Dark Alliance - New D&D Action RPG Announced

Some interviews for those who are interested.

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Interviews

VentureBeat
In the PlayStation 2 days, two of the best co-op action-RPGs on the console were the Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games. Hattem says that Dark Alliance is a spiritual successor to those games, though it changes the story and setting.

You play as either Drizzt, Bruenor, Catti-brie, or Wulfgar. Each has iconic weapons in Salvatore’s novels:
  • Drizzt wields the scimitars Icingdeath and Twinkle
  • Bruenor’s notched axe
  • Catti-brie’s magic bow Taulmaril
  • Wulfgar’s mighty warhammer that Bruenor crafted for him, Aegis-fang
“The way that Salvatore reveals those weapons in the books are some of the best bits of those books, at least for me: when Bruenor’s crafting Aegis-Fang, when Drizzt acquires Icingdeath and Twinkle as well later on,” Hattem said. “We’re definitely going to showcase them.”
GamesIndustry
Given the impossibility of truly replicating a tabletop RPG in a video game, Cocks says the options of limited when it comes to a feasible approach. "We want each game to have a point of view, and to really keep on just a couple of things and do it really, really well," he tells us. "What you don't want to do is have every game in the franchise try to do the same thing, and try to do everything all at once."

Cocks compares Wizards' licensing approach to how a good dungeon master runs the game; it's all about facilitating.

"We really don't limit people," he says. "The D&D team's job is to say 'yes' when people want to play something… The best dungeon masters tend to want to figure out how to say 'yes', and have the players do what they want to do… We want to open it up, open up the narrative possibilities, the character development, open up the level of problem solving and combat opportunities and thrills that players can be able to experience.

Hmm, so there won't be any weapon loot then, that's an interesting change. Maybe still have armor? Narrative opportunities, character development, thrills - sounds good!

Well the only thing missing is the mention of an awesome button. :biggrin:

Only read the venturebeat article but it sounded like they’re would be more weapons.

The character progression sounds like nioh or sekiro. With the focus on combat it better be good.

I’m fine with a hack-n-slash D&D game. Hopefully BG3 will be more of an actual RPG though.

Well it's official we now know it's an upgraded version of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance which I enjoyed on the PS2. The Everquest games on the PS2 were similar also.

220px-Champions_of_Norrath_Coverart.png Champions_-_Return_to_Arms_Coverart.png Baldurs-Gate-Dark-Alliance-I-II-Sony.jpg

Is the maker of this game named Cocks? ;) I would do anything to have a friend with that last name. I would yell it anytime we were in a crowded area. I guess some of us truly never grow up. I NEED TO FIND COCKS!

Cocks why are you always sticking it to me?

Have you been working out Cocks? Your veins are bulging.

Well I love the music. For those like me:

For those who don't like the style and want it softer a bit:

Too bad it's not about a singleplayer game.

Music didn't bother me as I'm a lover of all types of metal music.

That first video wasn't that bad Joxer.:)

For those who don't like the style and want it softer a bit:

Too bad it's not about a singleplayer game.

In flames? Huh. They have changed a lot then. Really like their earlier stuff.

But agree with the last statement.

Just change the lyrics for the Dark Goddess Lolth.:p

https://www.onlysp.com/wizards-of-the-coast-reveals-dark-alliance-will-feature-a-single-player-mode/
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Will Feature a Single-Player Mode

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Cocks highlighted the importance of single-player gameplay by confirming that Dark Alliance and future Dungeons & Dragons games will feature single-player modes.

“We will have single player games; we think they’re important. There will be single player modes in all of our games.”
This wording means hard pass from me for all other 6 games they're planning too. Either singleplayer only titles or I'm giving my $ to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom