Wizardry vs Might and Magic vs Lands of lore vs Realms of Arkania

Wizardry vs Might and Magic vs Lands of lore vs Realms of Arkania

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neritikes

Watcher
Which one of this RPG party-based series you like the most ?

I like them all, but if I have to choose: Wizardry 7

I haven't played all the games on that list, but for me it would probably be Wizardry 8 even though I like M&M more as a series.

This was a tough one. Reminds me that we haven't really seen the rpg blobber make the retro come back that Baldur's Gate-style rpg has been enjoying. Where's our kickstarters at?

Honorable mention to Starcrawlers here. Any other good ones out there?

Love them all, but not equally. Wizardry by a landslide, but more the first four games than the latter three. Then Might and Magic, Lands of Lore, and Realms, in that exact order.

This was a tough one. Reminds me that we haven't really seen the rpg blobber make the retro come back that Baldur's Gate-style rpg has been enjoying. Where's our kickstarters at?

Honorable mention to Starcrawlers here. Any other good ones out there?

Unfortunately not. And it's infuriating. Starcrawlers & M&M Legacy are the only decent turn-based blobber titles in recent years. I guess maybe Lords of Xulima as well, though I'm not really a fan of the monotony in its latter half.

Recently, I tried playing some Zavix Tower, an abysmally simplistic game, and it only garnered playtime due to the sheer scarcity of titles in the genre.

As for the poll, it's a tossup between Wizardry 8 and M&M VI, but I chose M&M for its plethora of dungeons.

Might and Magic easy winner for me. I liked Wizardry 7&8 but the large land masses and many dungeons push M&M over the top. Battles in Wiz 8 could take to long without the mod that speeds it up. Monster variety in M&M is maybe the best ever in a crpg.

Might and Magic 6, followed very closely by Wiz 8. TBH though all the M&Ms and Wizardry's are great.

I have yet to play any of the RoKs, and I need to rectify that, soon.

Lands of Lore seems a bit out of place with the others. I feel like it belongs on a separate poll comparing it with Eye of the Beholder, Grimrock, Dungeon Master, other realtime blobbers.

Edit: I do enjoy LoL, though I haven't played it since it's release, twenty some years ago.

Wizardry 6 was my favorite by a long shot. The was just something about the flow of the gameplay, the map design, and slowly revealing the story as you explored. Although it did jump the shark a bit once you left the castle.

How about an option for none as those games don't interest me.:p

I won't vote because I didn't play some of them. Means that I can't really judge.

I haven't played all the games on that list, but for me it would probably be Wizardry 8 even though I like M&M more as a series.
Exactly my opinion...

Played all, though I only played Wizardry 8 for a couple of minutes some years ago. That said I also feel like the "range" of games should have excluded Wizardry 8 and Might and Magic 6/7 as they are of a "newer generation". In that regard you could also have added Lands of Lore 2 and 3 to make the LOL trilogy complete.

Feels weird that Eye of the Beholder is missing.
Also the Ishar trilogy is missing here, though not that I expect that many people vote for it. Not that I would have done that but...I had a lot of fun with the second and third game.
I guess this poll is about game series though, especially trilogies, and not just blobbers. Otherwise Dungeom Master 1/2 and Stonekeep could be added as well.

Out of that list I spent far the most time into the Reals of Arkania Games. And from them I'd consider the second one as best, followed directly by the first.
And very close to that I'd put Lands of Lore which is actually one of the very few games I finished multiple times.

One thing in common: Awesome music and I still listen to the music of all 3 Realms of Arkania Titles as well as Lands of Lore (and Stonekeep)

Perfectly said.

Back
Top Bottom