What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 240 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 1st, 2019, 15:35
Yes, Stardust is awsome.
Peter Jackson's rubbish is not, it's avoid at all costs and seriously read books instead even if you don't have time for books.

Recent years fantasies I find fun, those I can remember from top of my head, probably there were more:

- Haven't watched all Harry Potter movies but the first two are good, maybe others are too
- All Pirates of the Caribbean are fun, oh yes, it's all fantasy
- The Forbidden Kingdom (Jackie Chan reprises his drunken master role, accompanied with Jet Li the movie couldn't fail)
- Viy (distributed in USA under title The Forbidden Empire), the sequel will soon appear in cinemas so prepare by watching the first movie
- The new Jumanji with The Rock and Jack Black (the old one is pathetic)
- Pan's Labyrinth is possibly the ultimate fantasy movie but is not for kids, Ni No Kuni 1 story is kids' version but is vastly inferior and naive to the point of inflicting pain to the player/reader
- Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds is not a classic fantasy, nevertheless is amazing, but I have to suggest waiting till all 4 movies are released (currently 2 are out)
- All three Detective Dee movies, don't be fooled by "detective" in the title it's still fantasy
- Blade of the Immortal, possibly the most faithful wuxia fantasy manga adaptation ever
- Percy Jackson, a bit cringy, but fun, both movies. A shame they didn't make more of these.

Bonus notes:
- I wrote in this thread before that to me the most beautiful movie ever made is fantasy: The Legend of the Demon Cat, but it's story is bland due to draconian censors in the country of origin so watch it if you care only for eyecandy
- Similar can be said for Mirror Mask, visually stunning yet the story sucks
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; October 1st, 2019 at 16:56.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 16:09
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I would recommend the Hobbit Trilogy.
Sarcasm, right?
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

October 1st, 2019, 16:19
The first Jackson trilogy was decent, not awesome, but at least I can watch them. The Hobbit series, those I care for a lot less. The first one was kind of ok, but the second and last…..no. Just no.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 17:02
Talking of Stardust, which is quite good, I keep thinking of enchanted - an alternative approach to the evil witch

Maybe next year disenchanted will be released….

Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I somewhat remember Stardust being good but I can't seem to recall any other "recent" good fantasy movies.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 17:06
Ad Astra: a very ambitious film. If you keep your expectations at bay, it is actually quite fun to watch.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 17:47
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
So could you give a short list of films you would consider 10/10?
Hmmm, this whole "best ever" concept seems ill-fated to me.
I'm pretty much a Devourer of All Things Worthy (tm) -- and as such, my preferences vary wildly from time to time.

If I'm in the mood for some thrash, having fun with Rambo 3 is pretty OK, so I guess Rambo 3 is a "must watch" for thrash.
If I'm in a surreal mood, Holy Motors is great -- so I guess Holy Motors is a "must watch" for weird.
If I'm philosophical, Bergman's Seventh Seal is awesome -- so I guess the Seventh Seal is a "must watch" for intellectuals.
If I'm in the mood for …
… anyway, you get my gist.

TL;DR: I think there is no "ultimate" best stuff, but there are highlights of any given category you don't want to miss - if the category is of any interest to you.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 20:27
Didn't really care for it - esp the part with pirates….

Originally Posted by duerer View Post
Ad Astra: a very ambitious film. If you keep your expectations at bay, it is actually quite fun to watch.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 2nd, 2019, 07:59
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Joxers post about stuff
This isn’t a post about books but of course I’ve read the lord of the rings, 3 or 4 times and in 2 different languages. ��
The Hobbit films… yeah let’s not talk about those, they are best forgotten.
Pans Labyrinth was great ���� I saw it about 15 years ago and some scenes still haunt me.
Thanks for all the other tips I’ll check them out.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 2nd, 2019, 08:41
The fam and I just watched the critically panned, box-office failure known as Mortal Engines… and we all absolutely loved it. None of us have read the books, but the kids are now keen to.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 3rd, 2019, 22:51
Birds of Prey trailer review: NO!
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 7th, 2019, 10:43
Not Angry Birds ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

October 7th, 2019, 23:50
Saw Joker today and before Joker the trailer for Birds of Prey. For Joker - it might be a fantastic movie but it was absolutely zero fun. One of the recent batman (just before Ben's version) was very dark and gritty but redeeming at the end. Joker was like that but without anything to redeem it at the end. Just sour and biting.
-
Birds of Prey - not sure it will be much fun but maybe.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 8th, 2019, 18:18
Originally Posted by you View Post
Saw Joker today and before Joker the trailer for Birds of Prey. For Joker - it might be a fantastic movie but it was absolutely zero fun. One of the recent batman (just before Ben's version) was very dark and gritty but redeeming at the end. Joker was like that but without anything to redeem it at the end. Just sour and biting.
I'm not sure if a Joker film could ever have the concept of redeeming as an ending but otherwise I agree that it lacked fun.

Joker (2019) freshly back from the cinema having avoided pretty much all hype and discussion prior to seeing it.

This is a very well made movie. It oozes class and distinction in the film making craft. Having recently seen Taxi Driver for the first time (see above a page or two) TD was still very fresh in my memory and from a very early point in the film I started getting the impression that Joker was a clever modern remake of Taxi Driver. Then all of a sudden Robert De Niro pops up as a supporting cast actor. Then Joker's colleague at work is a spitter for De Niro's work colleague in Taxi Driver. Then Joker has a scene where he practices pointing his gun at people while at home.

And Joker doesn't really go beyond that. It stays a very low key, subdued realism piece that charts a man's decent into psychopathy. For a film about the Joker it surprisingly lacks either tension, humour or even that je ne sais quoi of the likable villain. Jack Nicholson, Mark Hammil and especially Heath Ledger were always going to be hard acts to follow and this interpretation of Joker doesn't bring any real sense of unabashed anarchy, it's more a case of success by mistake, Life of Brian style. No criminal masterminding on show here.

I can't fault anything about the film from a practical perspective and I enjoyed it while watching it, but when I left the cinema I found myself yawning all the way home. I guess that while the film's playing one is kept in anticipation for something exciting to happen, when it's over there's nothing left to surpass the primary emotion that was on display, sleepiness. Now off to watch youtubers talk about it. 3.5/5

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

October 9th, 2019, 15:06
I will be watching Joker when it arrives on Blu, so I have only seen the trailers, but those reminded me more of King of Comedy than Taxi Driver.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 9th, 2019, 22:13
It could well also be taking stuff from King of Comedy, another Scorsese/De Niro movie, that would make sense, though I've never seen it so I couldn't say, but I'll take your word for it. The copying of Taxi Driver is very self evident, looking around it's been a very commonly noticed thing.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 10th, 2019, 21:11
I don't know if it copies or not but did you expect the head shot ?

Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
It could well also be taking stuff from King of Comedy, another Scorsese/De Niro movie, that would make sense, though I've never seen it so I couldn't say, but I'll take your word for it. The copying of Taxi Driver is very self evident, looking around it's been a very commonly noticed thing.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 10th, 2019, 23:05
Of course, I expected literally nothing else.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 10th, 2019, 23:27
@you Um… spoiler tags?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

October 11th, 2019, 00:19
Father wanted to rewatch Gladiator (2000) tonight (Russel Crow fan). I've seen this loads of times over the years. Man, that is such an all time classic. Someone asked me recently in this thread to name movies that get close to 10/10 and Gladiator is certainly up there in the running. Sure, it has it's flaws, but, wow, do they get overshadowed by the sum of the parts. To which the biggest of those parts are Joachim Phoenix's utterly reprehensible villain paired off against Russel Crow in top form, wonderfully supported by Oliver Reed's final performance. In fact the whole cast is perfect and it would be criminal to leave anyone out.

The weaker aspects come entirely from the script, which is mostly great but just occasionally a bit dumb or not-very-logical which briefly takes one out of it for a moment.

The effects and overall look and atmosphere stand up still to this day. I believe many of it's memes are also still en-vogue even to this day. 2.5 hours flashes by in what seems like an hour.

4.5/5

[I thought this was great serendipity what with Phoenix currently playing the Joker (which my dad had no knowledge of), so thought I'd share and remind everyone of Phoenix's villain legacy].

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 11th, 2019, 02:24
You've never seen a camera take a head shot before ? Hum guess you are spoiled.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
@you Um… spoiler tags?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread