Guild Wars 2 - End of Dragons Preview

Redglyph

proud GASP member
RPG Fan posted their first impressions of the upcoming expansion of Guild Wars 2.

A Hands-On Look at Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons

Guild Wars 2 is my favorite MMO of all time, and after a guided preview of the upcoming End of Dragons expansion, I'm happy to say that the future looks bright for fans of ArenaNet's MMO.

My look at the expansion began in the Echovald Wilds, a dark forest filled with formerly petrified nature mixed with man-made technologies and structures. The Echovald Wilds is at the center of the battle between three warring factions that want to control the region of Cantha. While exploring the map I witnessed the conflict between the Jade Brotherhood, a gang of tinkerers that love jade technology, and the Speakers, a rival gang that opposes the Jade Brotherhood's experiments and developments. The Kestrels, a third faction, act as a peacekeeping organization that aims to minimize the damage done by the gang war going on in the region.

The aesthetic of the maps in End of Dragons reflects their conflict, with the natural plant life and ancient structures of the Echovald juxtaposed against imposing laboratories and jade technology. The bright greens and purples help set the maps apart from other technology-covered maps, like those in the Asura starting area.

When End of Dragons releases, players will have the opportunity to work with all three of the region's factions in events, renown hearts, and instanced content.

[...]

As a long-time Guild Wars 2 fan, I was concerned that End of Dragons might have trouble changing up the formula as much as previous expansions did. Heart of Thorns brought us gliding, Path of Fire brought us mounts; would a two-person mount and skiffs be enough to freshen things up? I'm happy to say that while the new changes don't completely change the formula, all of them are fun. The new elite specializations are a blast, fishing is a great pastime, and the maps look like some of the most interesting to explore and learn about. I can't wait to see everything else End of Dragons has to offer when it releases in February 2022.
More information.

A bit of complaining - don't read if you are sensitive:
GW2 was great before FtP, but still there was something unfriendly in their team. It wasn't free game, still all my lowbies were spammed in starting areas by tells from goldsellers. So I reported it every time someone bothered me and the next day I got reply from their programmer that if I will ever report another goldseller I will get banned, because he is not interested in my spam. It was never really fixed - I had to disable tells generally.
So I maybe the fact that GW2 had the most horrifying endgame zones with instant CCs on the side of mobs and constant class imbalance was the same way "unfriendly".

Such a great game, beautiful art design, funny quests in starting zones, but I think the lead designer responsible for "hearts" left shortly after the MMO was released, so they never continued in his quite innovative and friendly game systems (if it was really his idea - I don't know).
And when someone was complaining about certain imbalanced classes which kept dying to ordinary mobs basically beaten to death with no possible imput, because they didn't have CC immunity and only a few skills with long CD, he was always attacked on forums by "friendly community" - why always that kind of community consider themselves as the most friendly?

I never bought any expansions, but I have heard it was mixed there aswell.
On the other hand this is such a typical problem of MMOs and one of the reasons why MMOs are dying IMO.

@Dafela; That rings a bell, perhaps you mentioned that in an MMO thread here not too long ago? That's good to keep in mind as a warning.

I'll keep that in mind for the news next time; I'm not sure how far we go with ethics but I would personally have a hard time promoting a questionable game or company.

No, they are not questionable. It did happen long time ago. And their CEO even tried to save GW2, so I don't know how well it went. For me it is just MMO reality. Sometimes there are features you have to swallow because of majority, sometimes there are questionable decisions you can only guess why it was made. And that is why it is hard to be fan of MMOs. Also I'm not the most reliable source of informations, because sometimes I just misunderstand what was the point.
Maybe I shouldn't write this, if it is not really actual. And the combat - maybe they changed it or maybe the champion points or how it was called there allowed you to deal with overdone CCs with stunlocks, I don't know. I guess I will just make fans of GW2 angry.
I just wish MMO managers and devs would understand how it does feel to be player of MMO. If something is annoying - in MMOs it is super annoying, because you play it regulary. After watching Asmongold video about WoW I realized that it is not about making everything easy, it is about making it fair and fun and also I would add - count with lag. Sometimes they try to make challenging combat and the lag will make it unbearable. I had the feeling that they added in some MMOs global cds on skills, that will make every combat with bad temp.
So I prefer old MMOs with more strategic skills like old LOTRO, because you can base the challenge on those skills and not laggy reactions.

Well I had to register to post this, but I think it is worth it.

I think there have been some major changes to the game that have happened since July.
Colin Johanson, the previous game director, came back to ArenaNet. He worked on the original GuildWars game and left around 2016.

There is a blog post that explains that basically they are trying to get talent back in and make positive changes to the company:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-july-2021/

Concerning gold seller spam: I've been back in the game since about a month ago, trying to complete the Path of Fire expansion. I've received 0 tells about gold.

Concerning crowd control & lag: They have been working on this. There are mechanisms in the game to deal with CC and if you do not use them (i.e. stability) then you are at a disadvantage.

In general since I logged in a month ago the game seems very mature and fun. Some of the graphics are outdated but then you go to the newer zones and things look better.

World vs World is toxic; I got kicked out for not being on a voice discord channel. But that makes sense as all of our opponents are on voice-comms.

p.s. everything is subjective but when you see a studio hiring back talent that left, that is always positive

Thanks for an update. I shouldn't write "never" I should write "never when I was playing the game" which is a long time ago, but I assume that things shifted with the base game becoming free to play. Also that wasn't only GW2 problem, SWTOR does have a lot of gold sellers spam via in game mail and there is no way to disable mails or atleast from people not on your friendlist or in your guild. So you have a feeling it is tolerated. So that is why for me it was just another MMO experience.

I have found this wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stability and there is written that a lot of weapons gained stacks of stability, which could help a lot, also some unlockable passives. What I remember it used to be active skills mainly and some passive with Palladin class.

What I was missing from other MMOs was stability (or CC immunity) when something stuns you - when stun ends, there is ususally a few secs to regain senses and those mobs in GW2, like trolls, did not have cooldown on CC skills, so it could happen that you meet 3 trolls while out of resources and skills on cd and you will not recover, because all of them will spam kick skill. But now you have higher chances I guess.

That is another thing from MMOs - the feedback is very limited, because it seems like devs don't believe ordinary players their experience, they view them as bad players and they are silenced on forums. That is why I came to conclussion that you will have such skeletons in closet in an MMO if managers don't play the game or don't have ordinary players giving them feedback. They have to be fans of that MMO. Because there are things which are not possible to share or you shouldn't do that to your playerbase.
Another problem is that MMO devs are probably badly paid and overworked, so that does add to the problem maybe.
Anyway I should stop playing them if I have to think about it so much.

Here is that video with Asmongold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhojWVjPnZE
he is a long time youtuber with a lot of players commenting about their MMO experience (mainly WoW) and I would say it is correct.

Back
Top Bottom