The TV Series discussion thread - Page 237 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 13th, 2019, 19:06
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
They shouldn't switch stuff out just to be different or because it has been done before, that it makes sense is more important and here it made a lot of sense.

It is generic and very similar to a western where the saloon is usually the one place where criminals and bounty hunters clashes. No one would argue for a Western "why are they fighting in a saloon, just like in that previous movie?"

It's much about creating a certain atmosphere too.
Again, it's the frequency of the overly familiar that I had a problem with.

But I'm not here to tell you it's wrong to enjoy the familiar like that.

As JDR said, some people enjoy seeing the same things over and over. I guess that's why they keep remaking Iron Man?

Those animated cartoons make billions and billions of dollars.

I don't know. I can only tell you what my opinion of the first 20 minutes of the show was.

To each his own.

That said, I don't know why we even bother to discuss a new show after a single episode, really.

Everyone is scrambling to rate this - and it has hardly begun.

Maybe when all the episodes have been released, we can talk about how familiar it is - and how fresh it is.

Well, if I actually bother to see it

BriefDArt

Guest

#4721

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 20:40
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Exactly what? you see this comment a lot for SW i think, but why wouldnt you see e.g familiar creatures or whatever. If everything is always new then the universe wouldn't really feel like Star Wars but just like generic sci-fi, that could be any universe.

I doubt the other episodes are gonna be longer. Wouldnt really make sense to have a short first episode, usually they are longer. It's a bit unfortunate but it will also be nice with such a focused story and on one character mainly. They're not gonna have the time to fill it with "fluff".

Any hardcore SW fan should be extremely happy about this, and all the SW channels i follow (who hates the new "woke" star wars) were cheering with joy.. We'll see if it later starts pushing politics/wokeness, but hopefully they've learned something.

Watched the second episode of His Dark Materials. Still really good show..
Can't watch until 2020 apparently.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#4722

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,275
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 20:42
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I don't really watch TV at all, but I saw Lost in Space on Netflix and watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. Does it stay mostly like a soap opera? So far it focuses on relations between crew members much more than on surviving an alien world. I also don't think much of the new "doctor". It seems a horrible casting job.
Is that the one about the family being stranded?

If so I couldn't stand it at all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#4723

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,275
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 22:31
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I won't ask again for a scene, because i don't think i will be provided by one. But it would be interesting to understand what other people (perhaps not total SW fans like myself) sees as fan service. Maybe i'm blind to it, or i would disagree, i can not know until i know what it is.
Examples of fan service would be.. Storm troopers just to have them. The Land speeder with the R2 droid. The people frozen in carbonite. The Mandalorian using a wrist lasso and tuning fork gun as if every Mandalorian uses the exact same gear as Bobba Fett. The little aliens (same race as Jabba the Hutt's buddy) being spit-roasted over a fire. The bounty revelation at the end.

Those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll attempt to rationalize how each and every one of those isn't fan service in the least.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4724

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 22:34
After years of coming here, I have finally come to the conclusion that most Watchers are unhappy people, and have not properly learned to find joy in the little things.


Cookie cutter responses will be along the line of "so people can't have a different opinion than you?" or similar responses both smug and sarcastic in the same vein. Or even better, some sort of attempt to create a paradox: "U complainy rite naow, iz saem ting!"


LifeTip: If you have a common pattern of proactive negativity, it's past opinion. It's depression. Get help! It's why people don't invite you anywhere!
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#4725

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,122
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 22:40
People who assume that people must be depressed as a result of using their brain are likely to be:

A. Not using their own brain and aware that they probably should but are too afraid
B. In denial about their own sad state of life so they must project happiness
C. Both
D. Trump voters
E. All three

It is actually and, in point of fact, the way of things.

BriefDArt

Guest

#4726

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 22:42
I happen to know for a fact that Caddy snuck over the boarder and posed as a US citizen so he could vote for Trump.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4727

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 13th, 2019, 23:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Examples of fan service would be.. Storm troopers just to have them. The Land speeder with the R2 droid. The people frozen in carbonite. The Mandalorian using a wrist lasso and tuning fork gun as if every Mandalorian uses the exact same gear as Bobba Fett. The little aliens (same race as Jabba the Hutt's buddy) being spit-roasted over a fire. The bounty revelation at the end.

Those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll attempt to rationalize how each and every one of those isn't fan service in the least.
Why wouldn't these characters be there, they didn't make sense? Landspeeder with R2 unit, super generic thing to this universe. It's like saying seeing a tie-fighter or an x-wing is "fan service". Doesnt make sense.

The scrubby looking, war-torn Stormtroopers, i thought it was cool to see them hiding out. I expect to see them ofcourse, just like Mandalorians. How is it fan service to see Stormtroopers in Star Wars?

Sure, Jabbas buddy species getting roasted, it might be considered fan service (a 2 second scene). Hardly ruined it.

Bounty revelation.. I don't see why all species have to be new to the SW universe? Doesn't really make too much sense and it would not feel like a very consistent universe if everything must be something never used before.

Boba Fett is a Mandalorian, why wouldnt they use the same gear or armor? Consistency is very good to have because it makes things feel connected.

Really, with that kind of view of what fan service is you can not really include anything Star Wars in a Star Wars series. It wouldn't be much of a SW series if we can't show certain ships because we've seen them before or Stormtroopers or techniques used by e.g bounty hunters.


Each to his own, but that's really not what most people would consider fan service, its just stuff that exists in the SW universe and which we expect to see.

I made the example before of seeing Rambo killing bad guys and saying "it's fan service, he's done that before!". Sure, true enough, fans expect it, it's serving the fans what they want. But then just about everything is fan service, a horror movie that has horror, "fan service!"

I don't think i want to play this game
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
Last edited by vurt; November 14th, 2019 at 00:07.
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4728

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 00:34
Originally Posted by BriefDArt View Post
People who assume that people must be depressed as a result of using their brain are likely to be:
The opposite. Negativity and fear are controlled by the Amygdala. A reactionary defence mechanism that hearkens back to our more primitive days, designed to protect us. So displaying a pattern of negativity actually shows that we are reverting to our default state, rather than "using our brain".
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#4729

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,122
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 00:46
Originally Posted by jdr13 View Post
i'm sure you'll attempt to rationalize how each and every one of those isn't fan service in the least.
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Spoiler – a whole lot of rationalizing…
….
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4730

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 00:47
This is the tv series discussion thread. Exactly which series are being discussed that are about negativity, Trump and brain usage?
Back OT.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#4731

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 00:57
Deleted another post that was way off-topic. JDR13 might not have refreshed the page. The next person though gets an infraction.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#4732

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
.
How is it rationalizing? Good try. If you don't want star wars in a SW series then perhaps star wars isn't for you? Just a thought
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4733

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:08
yeah because i'm the one who's posting pictures instead of having arguments.. oh wait
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4734

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:09
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
yeah because i'm the one who's posting pictures instead of having arguments.. oh wait
What argument? Claiming "That isn't fan service because I say so!" isn't an argument, it's just you being a fanboy.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4735

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:12
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What argument? Claiming "That isn't fan service because I say so!" isn't an rgument, it's just you being a fanboy.
Hardly. I explained in detail and i've never said "That isn't fan service because I say so!". The post is there for everyone to see and read and they can see how you are lying.

I'm not a fan boy either, i really dislike Disney and the new trilogy i wish i could be a SW fanboy though, because it would mean the movies would have been great instead of woke BS..
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4736

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:14
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Hardly. I rationalized in detail and i've never said "That isn't fan service because I say so!". The post is there for everyone to see and read and they can see how you are lying.
Yes, we know you rationalized. I predicted it before you even began, remember?

And yes, the post is indeed right there for everyone to see.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4737

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:20
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yes, we know you rationalized. I predicted it before you even began, remember?
..remember that i asked you how it's ""rationalized"", and you had absolutely zero arguments and instead posts pictures, like a small child who's been very butthurt?

"stormtroopers in star wars is fan service!" lol. good game man.. good game.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4738

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:26
This is how it's rationalized..

Spoiler


If you're really too stupid to understand what rationalization is, which seems to be case, then there's not much I can explain to you. Feel free to continue on alone from here. I'm done replying to you over this matter.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4739

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,906
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 01:50
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I don't really watch TV at all, but I saw Lost in Space on Netflix and watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. Does it stay mostly like a soap opera? So far it focuses on relations between crew members much more than on surviving an alien world. I also don't think much of the new "doctor". It seems a horrible casting job.
It completely goes off the rails in the last 2 or 3 (?)episodes. A fake plot conflict that might have worked in the 50s when we were TV dumb. There were a couple good things about the reboot show, and the story stumbles might get fixed in season 2.

I was a big Lost in Space fan as a kid (yea Angela Cartwright) but the show got completed eclipsed by the new show on the block. STAR TREK. The silly plot lines of the original LOS seemed beyond amateurish to my young mind after watching TREK.

The current LOS show runners seem to hunger for that 1960s silliness but trying their hardest not to do give in. But that hunger wouldn't let them go and they feed it in the last 2 episodes.

two things
1) I liked the early episodes of the reboot
2) the show is beautiful to watch, I'll probably be back for season 2
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4740

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch