Interplay - Wins injunction hearing over Bethesda

aries100

SasqWatch
From Ausir's Fallout Wiki comes word that Interplay has won the preliminary injuction filed by Bethesda Softworks:
Motion Hearing held on 12/10/2009 re [3] MOTION for Preliminary Injunction filed by Bethesda Softworks LLC - Argued - "DENIED" as stated on the record by Judge Deborah K. Chasanow. (Court Reporter - Sharon O'Neill) (td, Deputy Clerk)
This means that Interplay can continue selling the Fallout Trilogy as well as working on Project v13, the Fallout MMORPG - untill the case has been finally decided. This news is also on No Mutans Allowed as well as Duck and Cover - and Blues News.
Do you think this means that Interplay will win the case?
More information.

No way!!! I'm no lawer, but I thought for sure they were headed for tears with this one. Well that is one little battle over with, now comes the war.

Bethesda will likely win in the long run, but they might decide to settle with Interplay, if they end up successfully prolonging the litigation.

Just think, when Fallout was first released, it was Interplay that could have bought-and-sold Bethesda.

Go-go Interplay. For nostalgia's sake, if nothing else. Interplay used to release some of the most interesting games out there; and certainly have more than just a few undeniable classics to their name.

It's shameful that a company like Bethesda is essentially the premier developer (from a financial standpoint) of single-player crpgs. Mediocre programming. Mediocre art direction and design. Mediocre writing.

Sure, with heavy modification a couple of their games become fairly decent; but the level of quality they're willing to accept in a released product is border-line atrocious.

In a perfect world, a company would exist with the financial resources of Bethesda, under the creative control of 1985-1999 Interplay.

Impossible, probably.

Wow Dyspaire! So much Bethesda hate, it's not good for you!
I still play Oblivion often, and really love Fallout 3, I for one am extremely happy that Bethesda made them, issues or not.

I'm also in Interplay's side, though the whole thing is more or less ridiculous. Bethesda feels like EA, that uses certain "formula" with their games. The games are very well polished and have nice graphics, but are missing the "soul", good example is Oblivion.

It's beyond my comprehension that people would back corporate undead, who have absolutely nothing to do with Brian Fargo or the glory days of Interplay - other than selling the assets to line their own pockets, while they failed to pay basic employee rights like insurance.

Whatever Bethesda's failings, they are at least a company that develops products and (presumably) pays their bills.

Ridiculous.

I'd worked for Interplay during the glory years. First title I was lead on was a major slow-ball called M.A.X., did a little work on some of the other titles here and there, and finally finished up my term at Interplay with Fallout (for what I then assumed would be greener pastures.) When I was leaving, BIS was just forming under Feargus, and Interplay as a studio was really at their peak. I was still in touch with some of my old friends there after I'd left, and it wasn't long (begin Herve Caen era) before I was hearing that Interplay was quickly degenerating, and that BIS was the only oasis in the company for a creative developer. The rest is well-documented and I couldn't say more than what most people here already know. Suffice it to say, that Interplay hasn't been the company that it once was for a very, very long time. Sad, but it's rare that any great developer/publisher stays at or near the top for very long.

I'd worked for Interplay during the glory years. First title I was lead on was a major slow-ball called M.A.X.,

Just wanted to say great job on M.A.X. It was one of the best strategy games I ever played.

Suffice it to say, that Interplay hasn't been the company that it once was for a very, very long time. Sad, but it's rare that any great developer/publisher stays at or near the top for very long.

Too true. I can think of only one that has been around since the commodore 64 days and that's EA. However, the EA of today is nothing like EA when Trip Hawkings was in charge. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion.

As for Interplay, I wish someone else would of been in charge of that company because I have very fond memories of a lot of their games.

The Interplay of old is dead. I have a soft spot for them, but that was mostly for when Brian Fargo was at the helm. I have some hope for another Interplay type of company with InXile, but it will never be like it was and especially not as a publisher. The production costs of making a game have gone up too much for Fargo to take the kinds of chances he did when running Interplay.

I will never be able to decide do I hate more Interplay or Bethesda.

In this case I'd take away everything they have with Fallout from them and give that to Obsidian (most of Black Isle ppl) or Troika (if it ever comes back).
Yea I know, law is law, and who gives a damn about common sense.
The whole Bethesda/Interplay situation makes me puke. While trey're pulling the cow in two opposite directions, their cretinous behavior will result in delaying games we (I believe) all want to see as soon as possible.

So let me repeat this:
I will never be able to decide who do I hate more:
Interplay or Bethesda.

I think Chris Taylor works there, who worked on Fallout 2 if I'm not mistaken.

You're right, he apparently rejoined them last year.

According to Wikipedia…

On September 23, 2008 Interplay relaunched its website, announcing that Chris Taylor, another member of the original Fallout development team, has joined Jason Anderson on the team working on a game codenamed Project V13, which is assumed to be Interplay's Fallout MMORPG, however if Interplay does not produce the game by 2011, it will lose the MMO license to Bethesda.

It's shameful that a company like Bethesda is essentially the premier developer (from a financial standpoint) of single-player crpgs. Mediocre programming. Mediocre art direction and design. Mediocre writing.

Actually, it's a shame that the 2 "titans" of RPGworld seem to be Bethesda and Bioware.

Bioware have better writers but the writing and stories are uninspired and cliched.
Basically their games have become like JRPGs: all story/presentation but little gameplay depth (only without the fun quirkiness inherent in SOME JRPGs).

Bethesda's problem is in trying to appeal to everyone they've dumbed down the once promising Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind had anything but mediocre art design and the writing/lore was well written).

Haven't played DA yet but I'm hoping it's really the return to form I keep hearing about. And crossing my fingers for ES: V.

Anyway, Interplay is just a name now. To me it was the developers they had which made them, not the business minds battling it out with Bethesda now.

I think Chris Taylor works there, who worked on Fallout 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Isn't Chris Taylor of Dungeon Seige fame?
He had nothing to do with Fallout 2 I think...

Back
Top Bottom