RPGWatch Feature - Vaporum Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Vaporum Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Vaporum Review

September 23rd, 2019, 21:32
Forgottenlor checks out the dungeon crawler Vaporum.

Since the success of The Legend of Grimrock in 2012, many indie developers have tried their hand at making a first-person grid based dungeon crawler with varied success. While Vaporum might look like a Grimrock clone at first glance, it does enough different to stand on its own feet. First is the rarely used steampunk setting. In addition, Vaporum has a story, and the kind of storytelling it employs was clearly inspired by System Shock and its successors (like Bioshock and Prey). Also, in Vaporum you don't control a party, but a single character and that character's abilities are determined by his rig, a kind of exoskeleton. Lastly, Vaporum has an optional pause system, which lets you tackle combat in either real time, or real time with pause. While doing some different things is fine and good, executing them well is the key. Vaporum is clearly developed with a limited budget, but when one takes that into account it generally has well designed, if not incredibly original elements.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2019, 23:22
Thank you, Forgottenlor!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 02:34
Solid review, Forgottenlor. I played this several years ago and had a great time, not sure I'd ever replay it but the first run through was excellent.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

September 24th, 2019, 06:08
Danke for another great review, Forgottenlor!!

I have this game wishlisted and I surely will get it up ahead.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 08:01
Thanks for the review, Forgottenlor!
I'm sure this is a solid game and I might give it a go if it makes its way into my library somehow, but the ol' jiggy dance around enemies makes this an instant no-go for me.

I hope ya'all see the light someday that is glorious turn-based!

Darkheart

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 11:06
Thank you for the great review, Forgottenlor!

One little thing. You cannot change the exo-rig after you first choose one. You can change different armors that in a way align with the three basic rigs (excluding the assault rig), but are not the rigs themselves.

MickTheMage

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 15:54
Originally Posted by MickTheMage View Post
Thank you for the great review, Forgottenlor!

One little thing. You cannot change the exo-rig after you first choose one. You can change different armors that in a way align with the three basic rigs (excluding the assault rig), but are not the rigs themselves.
As a player I thought that the armour carried the passive bonuses that sort of defined each rig, whether that was a bonus to attack, integrity, fumium, energy, or whatever else. I was not aware that the initial choice of rig was still important once I switched out the armour. Does the rig still maintain a passive bonus once the armour is changed out? Or is there something else which differentiates each suit?

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 15:57
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Thanks for the review, Forgottenlor!
I'm sure this is a solid game and I might give it a go if it makes its way into my library somehow, but the ol' jiggy dance around enemies makes this an instant no-go for me.

I hope ya'all see the light someday that is glorious turn-based!
Well I'm not sure if you can tolerate real time with pause, but the combat was for me much less stressful than in Legend of Grimrock and other similar games. Its really executed well, and is not some half-ass pause system which many games have.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 17:54
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
As a player I thought that the armour carried the passive bonuses that sort of defined each rig, whether that was a bonus to attack, integrity, fumium, energy, or whatever else. I was not aware that the initial choice of rig was still important once I switched out the armour. Does the rig still maintain a passive bonus once the armour is changed out? Or is there something else which differentiates each suit?
Basically, the rig serves as class selection in other games. So yes, if you equip different armor the basic bonus from the rig is still there. But imho that is the beauty of Vaporum RPG system – almost every build is viable.

MickTheMage

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 24th, 2019, 20:58
The gear is most definitely hard to initially get your head around, but once you decide on a build that works for you, the gear available makes total sense. I would advise against trying to be jack of all trades, rather, specialize in something and you'll have few issues.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Vaporum Review