RPGWatch Feature - Kenshi Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Kenshi Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Kenshi Review

April 2nd, 2019, 13:13
Forgottenlor has penned down his thoughts about Kenshi, after spending quite some time with this sandbox game.

My character was an insect drone. For some reason he was expelled from the hive into the harsh world of Kenshi. There he started his new life in a borderland town run by the trade ninjas. But he came with a plan. After all, his people were diligent workers. First, he started mining ore, then he began to weave clothing. With his profits he hired bodyguards so he could transport his goods to the nearby city of Stack. He became an armorer, then assembled a team of warriors to help him travel the world he once feared. He found abandoned factories, ninja towers, ruined libraries, fearsome beak creatures, fire storms, slavers, dangerous robots, and terrible outlaws. Kenshi is a sandbox rpg in an extremely unusual setting. It gives you many paths to success, but no set one. There is no main quest. No real story. Kenshi is a game for players who can get into its world and define their own goals.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 13:41
Thanks @forgottenlor for this very detailed review.
The game is obviously not for me (no story).
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 13:47
While being directed to the Codex the other day in another thread about another open world survival game, I checked out their thread on this as well, curious to see how the survival trend is escalating.

It seems this game is hugely popular over there as this game is one of those games that allows you to simulate your inner genocidal maniac & most of the posts are screenshots of piles upon piles of dead humans & discussing the myriad ways you can kill ever more humans ad-infinitum.

If that helps anyone decide whether it's their thing or not.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 14:20
LOL
So it's lazy undertaker sim.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 14:57
Another one that I plan on delving into sometime later this year. Thanks for the fine, extensive review!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 15:36
Kenshi can be most anything you want it to be. If you're of a mind to create a pile of bodies, that is easy enough, as well as playing as a peaceful city of trading robots, though you will have to defend yourself…or hire others to do it.

Nice review, Forgottenlor. Even handed and accurate.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 15:39
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Kenshi can be most anything you want it to be.
Could it be an RPG if I wanted it to be?

*smirks then runs away*

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 18:06
Thanks Forgottenlor for such an in depth review, keep up the good work.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 19:45
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
While being directed to the Codex the other day in another thread about another open world survival game, I checked out their thread on this as well, curious to see how the survival trend is escalating.

It seems this game is hugely popular over there as this game is one of those games that allows you to simulate your inner genocidal maniac & most of the posts are screenshots of piles upon piles of dead humans & discussing the myriad ways you can kill ever more humans ad-infinitum.

If that helps anyone decide whether it's their thing or not.
An unfortunate reminder of why I don't particularly like to visit the codex. There are some good reviewers there, but also some real sociopaths.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
+1:

April 2nd, 2019, 20:29
Those graphics are really bad. Talk about lifeless and drab. And I'm someone who loves desert settings, but definitely not this one. The desert should be way more colorful and interesting than this brownish-grey drab landscape of nothing. The review is too kind in this department. These kinds of graphics ruin the whole atmosphere and the setting from my perspective.

Anyway, sounds like if you can overlook the dreary graphics then it has some game play, but this game is a "hard pass" for me.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 20:45
Thanks forgottenlor - I have linked the review to the RPGWatch Steam Curator.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 21:03
Well, spoilers below.

There is a minor faction of very powerful genocidal robots, run by a madman.

Spoiler

And that is just one minor faction.

BTW, I am exactly on day 30 of playing this crack-game non-stop whenever I have time.

BlackVoid

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 2nd, 2019, 21:15
One of the best games I've ever played. Morrowind meets Mount & Blade or something. Very unique and crazy, loved it, played it for 200 hours and barely scratched the surface! Highly recommended if you want something a bit unique, different, and somewhat hardcore.
Last edited by TheRealFluent; April 3rd, 2019 at 02:29.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2019, 01:37
Thanks for the review, forgottenlor! Very interesting read as usual

Unfortunately, this is something I won't enjoy so I will have to pass up. The graphics is too ugly for my liking, and sounds too much of survival management game than an RPG.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2019, 07:22
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
One of the best games I've ever played. Morrowind meets Mount & Blade or something. Very unique and crazy, loved it, played it for 200 hours and barely scratched the surface! Highly recommended if you want something a bit unique, different, and somewhat hardcore.
Agreed. I would add a word of caution to those opposed to such things that there is a real grind, but it can be tweaked to your personal tastes pretty damn well with mods in the workshop. There are a ton of mods for all sorts of things.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 3rd, 2019, 07:25
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
And I would caution there is a grind, but it can be tweaked to your personal tastes pretty well with mods in the workshop. There are a ton of mods for all sorts of things.
Yeah, tons of great mods, I must have ended up with 25 of them installed over time. I even modded it myself a bit but never released it (it was a companion Shek character). I'm not sure if grind is the right word though, I mean, it's all gameplay, you build up your strength like you do in an RPG, it just takes some time. I never felt like I was grinding, I was always having fun.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

April 3rd, 2019, 07:45
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Those graphics are really bad. Talk about lifeless and drab. And I'm someone who loves desert settings, but definitely not this one. The desert should be way more colorful and interesting than this brownish-grey drab landscape of nothing
It has more than 1 biome..

Pretty easy to mod too if you don't like something, e.g making the desert colorful (not sure too many would agree that a desert wasteland should be colorful or even that interesting).

The graphics aren't great, they have that thing where the world just doesn't feel very.. solid, where things are drawn and changed and stuff pop-ups.. pretty sure i had the settings at highest when i tried it the last time.. lighting is poor.

It's one of those games i think i would love if i could get into it, the engine is a bit of a turn-off..
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2019, 07:53
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Yeah, tons of great mods, I must have ended up with 25 of them installed over time. I even modded it myself a bit but never released it (it was a companion Shek character). I'm not sure if grind is the right word though, I mean, it's all gameplay, you build up your strength like you do in an RPG, it just takes some time. I never felt like I was grinding, I was always having fun.
I was thinking more of the collection of books, artifacts, etc. for the advancement of research. If you want to keep building your tech and city, you have to keep collecting all that, and some of it is quite rare (hint: mods) and the numbers needed high (additional hint: mods). I think that aspect qualifies for the term "grind."

But that all also depends upon how you play the game. I'm temporarily away from my game as a robot colony building towards an uprising against their human oppressors. I have yet to play it as more of a wandering RPG, which was the creator's primary intent.

But I also take your point. Before I even looked at the workshop, I was roleplaying scenarios in my head for each expedition my robots took in search of the advanced technology of the past.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 3rd, 2019, 08:00
And I think the game is far from ugly. It's very unique looking, each biome is unique and consistent and looks cool and different from the rest. And it's got a ton of biomes to explore, each with their own lore and quirks, too. It's a beautiful game but I guess it's an acquired taste?
@Capt. Huggy Face, I played it mostly as a wandering and "make your own adventure" game. I wasn't really grinding for books but I was trying to explore ruins and just see the world. I can see if your focus is grinding the research books, but even then, as you mentioned I would approach it like its own little adventure with its own unique story as I explored. So to me it just never felt like grinding but you're right, it could be interpreted as that. I think the game is a ton of fun and really the first of its kind, ever.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

April 3rd, 2019, 08:10
My second game will be the wandering type. I find it intriguing and a bit intimidating that I have so much left to do in the city-building play style at 90 hours in (which certainly does include plenty of other things. You can't just turtle it up all the way. You have to get out in the world.), and there is a whole other side of the game that was the primary intent that still lies ahead.

I'm going to have to decide to give up my robots first, though. Might be a while.
Last edited by Capt. Huggy Face; April 3rd, 2019 at 08:21. Reason: Added my play time.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Kenshi Review