Couchpotato's Random RPG News - Page 38 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

November 14th, 2019, 00:00
Phoenix Point for XCOM Fans - Exploration

loading…
In this video, we take a look at exploration on the Geoscape, Phoenix Point's strategic layer. We see how players can proactively discover mission-sites and story events.
Phoenix Point - New Jericho Faction Trailer

loading…
Charismatic individualist Tobias West leads New Jericho, a group dedicated to eradicating the alien threat and restoring the Earth to exclusive human control. New Jericho maintains the world's most advanced technology and has a vast arsenal of powerful weapons that the Phoenix Project can access -- if they agree to an alliance. However, accepting New Jericho's philosophy may mean rejecting a deeper understanding of the alien threat.
Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace DLC Release Date Announced - Steam
Picking up immediately after the events of "Call of the Tenebrae", you and your companions are stunned when the mythical, long lost Elves suddenly resurface on a remote island! But surprise quickly turns to alarm as the Elves reemergence brings a secret from the past with sinister echoes of the Tenebrae Order’s ancient evil! Now, with evil bearing down on the land and the unity of the races broken, the Shattered Embrace may spell doom for all of Antaloor!
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

November 14th, 2019, 15:36
It is funny how two people can read the same thing but come to completely different understanding of what the person said.

Originally Posted by BriefDArt View Post
Seems he thinks good reviews should translate to copies sold.

These games have a small audience compared to, say, Outer Worlds - which is very heavily inspired by a game that had a dozen million copies shipped within 24 hours.

Can that audience grow? I'm sure it could - but I'd say there's a pretty rigid cap that is extremely hard to exceed if you make throwback games.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

November 14th, 2019, 15:38
A new game from Obsidian announcement in cca 6 hours from now - VG247
Daniel Ahmad, video game industry analyst with a solid track record when it comes to insider information, has revealed a few of the big bombs Microsoft is planning to drop later today on the X019 Inside Xbox episode.

We’ll be seeing one new IP from both Obsidian, and Rare unveiled on Inside Xbox. He also believes that Ninja Theory’s Bleeding Edge will get a release date. Update: Bleeding Edge’s release date has leaked.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)

November 14th, 2019, 15:53
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
A new game from Obsidian announcement in cca 6 hours from now - VG247
Probably another Windows Store exclusive game.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 15th, 2019, 01:07
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Probably another Windows Store exclusive game.
Sadly it's worse than that. It's mmo.

loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 15th, 2019, 03:01

loading…
Says its playable alone or with 3 friends in co-op. I cant consider that an MMO. Maybe it would be helpful if you started calling them JMMO”S ( Joxer massively multiplayer online)

4 player co-op falls a little short of the “massively”

Having said that Obsidian is quickly becoming an irrelevant studio to me with this and the outer worlds. Not sure how much is them and how much is Microsoft influence.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

November 15th, 2019, 03:08
Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace DLC Release Date Announced
I demand a federal investigation! It was crazy enough to see the first DLC come out. A second??? Is this some weird money laundering scheme??
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

November 15th, 2019, 03:44
No…..the force cries out in despair.

Gods it's a damn Fortnite clone…
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 15th, 2019 at 07:11.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 15th, 2019, 06:22
Diablo 4 - Gameplay & Developer Interview
loading…

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Releasing Soon
loading…

Crusader Kings 3 - How Focus and Genetics Shape A Ruler
loading…
Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms Story Trailer
loading…

Wildermyth Released for Steam Early Access - Steam
loading…
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 15th, 2019, 10:08
I think it was announced a long time ago and the general thought is they are trying to use two world ii success to make money for two world iii

Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I demand a federal investigation! It was crazy enough to see the first DLC come out. A second??? Is this some weird money laundering scheme??

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

November 15th, 2019, 11:34
Yikes, that Alaloth trailer is pretty…. terrible.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
+1:

November 15th, 2019, 15:52
How RPG studio Obsidian ended up making a survival game - PCGamer
"Everyone here loves RPGs, but we're all gamers and we try everything. And survival games started to resonate a lot more in the industry, and people were playing them and really enjoying it. And we wanted to kind of explore it: This is kind of a genre that would be interesting to dabble in, and maybe we can find a way to make something that had Obsidian DNA mixed with the survival game. We knew that if we wanted to have a smaller team and do more experimental stuff, that this fit very well with that."
Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are coming to Xbox One - VG247
Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, originally console exclusives on PS4, are heading to Xbox One.
All three will be available on the Microsoft Store and with Xbox Game Pass for console and Xbox Game Pass for PC (beta) in early 2020.
While all titles are available on PC, this will be the first time the series will be made available on an Xbox console.
Single-Player Games are Thriving, and Live Service Games Are Not - OnlySP
This past week saw a slew of financial reports from companies. In particular, Take-Two Interactive noted that both Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds performed well. Borderlands 3 sold 5 million copies in its first week post launch, which is up 50 percent from Borderlands 2. Additionally, Take-Two said The Outer Worlds was a critical and commercial success, exceeding sales expectations.
In other great news for single player games, Capcom said that Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, and Monster Hunter World have sold incredibly well and the company is looking to revive its old IP. Publisher Focus Home Interactive also stated that Greedfall and A Plague Tale: Innocence drove tremendous growth. These reports show that single-player experiences are vital to the industry.
Wreckfest drives games revenue up 117% at Embracer Group - GamesIndustry
THQ Nordic changed its name to Embracer Group in August this year, presumably to create distance between itself and subsidiary publishing label THQ Nordic.
In the three months ended September 30, 2019, Embracer Group's games division earned SEK 816 million (€76.3 million), up 117% over the previous year. The games division -- which includes the labels Deep Silver, THQ Nordic and Coffee Stain -- was buoyed by the launch of Wreckfest and the strong performance of its catalogue titles.
Embracer's various companies have 86 games in development, 49 of which have not been announced at this time. In the quarter ending on December 31, 2019, the key releases will be Shenmue III (Deep Silver) and Darksiders Genesis (THQ Nordic).
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; November 15th, 2019 at 16:47.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 16th, 2019, 06:56
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 - PDXCON Recap

loading…
For those of you who weren't able to join us in Funkhaus, Berlin for PDXCON 2019 we've put together a little something, sharing some highlights of the talks and presentations from the Bloodlines 2 team.
DISCO ELYSIUM - Meet the Scab Leader

loading…

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Release Delayed Again - Announcement
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 16th, 2019 at 08:00.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 16th, 2019, 07:52
Sigh. That survival game from Obsidian. Doesn't bode well for Microsoft's direction. At all.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 16th, 2019, 10:14
Wasn't that survival game in development before the Microsoft deal? Or do you mean obsidian is bad for Microsoft

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

November 16th, 2019, 15:14
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Sigh. That survival game from Obsidian. Doesn't bode well for Microsoft's direction. At all.
Seems it was Obsidians idea and they were working on it before the Microsoft acquisition. I suppose one could maybe argue MicrosoftÂ’s money made it possible but it seems the idea was all obsidians.

My initial thoughts were hard pass, but after reading the article ill keep an eye on it and see how it turns out.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-rpg-stud…survival-game/

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

November 16th, 2019, 17:57
I play tons of survival games but can't say this one grabs my attention at all.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

November 17th, 2019, 03:40
Path of Exile 2 Official Trailer

loading…

Path of Exile 2 Gameplay Preview

loading…

Disco Elysium Review - Gamebanshee
If you decide to play Disco Elysium, chances are it will resonate with you unlike any video game that came before it. And if not, at the very least you'll be getting a great hard-boiled mystery powered by a unique role playing system. Sure, some things could have been done better and there's plenty of room for nitpicking, but at the end of the day, Disco Elysium is a fantastic game and a once in a lifetime experience that sets a new bar for video game writing. And as a result, I can't recommend it enough.
BioWare Plans a Complete Overhaul of Anthem? - Kotaku
Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online shooter, according to three people familiar with those plans. Some call it “Anthem 2.0” or “Anthem Next.”
Obsidian one year after Acquisition - Eurogamer
I visited Obsidian Entertainment a couple of weeks ago for the reveal of the studio's first game for new owner Microsoft. If you remember, The Outer Worlds was published by Private Division, Take-Two's label for partnering with independent studios (Obsidian was independent when the deal was made). This was, then, a significant moment.

The game itself was a bit of an anti-climax - Grounded, a small-team survival game with a Honey I Shrunk the Kids hook - but I still got an opportunity to nose around the studio and see what changed post-acquisition and since I visited in August 2017.

The answer, in a nutshell, is "not a lot", which is encouraging. Obsidian still resides in the same office block in the eerily perfect city of Irvine, California, and still occupies the same amount of office space. It's still a bit tatty, which I like, and the only real sign there's now Microsoft money behind the studio is a pile of boxes with computers and monitors in them.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 18th, 2019, 14:35
Matt Chat 433: George Ziets on Mask of the Betrayer

loading…
Lots more great stuff from the one-and-only George Ziets, Digimancer! We chat the real value of expansions, creating a tight narrative for a CRPG, how many choices are too many, behind the scenes at Mask of the betrayer, small vs. large studios, and much more!
OnceLost Devs Respond to Your Feedback Q&A Video

loading…
So we asked you all to post your answers to 10 questions we posed in our subreddit, and here is our response to a select number of them! Join Ted , Julian, Vijay and Ian on our very first video appearance on the OnceLost Games YouTube channel! We have a huge journey ahead of us, but we really want your input and feedback on how to make the best game we possibly can.
The Story of Blizzard's Diablo Junior - Nintendo Life
Modern-day Nintendo fans may be able to enjoy the thrills of Diablo III on the move in 2019, but at the turn of the millennium, options for Nintendo-loving dungeon explorers were far more limited – although the outlook could have been quite different.

Following Diablo II's launch in June 2000, Blizzard's employees went in three directions. Max Schaefer and Tyler Thomson cajoled and badgered developers to join a team to work on Lord of Destruction; afterwards, most members of that team formed the vanguard of Diablo III's production. Another flock of employees drifted to the opposite side of the office and ran through iteration-after-iteration on 'Project X'.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

November 18th, 2019, 16:18
Phil Spencer Says Xbox Needs to Focus More on RPGs - wccftech
In the interview, Microsoft’s executive Vice President also mentioned the areas that he believes need more attention in the future, more particularly the gaming genres that require more focus. RPG fans will be happy to learn that the head of Xbox intends to step up on the RPG genre.
“One of the things that I’m really proud of that I see now is how RPGs are stepping up for us”, the executive said.
“Back in the day, when I think Mass Effect 1 which I worked on, Jade Empire, Fable… I remember we really staked out RPGs as something that was important.”

Spencer continued that while shooters have been going strong, the team intends to focus more on delivering role-playing-games in the future.
“Obviously first-person and third-person shooters have been strong, but it’s nice with Outer Worlds coming out, Wasteland… I think RPG is an area that we purposedly focused on and wanted to do more.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News