ARS Article on Good Old Games

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
ARS First Look

In addition, the team at GOG has put much time into ensuring the old classics play on new computers. Working with groups like DOSBox to pack a powerful DOS emulator into games that require it and offering Audiere for high-level audio APIs, the GOG team has ensured that your old PC favorites play as you remember them on your fancy new gaming rig.

Doesn't sound like they recoded all of them given that they are working with DOSBox, but never the less, it's really cool!

I had almost expected this.

But on the other hand, if it is *professionally* done, then it could be good indeed.

Got the C&C uberpack by EA some time ago (shortly after it was released), and after a few patches it was really smooth, regardless of OS. I don't know what they need to do to make an old game compatible with new versions of Windows, but I strongly support such efforts - too many games are now lost, so it's nice to finally see some of them available again (without it being illegal).

Warhammer isn't distributed by GOG.

Since this isn't RPG related, I'm posting this retrospective over at GOG on Sacrifice here. I remember playing a bit of it when my son was way into it--it's an interesting game that was a little too difficult for me at the time(being real-time and all) but figured there may be some here who remember it fondly.

Sacrifice is a great old game, but yes, it can be pretty difficult and I think that's what hindered it's appeal to the public at large.

I tried my very best to play it, but alwwys lost, despite its originality.

The character (or rather: the form) of the "Shakti" from the game, however, moved into a short series of (partly unfinished) short stories of mine.

Sacrifice was one incredible game. I already bought it from GOG and it still looks half-way reasonable today. The high level spells are still incredible, too.

There is actually an RPG element in it - character building. Depending on what gods you do missions for, you get different creatures and spells. As you gain levels, gods get mad at you and stop letting you work for them, cutting their spells/critters off forever. It makes for one heck of a character development system. Of course, that's pretty much the only RPG element, but it was done well.

The game gets very hard until you discover The Tactic. When you start a level, bind everything you've got to a manalith. Let the enemy attack and you should be able to fight him off. Try to grab a few of his souls but make sure you don't lose any of your's. Take the souls and make more critters then wait for the next attack. You'll have more and he'll have less so you should win that skirmish. Grab even more souls, wait for another attack, and devistate him. Gather lots of souls, make lots of critters, and zerg rush the so & so. Works all the way through the game.

The end credits for the game are the funniest of any game, bar none.

Back
Top Bottom