The TV Series discussion thread - Page 238 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 14th, 2019, 01:53
Rationalization…



Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If you're really too stupid to understand what rationalization is, which seems to be case, then there's not much I can explain to you. Feel free to continue on alone from here. I'm done replying to you over this matter.
^ See now this is a great example of rationalization. An attack on ones intelligence to preserve their ego, becomes rationalization of their error.

Rationalization: To justify an immoral act, or illogical behaviour. “The process of thought by which one justifies a discreditable act, and by which one offers to oneself and the world a better motive for one's action than the true motive”

Explanation: To make plain, manifest, or intelligible; to clear of obscurity; to illustrate the meaning of.

It's quite obvious @vurt was offering the latter…

Unless you wish to continue by offering "justification" as a blanket label for any reply here-after?
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#4741

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 03:03
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Rationalization: To justify an immoral act, or illogical behaviour. “The process of thought by which one justifies a discreditable act, and by which one offers to oneself and the world a better motive for one's action than the true motive”

Explanation: To make plain, manifest, or intelligible; to clear of obscurity; to illustrate the meaning of.

It's quite obvious @vurt was offering the latter…
What's quite obvious is that you can't tell the difference.

What's also obvious is that you're still butthurt over our recent interactions in this thread and the one about The Witcher Netflix show. Hence, you taking this opportunity to launch an attack here. Congrats, you've earned your participation award.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4742

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,896
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 05:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What's quite obvious is that you can't tell the difference.
And we still wait with bated breath for your enlightenment!

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What's also obvious is that you're still butthurt over our recent interactions in this thread and the one about The Witcher Netflix show. Hence, you taking this opportunity to launch an attack here. Congrats, you've earned your participation award.
Red Herring: "Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument."
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#4743

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 09:21
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
And we still wait with bated breath for your enlightenment!
Enlightenment about what? I already know from past experiences with you that you'll just continue to argue ad nauseam regardless of what is said.

And who is "we" btw? You and that 1 other person who disagrees?

Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Red Herring: "Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument."
Awe.. how cute, another definition. If I'm ever confused about what a word means, I'll make sure to come find you.

Nope, not a red herring, but that's a nice attempt at projection on your part. I'm just calling out what's plain to see. You're still butthurt over recent interactions.

Since you don't normally go around attacking people, it's pretty obvious.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4744

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,896
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 09:28
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If you're really too stupid to understand what rationalization is, which seems to be case, then there's not much I can explain to you. Feel free to continue on alone from here. I'm done replying to you over this matter.
It's not really how argumentation works, i gave some very detailed explanations as to why your arguments doesn't really work here. But sure, a simpleton like yourself is obviously gonna use "hurr durr it's rationalization durr!" so you don't have to defend yourself.

I'm done too, and i'm done on the forum for a while because wow, i had forgotten what kind of people lurks around this really depressive forum. There are far more intelligent discussions to be had elsewhere, fortunately.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#4745

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 10:42
Wow, this certainly escalated.
@Caddy and @vurt

You guys really need to concern yourself a little less about how other people dislike the stuff that you like.

This resembles "my dad is smarter than your dad"-level stuff.

@Caddy

I think you're taking this to heart, when it was a joke

[removed off topic stuff]
Last edited by Eye; November 14th, 2019 at 11:07. Reason: After warning, continuing the off topic discussion

BriefDArt

Guest

#4746

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 11:16
I'm confused as to why DArt would receive an infraction when nothing was given to Vurt or Caddy despite their repeated efforts to drag out the argument after we were warned.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4747

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,896
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 11:21
I didn't even notice the warning - so I didn't actually ignore it.

Hehe, but I don't mind. I'll take all the infractions out there. If only you could ban all my future IP addresses, that would be doing me a favor

BriefDArt

Guest

#4748

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 11:23
@JDR13
Because I saw some connection to this thread. Again, negativity and brain usage are way off topic in this thread. Start your own thread if you’d like to talk about those things.

If you’d like to (continue to) discuss why some people get an infraction and others don’t, this thread is not the place to do that either btw.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#4749

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 11:25
I watched the first 4 episodes of the newest season (10) of The Walking Dead this week.

I have to admit I didn't think the show could continue to get even worse than it already was the last 3-4 seasons. I was wrong.

Some of the situations, and the character's reactions to them, are just unbelievably dumb.

They really need to wrap this series up. It's not even a shell of what it once was.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4750

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,896
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 11:27
Amazing that show is still going

I should mention that I saw S2 of Kominsky Method - and I liked it. I'm not big on comedy shows - but this one is pretty endearing.

BriefDArt

Guest

#4751

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 12:07
[removed stuff not related to tv series]

Yes Cavill will make a great Witcher. What do you think about Cavill as The Witcher, Ciri?



And The Witcher and The Mandalorian will be awesome! Let us now discuss how awesome they both will be!

I have actually prepared for The Witcher series by "purposely" growing white hairs in my beard. Or maybe I started earlier when Cable appeared in Deadpool.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Last edited by Eye; November 14th, 2019 at 12:30. Reason: Removed stuff not related to tv series
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#4752

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 12:13
I am kind of confused

I never thought "fan service" in itself is bad thing. I thought there can be good, bad and neutral fan service?

However, the way Dart and JDR used the term and the way Vurt replied sounded like they consider fan service as always a bad thing? Maybe I am wrong in that interpretation?

I sort of noticed some of the examples Dart and JDR gave are from past SW movies etc. Others just went over my head. However I never thought any of them took anyway thing away from the episode in question. I just put them down to SWism. I mean its new show and its the first episode so I thought they sort of have to ground it in SW stuff to make it feel SW.

Anyway my question to DArt and JDR is, did you use the term "fan service" as bad thing about the episode or were simply observing they had fan service?
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#4753

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 12:16
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post

Is Geralt and Ciri banging in the show?
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#4754

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 12:17
Anyway my question to DArt and JDR is, did you use the term "fan service" as bad thing about the episode or were simply observing they had fan service?
This again?

I'll try one last time….

When a show does nothing new (that I could detect) and only has the safest material, including a shit-ton of fan service - I'm very, very likely to lose interest very quickly.

I'm not the arbiter of quality - and I don't mind fan service in general, not at all.

That said, my ultimate preference would be that everything in a show is there to serve the story and the characters, but I'm not sure such a show ever existed.

In this case, once again, the 20 minutes I saw of this show were pretty much 100% safe and full of fan service, instead of something genuinely engaging and fresh.

No interesting characters. No interesting plot points. No interesting dialogue.

Everything was familiar, familiar and more familiar.

As in, it was a snooze-fest.

It wasn't "bad", though.

Also, it looked good for being on TV.

BriefDArt

Guest

#4755

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 12:59
For a second opinion, since you seem so invested in what other people think, this review:

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/20…e-mandalorian/

Seems to echo my thoughts well enough.

Which is unusual, because I normally can't stand Tom Chick and his opinions.

BriefDArt

Guest

#4756

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 13:29
Originally Posted by BriefDArt View Post
This again?
Originally Posted by BriefDArt View Post
For a second opinion, since you seem so invested in what other people think, this review:
Yes this again and these two are related

The main reason for me to visit a forum is precisely because I am invested or rather interested in other people's opinion! I like to know how they think and why they think that and how is their thought process differ from mine. Sometimes I even change my ideas opinions because I find that I was missing an angle based on what others say. This happens lot less as I get order since for some reason I am beginning to becomes lot more stubborn or rather grumpy old man!

But the problem here is that, we are only communication with words. We don't see each other face to face and sometimes we are very quick with our replies and things get miscommunicationed. I think this is an example of that! Initially I thought you and JDR used "fan service" and blatant criticism and I didn't agree. I thought it was neutral fan service. However I sort of see your view now as well, which is they have not added anything new therefore things get boring with fan service. But this was not obvious to me from the your original post and it took lot of back and forth to get to that stage!


The difference however is that, I am still willing them give them benefit of doubt and hoping there will be more new and interesting stuff will be coming in the other episodes but you seems to have already given up after 20 minutes?
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#4757

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 13:41
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Yes this again and these two are related

The main reason for me to visit a forum is precisely because I am invested or rather interested in other people's opinion! I like to know how they think and why they think that and how is their thought process differ from mine. Sometimes I even change my ideas opinions because I find that I was missing an angle based on what others say. This happens lot less as I get order since for some reason I am beginning to becomes lot more stubborn or rather grumpy old man!

But the problem here is that, we are only communication with words. We don't see each other face to face and sometimes we are very quick with our replies and things get miscommunicationed. I think this is an example of that! Initially I thought you and JDR used "fan service" and blatant criticism and I didn't agree. I thought it was neutral fan service. However I sort of see your view now as well, which is they have not added anything new therefore things get boring with fan service. But this was not obvious to me from the your original post and it took lot of back and forth to get to that stage!
What happened here is that a couple of people took a different opinion to heart - and wanted some kind of "explanation" to remove whatever negative feelings that differing opinion instilled.

No, that wasn't you

I concede that, in the following exchange, things became negative for no good reason - and I consider that a shared responsibility.

However, ultimately, I think it's key to note that I have not questioned the positive opinions in the slightest.

Am I "invested" in other opinions? Of course I am.

But at the age of 43 - I'm very well aware that tastes and preferences differ.

There's really no "answer" that will reveal exactly how and why. We can dig and we can explore - but there's never really going to be a time where we can enter another person and experience a TV show in their way.

That's why I rarely challenge such opinions in that way. I can tease people - and I can certainly state my own opinion and defend it indefinitely.

But I'm not taking responsibility for how frail other people are in this particular way - and how they can't emotionally contain another person's opinion, without investigating ways in which they're somehow "wrong" or "depressed".

That's not on me

I wonder if this is another infraction? Seems to be a very flexible concept.

If so, I apologize in advance.

BriefDArt

Guest

#4758

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

November 14th, 2019, 14:09
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Anyway my question to DArt and JDR is, did you use the term "fan service" as bad thing about the episode or were simply observing they had fan service?
It was just an observation.

However, when said observation was mentioned, it apparently caused certain people to go into fanboy mode and get defensive over things.

As far as the show is concerned, I didn't think it was bad. Like I said, it didn't blow me away, but I'll continue to watch it.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4759

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,896
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

November 15th, 2019, 03:47
I completed the newest series of Veronica Mars today, and won, congrats to Neptune for giving Twin Peaks a run for its money as being one of the darkest communities on the screen. It really just continues the these set forth when the show first debuted, so I shouldn't be surprised, yet I totally was. And that ending….I suspect lots of people won't care for that, but I was always in Piz's corner so I'm ok with it.
Carnifex is online now

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#4760

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,095
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:12.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch