The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Here's one for Pibbur: Have you heard the cover of your favorite song by the late, great Kevin Gilbert?

Liked it. I like cover versions when artists add something of their own to it.

Here's an interesting one, from 1929, the original:

Led Zeppelin made a very different cover of it for their 4th album:

And other artists made covers of the Zeppelin version. Here's John Campbell (1952-1993):

The W.A.S.P. implementation offers nothing new and is easily forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhTiKNrZ7M

But then we have A Perfect Circle with another very different, and IMO very creative version on their 2004 eMOTIVe album : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXYieA0tGqE.

pibbur who moans today but for completely different reasons.

Last edited:
Boo. YouTube says that video of the original "...Levee..." is unavailable. And, heh, I haven't heard anyone mention the band W.A.S.P. in a long time.

But your point about an artist adding his own spin to a cover is well taken, Pibbur. Otherwise, you might as well be performing at wedding receptions.

Leonard Cohen is the second musician this year to have died just after releasing an album that can be heard as a welcoming of death. It's not exactly "Suzanne".

You want it darker?

If I'm gonna break my silence, I suppose I ought to catch everyone up on some decent music since it appears nobody else has stepped up to properly carry the torch. :)

You'll pardon the extensive list, I've actually done a bit of exploration since I had more time available.

Excellent gaze with an unusual but enchanting vocal (reminds me of Siouxie Sioux, actually):
"We Run" by Seasurfer
"Cloudjumping" by Seasurfer
(They dropped Dorian and replaced her with Julia Beyer of Chandeen fame. Although I really enjoy Julia's work, it doesn't work as well with Seasurfer)

A band that's a little tough to reference. I think I'd call it a mix of Lush and Stone Roses. Indiepop goodness:
"Land Gone" by Novella
"Sentences" by Novella

"To Know You" by Wild Nothings
(reminds me a lot of Tears Run Rings, which is high praise)

"Fever Queen" by Nothing

I think I had put Tamaryn up before, but just in case:
"Softcore" by Tamaryn

And since I mentioned Lush earlier, it's only fair to put up some of their new work:
"Out of Control" by Lush

Don't know if I ever put these folks up or not:
"On the Run" by The Lost Patrol

That ought to do. Rebalance, as it were.

Welcome back. I'm guessing we'll be seeing you at Trumpfest in P&R?

Thanks DTE! Some there I need to (re-)listen to.

I agree with you on Dorian for seasurfer, it now sounds similar to other bands. When I commented that I preferred Dorian's voice on FB Dirk went feral, which matched his reputation.

If I may make two suggestions, if you haven't already heard them.
You may enjoy Danxia - https://danxia.bandcamp.com/

Or Chatham Rise - https://chathamrise.bandcamp.com/

The Dandy Warhols - Ohio

Seattle, Paramount Theater, 1984. I was absolutely stunned. Power. Preciseness with feeling… Remarkable performance. Seemingly impossible.

I love this lineup of the band. They sound like a precursor for Radiohead with Adrian Belew handling the vocals. I got here from listening to the Talking Heads concert a few posts before I posted this one, and I wanted to hear more from Belew. Great performer and does some crazy stuff on the guitar

Last edited:
No, you don't.

pibbur who knows that the best song ever recorded is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

PS. :) :) :) :) :):) DS.

That's weird, I let the "greatest" slip in there. I changed the quote now. :)

Led Zeppelin is cool, and Kashmir is a good song (nowhere near my favorite Zep song, though), but every time I hear it now I can't get past the Godzilla soundtrack and the Puff Daddy sampling of it. :p

Back
Top Bottom