

If you want to set yourself up to replay other factions in a future playthrough then do as many quests as you can with each faction without actually choosing a faction. When you've exhausted all the quests for each faction make a manual save game at that point. Then if you want, you can start a new game using that save and simply choose a faction to play without having to replay the early parts of the game. Of course, you may WANT to replay the entire game in which case ignore this.

I see Elex follows pattern that PB set already in G1 and 2. Good, I dont need another game following policy see-all-in-one-gameplay. I also like those slow beginnings the most, when everything unfolds before you step by step. After all, with best armor and best sword in hand, half of the motivation is gone. And thx for tips!

I see Elex follows pattern that PB set already in G1 and 2. Good, I dont need another game following policy see-all-in-one-gameplay. I also like those slow beginnings the most, when everything unfolds before you step by step. After all, with best armor and best sword in hand, half of the motivation is gone. And thx for tips!

If you join the Berzerkers, ignore all the stuff you'll find online about melee being underpowered and the ranged weapons being over powered. In my play through, melee was tough early on, but became plenty powerful about 2/3rds way through. I really enjoy the slow burn, I really don't like leveling fast or getting powerful fast when there is such a huge game world to explore. But the main point here is that you can absolutely finish this game playing a melee oriented character and NO it won't be a play through where you feel underpowered.

Back
Top Bottom