RPGs with turn-based combat

Ryanitus

Traveler
Hey everyone!

Do RPGs these days ever do turn-based combat anymore? If so, can anybody provide some titles of games for the PC?

Thanks!

http://spiderwebsoftware.com/

All games are TB from them.

Also, lots of games coming, like AoD, and Eschalon, as well as Ashes. Michael McCarthy from Troika is coming out with a squad TBS, and of course, though not an rpg, ufo:et which was just released is TB.

The last, big budget TB rpg I can think of is ToEE, and that came out a 3 or 4 years ago.

This game is definitely worth checking out: http://www.teudogar.com/home.htm

Its heavily influenced by u7, but does have TB combat. A new game, called Durgal is being made by them as well.

I would recommend a great rpg called Prelude to Darkness, but the download available now is pretty buggy and doesn't just crash, but freezes your comp and needs a ard restart. If you can deal with that, I suggest playing it.

As roqua points out, the majors have largely abandoned us. For turn-based RPG, you'll have to look at the indies. Although I haven't personally played any of the Geneforge and Avernum titles, I've heard nothing but good reviews--I'd start with Spiderweb's Avernum 4 demo and see what you think.

Yes, turn-based falls squarely in the "indie" camp at this point, but that's not such a bad thing, IMHO. Let the gfx-heavy "RPGs" gobble up the Walmart $$, while smaller indie teams of 2 or 3 developers snatch up the much smaller (but much more consistent) niche $$.

This is just following the same pattern as the indie movie business. And, as with indie movies, eventually the "big" producers get wind of this sea-change and start publishing more niche games of their own. Well, that's the theory anyway..... :)

If you haven't played Icewind Dale 2 yet, it has a pseudo-turn-based mode and is selling for less than $10. at gogamer.com.

And, of course, the one and only, the unforgettable, the KING of turn-based role-playing...

*drumroll*

... the Realms of Arkania trilogy (Blade of Destiny (1993), Star Trail (1994), Shadows over Riva (1996) :) .

How could I forget Realms of Arkania - I'm getting old :)

Bards Tale series, Dragon Wars and Wasteland are great, too.

Not to knit-pick, but I think the OP was asking about modern games with TB, or at least games this century. I guess the real answer is no if you are looking for games from big developers.

Do RPGs these days ever do turn-based combat anymore? If so, can anybody provide some titles of games for the PC?

In this millennium true turn based games are rare.

Phased combat is the closest thing:

Kotor series, Silent Storm, Night Watch ...

More strategy games (in the tradition of XCOM):

UFO: Aftermath
UFO: Aftershock
UFO: Afterlight

Last edited:
Silent Storm and Night Watch are true TB. The kotor's and Alter's UFOs are rtw/p.

But Night watch is a good example of a modern TB game, I forgot about that. Also Hammer & Sickle. Also MetalHeart. There is one I can picture but can't remember the name of.

Gods: Lands of Infinity (reviewed by me at the Dot last year) has been updated recently (check our news archives) and it is TB!!

Truth be told, pretty much the only 'major' turn-based games out now are on handhelds. I'm gaga over Etrian Odyssey, which is turn-based and also has you map the levels. That game will sell more than most AAA PC games.

I don't know how I feel about that - on the one hand at least I get the experience, but on the other hand I want it on my PC.

Oh - and GamersGate just got Day Watch, the sequel to Night Watch. I'm still in the middle of the Day Watch book, but the game looks interesting - and is fully turn-based.

Moriender, i agree with you. StarTrail is one of my favorite, i was a little let down by Shadows over riva though. I have even made a song in my early days when i was really influenced by Startrail. Don't think anybody understood the connection to the game though. :)

... I am not surprised the excellent POR2 isn't mentioned.

*And now i will get back to hiding *

Turnbased does seem to be a handheld thing, which is really a pity.

Ah well, I plan on getting Dungeons And Dragons Tactics when it hits the psp, then linking up with some friends for some 3.5 fun :)

Turnbased does seem to be a handheld thing, which is really a pity.

PC = Action.

This is the short answer of any marketing geek sitting in the towers of an big publishing company, I suppose.

It is a pity that most console turn based games have very little actual strategy or use of tactics, to succeed in them is normally a matter of either leveling your character and maxing it out with l33t gear. For example in most final fantasy games you use heat attacks against ice enemies etc etc - not exactly rocket science. Of course there are exceptions to this - although I must admit I haven't found them.

I miss the days of Jagged Alliance - setting up dynamite on the wall of a building you know is full of enemies and getting behind cover and once it blows sniping them all when they come running out.

Back
Top Bottom