Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I tend to just send news on games I like though. I don't prowl through tons of sites :D

The difficult part is reporting games you don't like much, made me sometimes feel like a fraud. I have no idea how freelance "professional" critics put up with it when they have to write entire reviews. No wonder some are biased. ;)

The difficult part is reporting games you don't like much, made me sometimes feel like a fraud. I have no idea how freelance "professional" critics put up with it when they have to write entire reviews. No wonder some are biased. ;)
Yeah I don't get it either. I assume Couch posts news he finds interesting.

I do a bit of both as most know I hate Soul-clones but still share news on them. The key to being a good news-poster though is sharing news equally even news you hate.

Alright now time for a huge update of video's and articles.

Salt and Sacrifice Review: Is it Worth It? Should You Play it?

In this Salt and Sacrifice Review, we'l be talking about the new 2D Soulslike game developed and published by Ska Studios, makers of one of our favorite 2D games of all time, Salt and Sanctuary.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Official Mystery of Malzeno Trailer

Check out the latest Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak trailer to see some of the threats that await in this upcoming expansion.
IGN's Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising Review

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising reviewed on PC by Henry Stockdale. Narrated by Daemon Hatfield. Also available on Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch.
Mass Effect 5: Shepard's Return Accidentally Teased?

A product description for a Mass Effect poster may have given away a key plot detail for the next Mass Effect game. It has since been changed, but that hasn't stopped fans from speculating whether or not the slip-up was an accident written by someone with no knowledge of the next game, or if this was our first detail of the new story.

EA announces Lord of the Rings: Heroes of Middle-earth for Mobile Devices - RPGSite
Electronic Arts has announced a partnership with Middle-earth Enterprises for The Lord of the Rings: Heroes of Middle-earth, a new mobile RPG based on the popular Tolkien literary works. Described as a 'Collectible Role-Playing Game', Heroes of Middle-earth is a free-to-play title in development at EA's Captial Games studio, who previously released Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. The game promises a "strategic, social-competitive experience" and features "immersive storytelling, turn-based combat, deep collection systems, and a wide roster of characters". No release date information or footage of the game has yet been revealed.
The Iron Oath Interview with Chris Wingard and Nik Mueller - TBL
Chris Wingard and Nik Mueller developers of The Iron Oath have been working in the industry for quite some years now, but do not really have a list of games they have previously worked on professionally. Indeed, the turn-based strategy game is actually their first. So, let us go and ask them how was the experience and what happened with their 2017 Kickstarter.
5 reasons to be excited for Bethesda's Starfield - PCInvasion
Starfield is the latest open-world RPG coming from Bethesda Game Studios, and it has a lot of expectations to live up to. It's the company' first original RPG in 25 years, and not everyone is equally as hyped about it. Some gamers are excited about Starfield being an original sci-fi RPG from Bethesda, the studio behind Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. On the other hand, some gamers are more skeptical given how little has been shown, and that the studio's last game was the disappointing Fallout 76.

Thankfully, Bethesda has been providing interviews, blog posts, and more to provide a better understanding of the game before its inevitable blow-out this summer. These are just five of the things that have us most excited about Starfield.
Arkane's Prey Shows Why Immersive Sims and Horror Work Together - BD
When watching a horror movie, you often find yourself shouting at the screen for the characters to not go into the basement, or judging them afterward for not picking up the ax before going down the hallway. Much of the thrill of playing a horror game is putting you in control of that panicking character, letting you decide how to survive. The problem with some video games though is that they can have a limited set of verbs, not allowing you to do what feels natural. The immersive sim genre, exemplified by games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2, is all about creating a specific set of systems and allowing players to mess around with them in nearly any way they can think of. Five years after its release, Arkane Austins Prey remains one of the finest combinations of immersive sim and survival horror, creating a unique experience that's unmatched to this day.
Why Do Modern MMOs Feel So Different Than Old School Ones? - MMORPG
What I'm about to say is going to make me sound like one of those old-school MMOers who is stuck in the past, but it has to be said, so here goes. Modern-day MMORPGs just don' feel the same as old-school MMOs. Hear me out before passing judgment, though. I'm not suggesting that old-school MMOs are better than modern MMOs Im not saying that tab targeting is better than action-based combat, or that the holy trinity of a tank, DPS, and healer make a better party than a group of self-sufficient characters.
Steam Antitrust Case Moves Forward - Bloomberg
Valve Corp. must face antitrust litigation over claims that “most favored nation” policies for its Steam distribution platform have driven up video game prices across the industry, a federal judge in Seattle ruled.

Judge John C. Coughenour let part of the case move forward in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, saying it’s plausible Valve exploits its market dominance to threaten and retaliate against developers that sell games for less through other retailers or platforms.
The company “allegedly enforces this regime through a combination of written and unwritten rules” imposing its own conditions on how even “non-Steam-enabled games are sold and priced,” Coughenour wrote. “These allegations are sufficient to plausibly allege unlawful conduct.”

The May 6 decision hands a win to the consumers and game publishers leading the proposed class action after the judge twice issued preliminary rulings in Valve’s favor.

Last edited:
Arkane's Prey Shows Why Immersive Sims and Horror Work Together - BD

Unfortunately, it didn't work too well from a sales standpoint.

Good article. I think Prey is a fantastic game, and it's criminal that it didn't sell enough to warrant a sequel.

I was one of the first who reported about Stardew Valley, but I never expected that it would be such a hit.

This is more than 15 years after Animal Crossing was a hit on the GameCube no? They aren't identical of course but close enough.

Well in-case you missed the discord update here it is for the site as well.

Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia Released - Steam

The continent of Runersia is home to six major powers with more than 40 bases, 100 knights, and 50 types of monsters. Select a ruler, organize knights and monsters into troops, and conquer enemy bases!
Vampire: The Masquerade Swansong Interactive Video

With the police closing in, guide Galeb through this challenging situation, making use of his powers and, for better or worse, changing the balance of power in the city.
Flintlock: Behind the Scenes - A Rich World

Take a look at the making-of Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn as A44 Games pull back the curtain on what it takes to build a world worthy of the gods. Join Art Director, Robert Bruce, and Principal Environment Artist, Steven Chen, as they share details of the rich and vibrant backdrop to the upcoming action-RPG.

EA Teases Four Games in 2023 Including a New Remake and Major IP

Electronic Arts offered its investors a sneak peek at what it's got cooking for EA 2023 today during its earnings report, including a planned "major IP" as well as an unannounced "remake."
The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle - Official Tales of Tribute and Brahgas

Billy Boyd will join The Elder Scrolls Online as the voice of Brahgas, an NPC that introduces players to the Tales of Tribute card game. This card game will be launching as part of the upcoming ESO High Isle chapter. In this new trailer, we get a brief behind-the-scenes look at Billy Boyd performing some of Brahgas' voice lines and meet Brahgas, a confident gambler who's all in on the Tales of Tribute card game.
The First 18 Minutes of Salt and Sacrifice

Check out the first 18 minutes of Salt and Sacrifice gameplay. Salt and Sacrifice is the follow-up to 2016's Salt and Sanctuary, which was one of the premier 2D souls likes. This video covers the tutorial, along with the first Named Mage hunt against the Pyromancer boss.
Monster Hunter Digital Event - May 2022

Discover all-new gameplay info, monster reveals and more, in the Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Digital Event - May 2022!

The Last Pile of Thoughts About Elden Ring, Promise - Jeff Vogel
I've already written about Elden Ring. It's such a big, unique, popular game that not picking it apart a bit is game-writer malpractice.

Even if you hate From Software games, and many do, if you care about game design as an art, it's worth a good look. It's such a big, successful title, with so much strangeness, that there's a lot to learn. Even its mistakes are fascinating.
Darkest Dungeon II - Hero Paths: The Occultist
The Warlock path takes advantage of the Occultist’s ability to wield occult energies, allowing him to keep his distance from enemies while dealing increased damage. However, he must be wary of any incoming ranged attacks, as his focus on conjurations tax his health.

6 Square Enix Sold IPs We Want To See From Embracer Group - Techraptor
With so much potential waiting in the bundle of Square Enix sold IPs now in the hands of Embracer Group, we've put together this list of some of the game's we'd like to see come out of this situation.
The Wheel of Time Review - Techraptor
Overall, The Wheel of Time comes out very much in credit as a game, despite some shortcomings due to its age. Sure, it’s not an FPS with top-notch gunplay, but it’s interesting to have a shooter with weapon variety outside of “gun” and “gun that shoots fast” or “big gun that goes boom when you pull the trigger.” That aside, the story isn’t massively interesting, and the extraneous issues caused by the age of the game make it tough to recommend to anyone outside of hardcore fans of the novels, or folks who are super into retro games from this time period. Even then, you’ll need to be a very specific niche of classic FPS fan to get really into this.
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising Review - Techraptor
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising does exactly what it should. It provides a pretty and satisfying backdrop to a world I can't wait to explore but also doesn't give me quite enough depth to watch the same characters and story unfold. It adds to a general ethos but I won't be too let down when I have to take over with a whole new cast of characters. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is the perfect companion piece to a game that I'm sure will be much better.

Why Do Modern MMOs Feel So Different Than Old School Ones? -
- MMOROG

Modern MMOs Lack Individuality
- agreed

Modern MMOs Have Faster Leveling
- agreed

Modern MMOs Backload The Grind
- agreed

Now, instead of slowly building up a resistance to the grindy nature of MMOs, you hit the end game grind with minimal investment.
- agreed

The Mystery Is Gone From Modern MMOs
- VERY MUCH AGREED

Modern MMOs Lack Community
- partially agreed

Hybrid RPG Songs of Conquest now available in early access on PC - Steam

You Now Play the Fallout 3 Remake With the Point Lookout DLC

Today we play the Fallout 3 remake mod, otherwise known as Fallout 4 The Capital Wasteland. The mod has an ongoing beta phase for its point lookout DLC and in this video I go over my experience and first impressions with it.
Elden Ring surpasses 13.4 million units sold Worldwide - RPGSite
Within its financial results briefing for the full fiscal year, Bandai Namco has announced [PDF] that Elden Ring has surpassed 13.4 million sold worldwide.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Lost Valley Impression - RPGamer
This full-length adventure gives fans of Solasta: Crown of the Magister a fabulous reason to try out a new party composition on a fresh journey. While the campaign of Lost Valley does not have quite the length and amount of dialogue as the main game, it has all of the other features including guild reputations, crafting, multiple locations, new environments, and plenty to explore. The writing falls a bit short and feels a bit rushed. However, it provides enough incentive to continue to move forward and see how events ultimately unfold. While it sadly does not raise the level cap or add any new classes, the sub-class additions, fresh monsters, and the exciting new campaign more than make up for this oversight. Those who enjoyed Solasta: Crown of the Magister should purchase this DLC without hesitation.

Diablo III Turns 10 - Blizzard
Exactly 10 years ago today, brave Nephalem arrived in the town of New Tristram to investigate a falling star. This discovery would give way to a divine ally and a quest to stop a sinister plot to destroy Sanctuary and the High Heavens. Even after the final blow was struck, and Diablo defeated, these same valiant Nephalem continued to protect those in need. We and Sanctuary �thank you for your decade-worth of valor, dedication, and your vanquishing of endless nightmarish threats to have been birthed by the Burning Hells.
Phil Spencer Responds To Starfield and Redfall Delay - IGN
These decisions are hard on teams making the games & our fans. While I fully support giving teams time to release these great games when they are ready, we hear the feedback. Delivering quality & consistency is expected, we will continue to work to better meet those expectations.
So Much For Video Game Release Dates - Kotaku
Bethesda's open world space RPG Starfield is the latest major 2022 release to slip to next year. But will it be the last? Probably not. So who's next? God of War Ragnark? Bayonetta 3? Gotham Knights? This fall, traditionally the biggest release season of the year, remains an almost entirely blank slate, and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.
Diablo Immortal - Zone Preview: Realm of Damnation
Diablo Immortal's launch storyline sends you racing after the cataclysmic shards of the Worldstone, the artifact used to create Sanctuary. After you've explored frozen wastes and festering swamps and cemeteries choked with the risen dead, your quest will take you somewhere people who played the Closed Beta haven't seen yet
SKALD: Against the Black Priory - May 2022 Project Update
The teaser is a wrap! You’ll have to wait a bit more for it as we’re saving it for a festival this summer!

It’s a bit of a challenge to find a format that does justice to the crisp pixel-art of Skald and I think we’re getting very close to cracking the code in this teaser. I can’t wait to show it off and hope you like it. A big thanks to Sarah Gonidec and Roland Smedberg for all their hard work and endless patience!

The new demo will be out in mid June if all goes according to plan! The aim is to polish the game-systems as much as possible so that the demo represents the final game as much as possible in as many areas as possible

Skald is really coming along nicely!

Vampire: The Masquerade Swansong Leysha Character Spotlight

Leysha is a seeress, with a reputation within the Boston court for being able to see the future. But the thing she's trying to recall is her past. The years have not been kind to her but provided she has her daughter Halsey, then nothing can stop her.
Weird West Developers React Livestream

Welcome to our Weird West Developers React Stream with host Community Manager Alex, Creative Director Raf Colantonio and and Lead Systems Designer Gael Giraudeau aka GaGzZz.
Elden Ring Outsells Call of Duty and Every Other 2021 Game in US

Elden Ring is now the best selling game of the last year crushing sales numbers of Call of Duty: Vanguard and Resident Evil Village.
Achilles: Legends Untold now available on Steam in Early Access - Steam

Dark Point Games first game Achilles: Legends Untold is launching into Early Access today. The game features isometric gameplay with a strong focus on skill based combat and an in-house built AI system (GAIA) that allows for smart and collaborative enemy behavior that will challenge the player during their journey across Greece and the Underworld.

For players that are looking for a more cooperative experience, Achilles: Legends Untold features an additional co-op mode to challenge Ancient Greece's more fearsome monsters with a friend.

During Early Access, Dark Point Games is committed to regularly update Achilles: Legends Untold with new features, bosses and dungeons.

Path of Exile Sentinel Expansion Launches - Grinding Gear Games

In Path of Exile: Sentinel, ancient constructs have been unearthed across Wraeclast. You will harness the power of these Sentinels to control your level of risk and reward on the battlefield.

Our May expansion contains the Sentinel challenge league, 20 Atlas keystone passives, seven uber boss fights, new pinnacle unique items, revamped monster modifiers, game controller support, new quality of life features, a revamped challenge system and much more.
Dolmen The Sci-Fi Soulslike Q&A - WCCftech
Following the recent hands-on we had at PAX East and ahead of next week's launch date, we chatted with Kiev Martins, Producer on Dolmen at Massive Work Studio. In our in-depth interview, we touched upon many game related aspects such as game length, combat balance and co-op functionality, next-gen console specs, and we also confirmed that Dolmen will be the first game to support all three upscaling technologies on PC: AMD FSR (though only version 1.0 at first), NVIDIA DLSS, and Intel XeSS. It also features ray tracing support on both PC and next-gen consoles.
The Last Oricru - Nomination for Best Indie Game at PAX East
To be Nominated means a lot to us as this is our first game as a team and the feedback we have received has been so positive and lovely! We can't thankyou enough for your continued support.
Dragon Age Origins gets another Texture Mod Pack
According to the modder, the purpose of this mod is to make Dragon Age Origins look a little less dated, while still maintaining its memorable style and feeling.

You can download this mod from here. Do note that this unofficial remaster requires Large Address Aware to function (which you can download from here).

Back
Top Bottom