HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted a Kickstarter update for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous:

A special Valentine's Day update

Hello, Valentines!

Perhaps when you are marching into the Worldwound on a holy crusade, romantic relationships are the last thing you expect to find along the way. But you never know how close you might become with someone who likes killing demons as much as you do! So let's take a closer look at those comrades-in-arms who might be interested in getting to know their Commander better.

[...]
So they just confirmed some romance options for Wrath of the Righteous.

More information.

Not really a surprise as Kingmaker had romances as well. In fact it was done in a good way. As you had to earn the trust of each companion before the romance even started.

Almost similar how it was done in BG 1 &2.

They had already said there would be 6 possible romances (I think), so they finally settled for 7. What some are really interested in, though, is who ;) (which is funny, in a way, they'll take the target companion more often just because of that…)

It's neat they announced it today.

I'm wondering if Wenduag will have much success, brrr. Still, she should have a very good voice actor, if she's the same as Nyrissa (Amelia Tyler).

UPDATE: Mortismal Gaming has made a video out of it, for who prefers that format

Almost similar how it was done in BG 1 &2.
I was wondering if the gender was more taboo back then (ie. male must go with female), but I see it wasn't the case. Perhaps a tiny bit more conservative than now but not that much. Unless those I've seen were introduced later by Beamdog (obviously the one case in BG1, but I haven't checked BG2).

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Wenduag will have much success, brrr. Still, she should have a very good voice actor, if she's the same as Nyrissa (Amelia Tyler).!

Yes, I believe Wendaug is voiced by same VA as Nyrissa.

I was wondering if the gender was more taboo back then (ie. male must go with female), but I see it wasn't the case. Perhaps a tiny bit more conservative than now but not that much. Unless those I've seen were introduced later by Beamdog (obviously the one case in BG1, but I haven't checked BG2).

In original BG1, there was no romance (I heard there was 1 romance with a NPC in Tales of Sword Coast but I never experienced it).

In original BG2, there were 4 romance options - Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia for male PC, and just Anomen for female PC.

In original BG1, there was no romance (I heard there was 1 romance with a NPC in Tales of Sword Coast but I never experienced it).
You're correct, I wasn't very clear but that's what I meant :) Beamdog added romance in the Enhanced Edition - the only one I've played because I didn't have much time for games and completely missed that series when it was released (a shame). I think they've added 3 romance options in BG1, for their new companions only.

Well, I got my 1st romance dialogue with Lann last night (on Valentine's day lol) - let's see how that unfolds. Too bad Daeran's romance isn't in beta :(

I was super pleased to see this! Been waiting before I start the beta for something really new and fun.

Also I usually find the one I want to romance is not an option in 90% of the games I play so was so glad to see the one I wanted is an option for me - so major plus with this update.

I was super pleased to see this! Been waiting before I start the beta for something really new and fun.

Also I usually find the one I want to romance is not an option in 90% of the games I play so was so glad to see the one I wanted is an option for me - so major plus with this update.

Care to share which companion you are interested in? :D

I wish they could find some way to make game-romancing more interesting. I have almost always had a hard time really "feeling it" in games, unlike the romances in many books, tv-shows and movies.

Lol, maybe some kind of varied multiple-stage minigame system. Just to make it a bit more of a challenge than just simply picking conversation options. ;)

I wish they could find some way to make game-romancing more interesting. I have almost always had a hard time really "feeling it" in games, unlike the romances in many books, tv-shows and movies.

Lol, maybe some kind of varied multiple-stage minigame system. Just to make it a bit more of a challenge than just simply picking conversation options. ;)
Specific quests could help too. And a boost, perhaps?

Yes, character quests does help and gaining some boost with the romancing is usually a good motivation to pursue it.

Though I think that for the romance option itself to be really interesting, I'd either have to get to know the character far better than is usually the case in a game or the romance option and the specific character quest would be tied together so succeding in the character quest equals success with romance at the same time.

I dunno…like I said, I feel that game romancing is somehow lacking, though I'm uncertain what the best way to fix it would be.:)

EDIT: My thoughts about tying the romance to "mini-gaming", came from the fact that I'm currently playing "Yakuza 0" (first time I played a game in that series)

In that game you woo various ladies by mini-games such as: helping getting rid of a stalker, singing karaoke together, earning money for exclusive dining and dancing, performing various hobbies together etc. etc. At least, it changes things up a bit from just "conversation choices=romance". ;)

Last edited:
A bad comparison since it's an entirely different kind of game but in Cyberpunk you could go diving together. Now, what is more romantic than that? Go fishing? :p

If you feel it in books, shows, and movies, an interactivity apparently is not what you need.

If you feel it in books, shows, and movies, an interactivity apparently is not what you need.

To feel "The Romance In The Air"? No, I do not. Interactivity is not needed for that, only storytelling that really grips me and makes me experience that the character feels close to a real, living and (naturally) appealing person.

However, since I have not experienced much of that in videogames, simply making the "Process of Romancing" more of an entertaining task, might be an "acceptable substitute". ;)

I plan on my Tiefling corrupting the cleric with their wanton ways :p Nah the Cleric Sossiel but my Tiefling is a good soul :)

I plan on my Tiefling corrupting the cleric with their wanton ways :p Nah the Cleric Sossiel but my Tiefling is a good soul :)

Nice. I'm going to try out both Lann and Daeran throughout my multiple playthroughs.

Might even give Arueshalae romance a go - I heard some characters may have:

redemption/corruption paths

I usually like game romances when it adds to companion's personality/development. From what I've seen, all of WotR companions have vivid personality so can't wait to see how each of fhem will change :)

He'll keep us guessing ;)

My char is cleric, so would a romance really be appropriate? Hm… I'll have to read the fine print again :lol:

I'd recommend Arueshalae ;)

Wendu is a very divisive companion. Camellia is well loved but... she has her quirks. Not sure if Galfrey romance is in beta (she is also not really popular - for a just reason imo).

Or, you could just pick whoever you like the best ;)

I've never really been one for in-game romances. I don't find they add anything to my game, but I do understand why others may enjoy them.

I do follow one through once on a while to see how it goes, but it's never been something I look forward to.

I'd recommend Arueshalae ;)

Wendu is a very divisive companion. Camellia is well loved but... she has her quirks. Not sure if Galfrey romance is in beta (she is also not really popular - for a just reason imo).
Do you mean Arueshalae is less quirky than Camellia? That would say a lot :D

I've never really been one for in-game romances. I don't find they add anything to my game, but I do understand why others may enjoy them.

I do follow one through once on a while to see how it goes, but it's never been something I look forward to.
I've got mixed feelings. I'm not looking for romance at the expense of the decisions I'd normally make - or at least I'm trying not to ;)

If that's like Kingmaker, there is little impact and there's some fun to play along with it. But as @Feist; said, that's just dialogs to pick in order to make it happen, a few extra dialogs now and then as a result, and it quickly feels superficial.

If that's like Baldur's Gate 3, I feel I have to go too much out of my character's ideals to be sure to please the other (because there is only so much feedback they can implement to gauge the effect), but it feels more real since it goes beyond a few independent flirty dialogs to pick, you actually make game decisions which impact the story and the romance. A little bit like when you see the impact on alignment in dialogs [chaotic], [good], ..., and you sometimes choose according to your initial commitments rather than the natural response you'd like to select.

So it's probably a delicate balance to achieve, if they want to make it interesting but not constraining. There has to be enough commitment but also some flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom